Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:26 pm
wande-

Does that signify that you are ready to concede that there is a possibilty of irreducible complexity and that that possibilty becomes a certainty in the educational world of today which we are discussing?

There are two choices and both have important consequences at the personal and social levels.
0 Replies

farmerman

Mon 10 Apr, 2006 02:41 pm
How spendius arrives at his conclusions is a study in irreducable complexity by itself. I wouldnt be bothered by the content. Its pure corn mash, Of course thats my opinion and Im stickin to it.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 10 Apr, 2006 03:08 pm
fm-

"Corn mash" is when you don't bother with the question and rely on bluster and bombast to carry the vote of the educationally disadvantaged;a group you must consider to be large.There's an irreducible complexity at the bottom of the motive for that too.

Are you a politician?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 08:41 am
"The creation of this imaginary past was God's artwork.All who lived,all men,women, and children of all varying tribes and climates,the eighty-year-old,the forty-five-year-old,the young lovers,and the two-year-old were all created at the same instant that He placed the half-cooked food on the stone-hearth fire.All of it appeared at once,the animals in their habitat just so much as the humans,each creature possessing its separate memory,the plants in command of their necessary instincts,the earth bountiful here and unfulfilled there,some crops even ready to go to harvest.All the fossil remains were carefully set in the rock.God gave us a world able to present all the material clues that Darwin would need fifty-odd centuries later to conceive of evolution.The geological strata had all been put in place.The solar system was in the heavens.Everything had been set moving at rates of orbit to encourage astronomers to declare five thousand and more years later that the age of the earth was approximately five billion years.I like this notion immensely," said Harlot."You can say the universe is a splendidly worked-up system of disinformation calculated to make us believe in evolution and so divert us away from God.Yes,that is exactly what I would do if I were the Lord and could not trust My own creation."

Harlot's Ghost---Norman Mailer.

What about the evolutionists proving that's not true.And if they can't,and they wimped it last time I put my own version,which was better,on the threads at least admitting that they don't "believe" it is true.

It is what happens at the beginning of every movie isn't it?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 08:49 am
UK UPDATE

Quote:
Science class no place for creationism, says Royal Society
(Donald MacLeod, Education Guardian, April 11, 2006)

Britain's most distinguished scientists today denounced the distortion of scientific knowledge to promote religious beliefs in schools.

The Royal Society, the UK's national academy of science, issued a statement saying evolution was "recognised as the best explanation for the development of life on Earth from its beginnings and for the diversity of species" and that it was "rightly taught as an essential part of biology and science courses in schools, colleges and universities across the world".

With supporters of creationism and its offshoot "intelligent design" stepping up their efforts in the US, there are fears that the promotion of faith schools in the UK could lead to anti-evolutionary theories being taught in British classrooms.

Emmanuel Academy in Gateshead, funded by Sir Peter Vardy, an evangelical millionaire and supporter of creationism, has been reported as teaching intelligent design alongside evolution, and the revised GCSE syllabus gives more scope to teachers who want to discuss intelligent design in science classes.

Professor David Read, vice-president of the Royal Society, said it fully supported questioning and debate in science lessons, as long as they were not designed to undermine young people's confidence in the value of scientific evidence.

There appeared to be confusion among young people, parents, teachers and scientists about how the education system allowed the promotion of creationist beliefs in relation to scientific knowledge, Professor Read said.

He added: "Our government is pursuing a flexible education system, but it should also be able to ensure and demonstrate that young people in maintained schools or academies are not taught that the scientific evidence supports creationism and intelligent design in the way that it supports evolution."
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 09:23 am
The following is a transplant or rerun, but pertinent here as well, IMO.

[url=http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1975110#1975110]On a different, though congruent, thread, timber[/url] wrote:
As has been pointed out before, by a stretch both ID-iocy and Science may be termed "beliefs" ... the quantitative - and critical - differentator being the relative body of evidence supporting the conclusions and postulations set forth by either.

By all evidence, we may assign to religion an age at least as old as the burial practices, cave paintings and totem figurines we find to have emerged some 45 millenia or more ago.

Science is much, much younger; whether traced to the Asian continent or the European, its real antecedents and origins are perhaps 5 millenia or so old, evidently less than 8 or 10, however one defines "science", for without writing and numeric notation, there can be no science.

A huge body of evidence - "evidence", now, as distinct from "experience" and "tradition" - has been accumulated. To date, despite a head start of several dozen millenia, religion has yet to add to the body of evidence humankind has accumulated.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:22 pm
A huge body of evidence - "evidence", now, as distinct from "experience" and "tradition" - has been accumulated. To date, despite a head start of several dozen millenia, religion has yet to add to the body of evidence humankind has accumulated.

Oh yes, they have! There are many more millions that believe in the bible god.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:43 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
To date, despite a head start of several dozen millenia, religion has yet to add to the body of evidence humankind has accumulated.

Religious beliefs and practices added science to the body of evidence humankind has accumulated.Science came from priestly classes and castes.
Like all recalcitrant sons it wants to kick Father in the teeth now it feels it has come of age.It is envious.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:44 pm
spendius wrote:
Science came from priestly classes and castes.

Only during the Middle Ages when they were the only ones to have the time to conduct science. Note also that science ended up stifled when religious dogma pervaded through the priestly classes and castes, which is probably why it's better that science is no longer the domain of those classes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 12:49 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:

Oh yes, they have! There are many more millions that believe in the bible god.

What is "believed" and what is KNOWN are very different things, c.i. , and often antithetical.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:39 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
What is "believed" and what is KNOWN are very different things, c.i. , and often antithetical.

Something believed is known to the believer surely?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 01:52 pm
Not at all, spendi - it merely is believed by the believer to be known, entirely another matter. Knowledge is independent both of belief and believer.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 11 Apr, 2006 02:09 pm
timber-

Has fresco not set you right yet on that type of homespun wisdom?

And he isn't a materialist theory of mind afficionado like I am.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 12 Apr, 2006 08:41 am
NEW MEXICO UPDATE

Quote:
Rio Rancho school board amends science policy
(Associated Press, April 11, 2006)

RIO RANCHO, N.M. (AP) - Rio Rancho's school board has amended a policy that opponents contended was a ploy to introduce "intelligent design" into the science curriculum.

The board voted 4-1 Tuesday to remove a sentence that deviated from state standards and replace it with language taken verbatim from the standards.

The standards require schools to teach evolution but acknowledge there will be disagreements.

The theory of intelligent design says life on Earth is too complex to have developed through evolution, implying that a higher power must have had a hand in creation.

Nearly all scientists dismiss it as a scientific theory. Critics say it's nothing more than religion masquerading as science.

Don Schlichte and Marty Scharfglass, two board members who introduced the policy, apologized to science teachers at Rio Rancho High School for failing to consult with them prior to proposing and adopting the policy last summer.

The sentence that deviated from state standards said: "When appropriate and consistent with the New Mexico Science Content Standards, Benchmarks and Performance Standards, discussions about issues that are of interest to both science and individual religious and philosophical beliefs will acknowledge that reasonable people may disagree about the meaning and interpretation of data."

The state standards say: "Students shall understand that reasonable people may disagree about some issues that are of interest to both science and religion (e.g., the origin of life on Earth, the cause of the big bang, the future of the Earth)."
0 Replies

Setanta

Wed 12 Apr, 2006 08:44 am
If i've not recently said as much, i will take this opportunity to thank Wandel for his diligence in keeping us informed of the ongoing "intelligent design" brouhaha . . .
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 12 Apr, 2006 08:52 am
Thanks, Setanta!

I enjoy doing these updates. I hope Dyslexia and BBB have heard the news about New Mexico.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 12 Apr, 2006 09:00 am
That's not news wande.5 school board members in one place and we know from the Dover experience what school board members are like don't we?

Of course I know that school board members who agree with you are brilliant minds and that those who don't are cretins.That's got disused cobwebs on it.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Wed 12 Apr, 2006 10:12 am
spendi, whith whom schoolboard members might agree is immaterial; signally significant is that Dover's ripples are swamping the ID-iots' ark.
0 Replies

spendius

Wed 12 Apr, 2006 11:02 am
Hang on timber-

wande brought the Rio Rancho school board into it.Not me.I was pointing out that they were immaterial myself.

Dover is a small wave lapping against the side of the religious ark.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Wed 12 Apr, 2006 11:47 am
spendius wrote:
Dover is a small wave lapping against the side of the religious ark.

That is the way it should be, spendius.

ID is also a small wave. In my opinion, most religious people ignore ID. People who embrace ID not only misunderstand science but also misunderstand religion.
0 Replies