Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Wolf ODonnell

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:32 pm
spendius wrote:
wande-

You're doing it again. You define "anti-evolution" your way and come to the appropriate conclusion.

What? You mean like how you defined ID your own way and came to your appropriate conclusion?

Pot kettle black.

Quote:
One can fully agree with the whole of evolutionary theory and accept it as fact and be anti-evolution because of the social consequences of it.

And what do you propose to be an alternative to prevent the "bad social consequences" of evolution, spendi? ID?

But ID states that a god or designer did it. It reinforces the social consequences of evolution, because in addition to saying, evolution is how the world is, it also inadvertently states that a god/designer made the world the way it is, so he must therefore approve of how it is.

Quote:
You need to try to show that the consequences would be beneficial to society and stop cosying up to the luxuries you have which are the social consequences of a Christianised society.

Look, let's say for the sake of argument that the best society is a Christian society. The Christian society is how the world should be. Evolution describes what the world is like.

What the world is like and how the world should be are two different things. The perceived differences between the two drive men and women alike to improve things.

It drove African Americans to fight for equal rights.
It drove oppressed Christians to the Americas to found their free nations.
etc. etc.

In our hypothetical situation, Christianity is the dream, the goal of how the world should be. If people do not want to achieve that dream, it is the fault of the dream for not being appealing enough, not the fault of how the way the world is.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:39 pm
wande-

I can't argue with that. How can you dispute with that sort of anti-evolutionist without making the social consequences debate the only priority as I have continually pointed out since I came on here. Creationism and other isms don't come into the matter.

You just don't see the balance between science and religion from the social consequence point of view. That's why I'm incoherent. I do. Like Mr Bryan.

We have pushed science for the material benefits but at a cost to other things and we might be arriving at a point where science's ability to go much further gets beyond daft and the costs are not seen as worth it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:48 pm
spendius wrote:
timber wrote-

Quote:
Of course there is C14 in fossil fuels. Science understands and has no problem with C14 in fossil fuels, but ID-iots can't/won't come to grips with that; while their "literature" brings it up all the time, their "science" is worse than wrong, its dishonest.

As I understand and have no problem with C14 in fossil fuels, or anywhere else, and I have never brought the subject up, it must mean that I'm not an ID-iot and not dishonest and thus that to label me such is a strawman.

As amply demonstrated above, you understand and employ the principle well; a skill useful to any apprentice hoping to master the art of baiting.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:38 pm
spendius wrote:

You just don't see the balance between science and religion from the social consequence point of view. That's why I'm incoherent. I do. Like Mr Bryan.

Once or twice on this thread I have stated that your arguments are similar to Mr. Bryan's arguments in the 1920's. I just happen to disagree with you and Mr. Bryan.

Wolf has pointed out many times the fallacies involved in the "social consequence" argument. I agree with Wolf.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:39 pm
spendi-too bad you dont read others posts because youre in such a hurry to post yourown twaddle. Creationists are of a number of stripes, ID being one subspecies. The fact that Creationists like the folks from ICS dont speak of ID is because that ID recognizes and pays some respect to theistic evolution(However, it is a busy "Creator" who inserts herself at unannounced frequencies that apparently coincide with earth cataclysms-unless thats all part of the Creators plan to begin with). It doesnt mean that Creationism and ID ARE NOT related.Quite the contrary, and Ive been consistent on this point. The IDers have risen from Creationist "DNA". Youre just too dense to realize this and accept it.Youre trying to have us assume that ID just happened and owes all its structure to Paul.

It matters little to most of us what are your "beliefs " in class distinctions and "social Darwinism" , just dont come round here to teach it, we have a system of government that allows the freedom of and from religion. Your assertions (all of which are your personal delusions) would have some sort of, as yet undefined methodology, by which you would have children inculcated with your claptrap in courses reserved for math and science. Whats next on your fantasy school program?

Timber-spendi has to master much more in the conversational baiting program. He is, at best an early apprentice baiter.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:51 pm
timber-

Was the combinations of negatives too much for you.

fm wrote-

Quote:
Youre trying to have us assume that ID just happened and owes all its structure to Paul.

Why not? But in the same way that distribution of electricity starts with a spark in Faraday's lab. Faustians stem from askesis.

You're in the world of "pleasure now" with no thought for the future except some phoney lip service and concerned voiceovers.

"Take whatever you need,you'd better grab it fast."

And Religion is still a force. Without it-who knows? It's a bet.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 04:11 pm
Quote:
Faustians stem from askesis.

Explain, in the context of what you were attempting to (not) communicate, how this phrase fits in? The last time I heard askesis was in 12th grade "Apologetics"
Sure youre not some diddlehead priest ?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 05:00 pm
Pretty sure yeah. What are they? I suppose I ought to keep up-to-date on sophisticated thinking. Enlighten me.

That's why I came on here. It said ask an expert. Put me in the picture.

Isn't "diddlehead" an assertion by smear? A double uselessness in other words. A circulation of ideas so to speak.A fancy version of looking in a mirror. Not all that fancy mind you. About beta minus I should say. Stretching it a bit.Gamma plus if Mom and the aptly named Pop haven't contributed much to the school's good fortunes.

I do recognise that most folks need to feel good about themselves and what better than a smearing assertion to do the trick in one easy blurt.

But for determining education policy for 50 million kids it is a complete NONO!

In fact it is downright ignorant.
0 Replies

farmerman

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 07:01 pm
Thats why I called you diddlehead unless youve gotten your masters certification in the art of baiting
Quote:
I do recognise that most folks need to feel good about themselves and what better than a smearing assertion to do the trick in one easy blurt.
So then, you must feel better about yourself each time you post.

Ill catch up with you blokes on Saturday or Sunday right now we have to go to a concert along the pier and Ive had so damn much coffee today that I wont sleep for a week.
0 Replies

real life

Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:10 pm
wandeljw wrote:
spendius wrote:
wande-

You're doing it again. You define "anti-evolution" your way and come to the appropriate conclusion. One can fully agree with the whole of evolutionary theory and accept it as fact and be anti-evolution because of the social consequences of it. You are just betting the future's lifestyles on your pet idea and you may well win the bet but it is still a bet and it is one which you have nothing to lose due to the timescales involved.

You need to try to show that the consequences would be beneficial to society and stop cosying up to the luxuries you have which are the social consequences of a Christianised society.

spendi,

Historians have applied the term "anti-evolution" to all attempts to ban or censor the teaching of evolution. In the United States, the movement began in the 1920's with several state legislatures banning the teaching of evolution. William Jennings Bryan was considered one of the first leaders of what U.S. historians call the "anti-evolution" movement. In fact, Bryan specifically cited concerns about "social consequences" rather than disputing the scientific validity of evolutionary theory.

Well, I am not sure what label you want to put on me, and don't much care.

'Anti-evolution' sounds fine, for I am certainly opposed to the acceptance of evolution as 'fact'.

But it may surprise you to learn that I have no problem with kids learning about evolution.

My kids learned about it.

They also learned about creation.

I think the more people know about evolution, the more they can question the idea for themselves.

As for the Ohio plan, I am certainly in favor of kids approaching subjects willing to examine both (or all ) points of view.

Unfortunately (for them) this is exactly what most evolutionists are frightened to death of.

It betrays a basic insecurity in their position IMHO.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 02:29 am
Doggone it!

I'll come back.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:11 am
real life wrote:
But it may surprise you to learn that I have no problem with kids learning about evolution.

My kids learned about it.

They also learned about creation.

In a science class? Because anti-Creationists don't like Creation being taught in a science class. You wanna know why? Do you know why? We've said it so many times, I'm sure you do.

Quote:
I think the more people know about evolution, the more they can question the idea for themselves.

Which is all good and well, but the thing is you only question Evolution. Why don't you question Newton's Prinicipia? Quantum physics? Einstein's Laws of Relativity? Why is it that you only question things that do not align with your beliefs?

Science is about questioning everything without regard to one's beliefs. You, don't do that.

Quote:
As for the Ohio plan, I am certainly in favor of kids approaching subjects willing to examine both (or all ) points of view.

Unfortunately (for them) this is exactly what most evolutionists are frightened to death of.

It betrays a basic insecurity in their position IMHO.

No, it betrays a sense of being consistent in their definition of science.

Creationism is not science. It will never be science. At the least, it's unproveable. At the most, it's complete bullshit.

Why then, do you not support the teaching of the Flying Spaghetti Monster hypothesis of creation? The Hindu creation myths? The Egyptian? The Greek? The Norse?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:16 am
real life wrote:

Then how do you feel about kids examining astrology and alchemy in science class?

In the other thread on improving science education, you seem to want schools to focus on the basics and not spread themselves thin with PE and Music classes. Yet here you want kids to spend time examining *all* points of view.

You seem to think that there *is* another valid scientific theory for kids to examine, but there's not. Evolution is the only *scientific* theory available.

Creation is not a scientific theory, nor is ID. So what is it you're proposing they examine (outside of evolution)?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:35 am
I thought I would post this so that the record of the thread won't contain any unanswered slurs on an internationally renowned poet and musician made by ignorant asserters.

Quote:
Dylan's album at top of US chart

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

' Bob Dylan has topped the US album charts for the first time in 30 years with his latest release, Modern Times.

Dylan, 65, is now the oldest living person to go straight into the chart at number one.

Already hailed by the critics, the album sold 192,000 copies in its first week, according to music tracking service Nielsen Soundscan.

Modern Times is Dylan's first US number one album since Desire in 1976, which topped the chart for five weeks.

It has also gone to number one in Australia, Canada, Denmark, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway and Switzerland, according to Columbia.

Well-received

"We couldn't be more thrilled that fans have responded to it so enthusiastically by putting Bob at number one, which is where he belongs," said Steve Barnett, the chairman of Dylan's Columbia Records label.

The album made its debut at number three in the UK album chart - Kasabian went straight in at number one, while Snow Patrol slipped from top spot to number two.

Modern Times, Dylan's first studio album in almost five years, has been hailed as a "masterwork", "enchanting" and "full of prophecy" by impressed US critics.

Rolling Stone described the release as Dylan's "third straight masterwork".

The publication awarded five stars to the album, saying it was "evenly divided between blues ready-mades, old-timey two-steps and stately marches full of prophecy".

Critics at USA Today and music industry weekly Billboard also heaped praise on Dylan's latest effort. '
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:54 am
U.S. CONGRESS UPDATE

Quote:
Americans United Condemns House Committee Passage Of Bill Cutting Off Attorneys' Fees In Church-State Cases
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 12:32 pm
wande-

It struck me that the expression-

Quote:
from having their day in court,"

makes it sound a bit like having a day at the seaside. As I explained at the time of Dover.

You can't beat being the centre of attention on a high principle for boredom relief or entertainment if you prefer. Not that I'm saying that everybody at Dover had such a motive. It looks good fun though.

And the other side are a bit similar although they do have better songs.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:44 pm
For those that think ID and Creationism will just go away...

http://images.despair.com/products/demotivators/idiocy.jpg
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:09 pm
The first lesson they teach at schools for newspaper editors and TV producers is that it is impossible to underestimate the intelligence of the population. Has been since Caractactus was a lad.

Have you nothing new to offer ros. You'll be explaining how to put salt and vinegar on chips next or how to stir a teaspoonful of sugar into a cup of tea.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 05:12 pm
Although I do realise ros that you have a desperate need to put distance between yourself and "stupid people" who are stupid by your own definitions.

There is the theory of the wisdom of large groups to consider though.

That says that you are "unwise".
0 Replies

real life

Fri 8 Sep, 2006 08:48 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Then how do you feel about kids examining astrology and alchemy in science class?

In the other thread on improving science education, you seem to want schools to focus on the basics and not spread themselves thin with PE and Music classes. Yet here you want kids to spend time examining *all* points of view.

You seem to think that there *is* another valid scientific theory for kids to examine, but there's not. Evolution is the only *scientific* theory available.

Creation is not a scientific theory, nor is ID. So what is it you're proposing they examine (outside of evolution)?

I have no problem with a science teacher drawing a contrast between astrology and astronomy, for instance. 'This is why one is valid, this is why the other is not.'

Why do you have a problem with evolution being questioned?

Both Evolution and Creation have not and cannot be observed (even according to evolutionists it takes many generations for 'evolution' to occur. You yourself have drawn the distinction between 'evolution of a population' and 'change' in an individual, therefore you have dug your own hole on this.) ; and therefore are not scientific in the strict sense of the word. They are theories or ideas of what may have happened in the past and are unobserved and unobservable in the present.
0 Replies