Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

wandeljw

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:40 pm
RexRed wrote:

Wandel

How could it be that the earth left the exact same records out for every species?

Would not the earth have also recorded the tender moments when a species is changing over to another.

Yet it indiscriminately leaves this record out in every single case across the board...

What is the explanation for that?

How can this part of history not be buried if there was not some catastrophe that wiped out discriminately a vast slice of the earth's history without a single record of it's passing...

RexRed,

On another thread, rosborne gave an eloquent explanation that may answer some of your questions:

quote rosborne
Quote:
What firm evidence do you have linking you to your great great great great grandfather? Do you have his bones, have you ever seen his bones? Probably not, but even though he's gone you do carry his DNA, and so do your distant cousins. And in the same way, we and our cousins the Apes, carry the DNA of an ancient common grandfather.

The bones are gone, returned to dust, but we don't need them. A mechanism for passing information on from generation to generation was predicted by Evolutionary theory even before that mechanism had been identified. And then we found it, right where Evolutionary theory said it should be, buried at the heart of the chemistry of reproduction and growth.

Evolution (biological in particular) is not a tenuous theory which is supported by only a few isolated predictions. It is a view of biological growth and development over time which is supported by countless interconnecting predictions and measurements, and not a single instance of inviable evidence. We will continue to find the fossils of creatures who came before us, and we may even find a common ancestor some day, but we really don't need to see those bones to know where we came from, any more than you need to see your G G G G Great Grandfather's bones to know where you came from.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:42 pm
spendius wrote:
George wrote-

George wrote:
Specifically - evolution does not explain the origin of life, and physics does not explain the origin of the cosmos. Why then should our children be taught that they do -- and in a science class of all places?

Here you have a splendid illustration of placing one's prejudices and projections over what is there. Evolution has nothing to do with the penultimate origin of life, any more than physics has anything to do with the penultimate origin of the cosmos, nor is it taught that they do, except by those who do not know what they are talking about. Both provide testable, logical, evidence-borne explanations of the processes and mechanics of what is, but neither makes any assertion or conjecture pertaining to what might have been the penultimate origin of what is. Science neither conflicts with nor intrudes upon religion; religion dishonestly fabricates a dispute where neither dispute nor basis for dispute exists. It is religionists who have the problem with truth.
0 Replies

Thomas

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:45 pm
spendius wrote:
There were plenty of people who knew the earth wasn't flat in ancient times.

I know. But my point wasn't about flat-Earthers but about the logic of georgeob1's argument, which presumes there is an origin of the universe to explain. Even if the flat-Earther in my example is entirely ficticious, my argument stands.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 12:48 pm
wande, Rosbournes essay is not quite up to date; the current issue of National Geographics describes the migration of homo sapiens from Africa; we are all "brothers" under the skin.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:05 pm
I'm into the 3rd volume of the Memoirs of Sir Anthony Eden.It is a great read.

"Communism has been most successful where it has been able,as in China,to harness national forces,and least successful where it has come into direct conflict with an ancient faith and freedom firmly held,as in Hungary and Tibet."

Think on that essdeeoids.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:09 pm
spendi still talks with a drunken tongue, and he expects us to undertand what he's saying. Lay off that hootch long enough to write with some coherence.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:12 pm
Quote:
Dover area accepts donations to aid debt
(MICHELLE STARR, York Daily Record, March 23, 2006)

It might not be a bake sale, like previously suggested, but one woman is trying to help Dover Area School District raise money to cover a $1 million legal bill from last fall's intelligent design trial.

Louise Coffman, an 81-year-old Windsor Township resident with no personal connection to Dover, considered an idea that was reminiscent of Mayor John Brenner's attempt to help York City's debt: If everyone gave a little bit, the total could be a lot.

The bill was assessed after 11 parents successfully sued the district over its policy on intelligent design in science class. During the trial, Alan Bonsell, who was a board member at that time, suggested to pay the legal bill with fundraisers if the district lost.

She sent an e-mail to about 20 people, made an announcement at her church and discussed her idea of each person giving $1 to the district. Because the district has to pay a large legal bill, Coffman is concerned that the kids will suffer, she said.

"Children at the school will be deprived of a lot of things that other children will have in York County. As a Christian, it occurred to me that some of the students might feel bitter toward Christians that this had to happen."

The effort, which she has called the "Believer's Fund" because of Coffman's belief in God, has generated some support.

She requested that the donations be made independently, which means she doesn't know how much has been sent in, but she knew of at least one $25 check.

Supt. Richard Nilsen said the district has received random donations and that the administration is accepting them. Though he didn't have a total for the donations, he considered the amount small.

Coffman is a local book author and taught elementary school for 30 years in Spring Grove and Central York school districts. She said she isn't political and doesn't have an ax to grind. She does believe in teaching students about intelligent design or creationism in the public schools.

Former board member David Napierskie and current board President Bernadette Reinking said they hadn't heard of anyone making donations.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:35 pm
c.i. wrote-

Quote:
spendi still talks with a drunken tongue and he expects us to understand what he's saying. Lay off that hooch long enough to write with some coherence.

I was quoting Sir Anthony mate.

Wassa matta.Not touched a raw nerve have I?
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:36 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
doesn't have an ax to grind.

They all say that wande.Is her book not selling?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 02:52 pm
Well, tell Sir Anthony to lay off the hooch!

That's the reason why the two of you unnerstands each other.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:29 pm
Yeah-that would have been a grand idea to conjure with.
0 Replies

patiodog

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 03:35 pm
Quote:
Then we agree. I didn't say "never" either. My point is that from a scientific perspective alone the questions are still open. Specifically - evolution does not explain the origin of life, and physics does not explain the origin of the cosmos. Why then should our children be taught that they do -- and in a science class of all places?

Yes, these questions are absolutely open. But ID -- and especially ID of the supernatural variety -- merely attempts to close the question without providing insight or testable hypothesis. Opponents of ID simply walk up to the fuzzy edge of science (and sciences edges always are fuzzy), points into the inky void, and says, "There be dragons." If there be dragons, then so be it. But maybe there's a New World over there, and it will only be found by those who bother to look for it.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 04:17 pm
Wow man!! That's a bit of firkin of freakies.

You see essdeeoids.Nothing superstitious about that.That's the Faustian.We just need to create the music and dancing.The right kit.The words.The tone poems so to speak and we'll be right off the top of the old cathedral spire like jumpi' Jack Flash sat on a Titan B850 A (With in car entertainment).

I know who won't be coming for the ride.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 04:27 pm
Gee- Footballer's Wives.Our Joannie.

Well you know I told you that she made a late entrance 4 hrs into the show (Last shot 3rd week.) and I said she looked ghastly.

Well 4th week,this week,she's in,Startling for an English Rose at 70.Stunning.I made a mistake.She's the girl friend of a footballer they've just signed.Handsome lad.About 23.And she's floating about treating the other ladies,and there are some crackers,as if they are little girls who still think it's for scratching.

And the lad looks pretty content with things.

(It's dishgushtin is wot I say Doris.)

Prime Time.
0 Replies

patiodog

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 05:04 pm
WTF are you on about?

(replace "opponents," above, with "proponents," if you please.)
0 Replies

georgeob1

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 05:20 pm
Thomas wrote:
It is true that no scientist has reproduced the abiogenesis of a cell. This is to be expected, as evolution occurs over millions of years, and modern science has only been around for a few hundreds. It is not true, however that scientists have not found evolutionary pathways that lead from anorganic chemical compounds to cells. On the contrary, the problem is that they have found too many such pathways and can't figure out which one nature has actually taken.

Thanks for the reference. However the existence of chemical pathways for the formation of proteins and cells is pretty well established by the fact of the existence of the cells themselves. The existence of multiple pathways may even complicate the problem. At this chemical level what is it that organizes the trajectory of reactions towards the coherent complexity of a cell's multiple functions? What substitutes at the chemical level for Darwinian selection with self-replicating organisms? How was the first DNA molecule assembled?

Thomas wrote:

When you say "more likely", do you mean more likely even after accounting for ID's "who created the creator" problem? It's easy to explain a mystery if you wrap the explanation's hard parts into an even larger mystery.
That is a bit disingenuous. The idea of a creator is no explanation at all. It transcends human intelligence --- an answer, perhaps, but not an explanation.

Thomas wrote:
georgeob1 wrote:
An analogous argument can be put forward with respect to the origin of the cosmos and our existence itself. We have a pretty good model of the laws of physics that appear to apply throughout the visible universe. Despite that we have virtually nothing with which to explain its origin.

If Einstein was right about space-time being curved, "what happened before the Big Bang?" is just the four-dimensional equivalent of "what lies north of the North Pole?" While the question sounds like a deep mystery, and while it feels threatening to think it may be just shallow nonsense, this seems to be exactly what it is.

I think you beg the question here. Curved or not, space-time-energy exists and its origin is unexplained.
0 Replies

RexRed

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 05:33 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
Rex talks like a true IDiot.

And you like your pure EvIllusion... Smile
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 05:55 pm
Mine is not the illusion, but your's is. That's why IDiot fits so well.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:12 pm
We are soon back into the girl's school bathroom with this "yes it is",no it isnt,Oh yes it is ohnoit isnyt pulls out tongue kinds pointlesslessnessyand essdeeoidies fits as wellsothere u 'orriblelitleslagwhoodgowiththesludgegulper4tuppence.
0 Replies

spendius

Thu 23 Mar, 2006 06:19 pm
Right.

Is ID science?That's the question.

Is science science?You can't ask whether ID is science unless you have a scientific definition of science otherwise it wouldn't be scientific.
0 Replies