Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Sun 1 Oct, 2006 04:50 pm
How very convenient.

Is that an assertion ros based on an article in National Geographic?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:00 pm
spendius wrote:
How very convenient.

Is that an assertion ros based on an article in National Geographic?

Pterasaurs could fly, Dragonflies could fly, birds could fly, there's no indication of radical changes in proportions of atmospheric elements or radical chnages in temperature. Can we assume the planet wasn't twice as massive back then, or is that too much of a strecth for you?

Aerodynamically, conditions were similar to today.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:01 pm
Ros,The big superorder Ungicuilates(which contains the bats) crossed the K/T boundary, but weve got very few representatives of all the mammal orders going back to the Jurassic or seeing their evolution. At least Im not aware of anything new , and my copies of the Treatise on vert Paleo have only a few of the suborders and even fewer where there are more than one fossil. Even those were like the one Francis presented 'already fully formed". being small, and being mostly above land is not a great recipe for fossilization. .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 1 Oct, 2006 05:10 pm
farmerman wrote:
Ros,The big superorder Ungicuilates(which contains the bats) crossed the K/T boundary, but weve got very few representatives of all the mammal orders going back to the Jurassic or seeing their evolution. At least Im not aware of anything new , and my copies of the Treatise on vert Paleo have only a few of the suborders and even fewer where there are more than one fossil. Even those were like the one Francis presented 'already fully formed". being small, and being mostly above land is not a great recipe for fossilization. .

I wonder how diverse and well adapted the mammals were before the K/T boundary. It's a shame we can't find more of the rare animals in the fossil record. Most people forget that what we do find in the fossil record probably represent the "sparrows" (very common) of those times.
0 Replies

Eorl

Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:33 pm
Well ros, if you can't produce proof of every single individual creature that ever existed, I think we'll have to fall back on magic as the answer to everything.
0 Replies

farmerman

Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:13 pm
As far as most evolutionary scientists , I believe that theyd agree that one well defined and evidenced evolutionary trail left in the fossil record is all it really takes to make the point. That is , of course , unless someone would say that some organisms evolved and others didnt.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 1 Oct, 2006 08:52 pm
Eorl wrote:
Well ros, if you can't produce proof of every single individual creature that ever existed, I think we'll have to fall back on magic as the answer to everything.

Darn, I really wanted to see a small mammal which glided around on webbed feet, just like a Wallaces Flying Frog. But I guess bats just poofed into being right when that oldest fossil was found.

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/animals/images/primary/wallaces-flying-frog.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:24 am
fm wrote in a fit of indignation-

Quote:
Why should I beat myself up over something like you spendi? Youve been using your posts to divert most of us away from subjects at hand.

What is the subject you have decided to have at hand today?

Oh yes- of course- the subject you are most comfortable with; namely the spotlight that shines on you.

Nothing to do with intelligent design though . Not that I mind but it's a bit stiff when I'm on topic and I'm the one singled out for not being by those who, when faced with real anti-ID, are diverting every which way so long it is something they know about and few others do.

Not scared of real anti-ID are you by any chance?

Seems to me you want just enough anti-ID to get attention and you run around like chickens at the mention of two famous anti-IDers.

Real anti-IDers need your cutesy, all-nonsense frilly-lace anti-ID like we need the vamp on the bar going puritan when her knee is stroked.

You've had so many people on with assertions that you've started having yourself on.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:48 am
Can't say as I've noticed a single post of yours in this discussion that's been on topic, spendi - the topic is not as apparently you wish to perceive it to be. No real problem, though, as that's just your problem, and its been well more than adequately established that reality and you are not close neighbors.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:33 am
Very Happy Timber, I have no idea who **** in spendis cornflakes this morning. I
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:35 am
Come on timber-

65 million year old bats, give or take a million or two. Or even ten million or two. That's directing attention onto the self who "knows" (stop laughing at the back) a minute scorrick about such things and his own reading.

It has nothing to do with intelligent design in the sense wande asked the original question. Nothing. Not even connected. Isn't even tangential.

Not connected to the classroom, nor the school, nor the community, nor to social consequences and hence nor to educational policy. A total red herring slobbered over endlessly for no other reason than to boast and to never come to any conclusions. Perish the thought.

We daren't even post a translation of the 2 paragraphs out of Man a Machine in case it disturbs you or any lower middle-class ladies who might chance upon the thread.

Reality is not for you lot. One-way megaphones are your bag. And stupid beta minus audiences are assumed by you-not me.

How can 65 million year old bats have anything to do with intelligent design in an ongoing 300 year old industrial revolution.

You belittle humanity just like Creationists do.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 07:41 am
Quote:
Darn, I really wanted to see a small mammal which glided around on webbed feet, just like a Wallaces Flying Frog. But I guess bats just poofed into being right when that oldest fossil was found.

Sorry, Maybe theres an on-line version of the "Treatise of Vertebrate Pal;eontology", also look for an online "Treatise of Invertebrate paleontology"

Ive still got mine and its a multi volume set of stuff that should be on CD or DVD. Their a kind of nerdy set of books that , as soon as someone sees them in my office they think " THIS GUY USES POCKET PROTECTORS".
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 09:08 am
Quote:
Legislating Violations of the Constitution
(Erwin Chemerinsky, Professor of Law and Political Science, Duke University)

With little public attention or even notice, the House of Representatives has passed a bill that undermines enforcement of the First Amendment's separation of church and state. The Public Expression of Religion Act - H.R. 2679 - provides that attorneys who successfully challenge government actions as violating the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment shall not be entitled to recover attorneys fees. The bill has only one purpose: to prevent suits challenging unconstitutional government actions advancing religion.

A federal statute, 42 United States Code section 1988, provides that attorneys are entitled to recover compensation for their fees if they successfully represent a plaintiff asserting a violation of his or her constitutional or civil rights. For example, a lawyer who successfully sues on behalf of a victim of racial discrimination or police abuse is entitled to recover attorney's fees from the defendant who acted wrongfully. Any plaintiff who successfully sues to remedy a violation of the Constitution or a federal civil rights statute is entitled to have his or her attorney's fees paid.

Congress adopted this statute for a simple reason: to encourage attorneys to bring cases on behalf of those whose rights have been violated. Congress was concerned that such individuals often cannot afford an attorney and vindicating constitutional rights rarely generates enough in damages to pay a lawyer on a contingency fee basis.

Without this statute, there is no way to compensate attorneys who successfully sue for injunctions to stop unconstitutional government behavior. Congress rightly recognized that attorneys who bring such actions are serving society's interests by stopping the government from violating the Constitution. Indeed, the potential for such suits deters government wrong-doing and increases the likelihood that the Constitution will be followed.

The attorneys' fees statute has worked well for almost 30 years. Lawyers receive attorneys' fees under the law only if their claim is meritorious and they win in court. Unsuccessful lawyers get nothing under the law. This creates a strong disincentive to frivolous suits and encourages lawyers to bring only clearly meritorious ones.

Despite the effectiveness of this statute, conservatives in the House of Representatives have now passed an insidious bill to try and limit enforcement of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment, by denying attorneys fees to lawyers who successfully challenge government actions as violating this key constitutional provision. For instance, a lawyer who successfully challenged unconstitutional prayers in schools or unconstitutional symbols on religious property or impermissible aid to religious groups would -- under the bill -- not be entitled to recover attorneys' fees. The bill, if enacted, would treat suits to enforce the Establishment Clause different from litigation to enforce all of the other provisions of the Constitution and federal civil rights statutes.

Such a bill could have only one motive: to protect unconstitutional government actions advancing religion. The religious right, which has been trying for years to use government to advance their religious views, wants to reduce the likelihood that their efforts will be declared unconstitutional. Since they cannot change the law of the Establishment Clause by statute, they have turned their attention to trying to prevent its enforcement by eliminating the possibility for recovery of attorneys' fees.

Those who successfully prove the government has violated their constitutional rights would, under the bill, be required to pay their own legal fees. Few people can afford to do so. Without the possibility of attorneys' fees, individuals who suffer unconstitutional religious persecution often will be unable to sue. The bill applies even to cases involving illegal religious coercion of public school children or blatant discrimination against particular religions.

The passage of this bill by the House is a disturbing achievement by those who seek to undermine our nation's commitment to fundamental freedoms laid out in the Constitution. Should it come up for a vote, it is imperative that the Senate reject this nefarious proposal. The religious right is looking for a way to get away with violating the Establishment Clause and is now one step closer to this goal. The Establishment Clause is no less important than any other part of the Bill of Rights and suits to enforce it should be treated no differently than any other litigation to enforce civil liberties and civil rights.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 09:57 am
From the above essay on H.R. 2679:

Quote:
The bill, if enacted, would treat suits to enforce the Establishment Clause different from litigation to enforce all of the other provisions of the Constitution and federal civil rights statutes.

It was bad enough that evolution was being singled out from school curriculums, now we have the establishment clause being singled out from civil rights.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 10:03 am
wandeljw wrote:
It was bad enough that evolution was being singled out from school curriculums, now we have the establishment clause being singled out from civil rights.

A multi-pronged assault. If I were them I would do the same thing.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 10:06 am
M. La Mettrie and the Marquis de Sade would have laughed their trousers down reading such naive claptrap as would any self respecting anti-IDer.

Anyway- wande- are the public not the government?

It's all based on a pedantic reading of the Consitution which is a sacred document like the Bible is to Creationists.

Both set in stone before electricity, smart bombs, instant global cash transfers and mass media etc by uptight sodbusters to whom 300 miles was an expedition and mountain ranges almost impassable, and thus out of date.

The bill seems to me to improve the chances of local democracy not being set aside by a handful of newcomers with trouble on their minds at the expense of the locals and to the benefit of lawyers.

It isn't as if a Professor of Law can be relied upon to provide a disinterested view. Dover must have made his student's eyes glow like burning coals and their future prospects sexy to the young ladies in the vicinity.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 10:15 am
wandeljw wrote:
Quote:
Legislating Violations of the Constitution
(Erwin Chemerinsky, Professor of Law and Political Science, Duke University)
Such a bill could have only one motive: to protect unconstitutional government actions advancing religion.

Says it all.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 10:57 am
Quote:
unconstitutional government actions

What a magnificent phrase to conjure with.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 12:37 pm
Even in the worst case scenario, should this pass, go to conference, get melded with the Senates "inflammatory" version, and then pass and be signed into law. It would be self contradictory in its invoking ant- establishment clause as "protected arenas for suits".
Bizarro world.

We are wsting valuable time, but , fortunately, our country is safe for the time being.... Congress is not in session.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 2 Oct, 2006 01:55 pm
Cool. Now can we go back to talking about Bats?

Or is Spendi gonna accuse me of saying something off topic again. Smile
0 Replies