Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

wandeljw

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 09:53 am
Steve,

I just saw the same item on BBC's website.

This is breaking news! Will parents in England let the government get away with this?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:23 am
wande wrote-

Quote:
Will parents in England let the government get away with this?

The majority of parents in my experience are just glad to have the little blighters locked safely into schools as much as possible.They don't much care what they are being taught.

Obviously the few who do care provide easy and cheap material for the media to cover and a distorted picture arises.Bothering about this stuff is a minority sport engaged in for various reasons too sordid to explain.

Parents here know that most of their offspring will become shop workers,machinists,garbage collectors and such like and will be concerned with pop music,fashion and having a good time leading to babies,home improvements,football,soldiering,nursing etc rather than when or how the earth happened.

One might deplore this situation but there it is.We have a tendency here to elect a government and to then let them get on with things as they see fit.

Political activists are another matter but there's not so many of them and few people take much notice of them.Most people have only ever heard of the party leaders and those senior politicians who get exposed in pantsdown situations.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 10:35 am
The most famous pantsdowner of the last 100 years,John Profumo,died today aged 91 and it was top of the news.It provided an opportunity for the broadcasters to dig out of the archives film of Miss Keeler getting into a limo stylishly and reminding us of how beautiful women used to be before this feminist malarkey got going and of how understandable it was that Mr Profumo disgraced himself over her.

A sad day.But hey-91 ain't so bad is it?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:16 am
Isn't MP Smith just as beautiful as Miss Keeler?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 11:35 am
You must be kidding wande.

No wonder I'm an IDer.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:01 pm
I always rather fancied Mandy over Christine. Whichever, though - Profumo knew how to have fun, and was tasteful in his choices of with whom to have it.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:08 pm
wandeljw wrote:
You mean former mp Chris Smith, first openly gay cabinet member?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:45 pm
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

That's exactly who I meant. There is supposedly a film of spendi getting out of Smith's limousine!
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 01:56 pm
Actually timber I have seen Mandy au naturelle.It was ginger.She toured cashing in on her fame.Auberon Waugh,of blessed memory, tracked her down in Bierut where she claimed she was nursing sick children but he didn't believe her.
There is a photograph of Miss Keeler,which I have seen,and even a jaundiced judge such as myself could not have imagined it being the result of a monkey learning a few cute tricks no matter how much evolving had happened.

But I don't see how anything untoward took place,leaving aside the Russian attache and the statement in the Commons,from the point of view of a scientific evolutionist steeped as he would be in sexual selection.From such a point of view it might seem perverse had nothing happened.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:13 pm
Quote:
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
wandeljw wrote:

That's exactly who I meant. There is supposedly a film of spendi getting out of Smith's limousine!

That's impossible.In order to get out of that limo I would have had to get in it first and there's as much chance of that as there was of Darwin persuading his dear Emma that she was descended from a monkey.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:17 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
I always rather fancied Mandy over Christine. Whichever, though - Profumo knew how to have fun, and was tasteful in his choices of with whom to have it.

The Cliveden set had a somewhat different definition of "fun" to that of a Dover biology teacher.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:28 pm
Oh, I dunno, spendi - trashjy pulp novels and TV soaps are predicated on suburban randiness - where there's smoke ....
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 02:45 pm
CREATIONISM IN ENGLAND (continued)

Quote:
Can You Adam and Eve It?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:12 pm
wndel, Looks like the fall of the British economy.
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:23 pm
Dream on Sunshine!
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:27 pm
timber wrote-

Quote:
Oh, I dunno, spendi - trashjy pulp novels and TV soaps are predicated on suburban randiness - where there's smoke ....

I was alluding to refined types of randiness timber not just the animal urges which we have presumably inherited from monkeys and which are unheard of in the entertainments you mention.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:52 pm
It may not follow truly, but it's MHO that the downfall of math and science education compared to the top world standards will impact their economy in future generations.

"Biological evolution you say?" Well, god designed it all. End of inquiry.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 03:59 pm
I agree with c.i. This could turn into a big problem in England. (I was hoping Steve or spendius could keep us updated.)
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:21 pm
c.i.wrote-

Quote:
It may not follow truly, but it's MHO that the downfall of math and science education compared to the top world standards will impact their economy in future generations.

The possibility exists,and was predicted by Spengler almost 100 years ago,that science exhausts itself.That the effort required to go much further is more than the public are willing to pay for the smaller and smaller gain to their lifestyles.
I don't think Spengler took into account the creation of psychological needs but they can be changed anyway which is what Green politics and organic farming is all about.That we are batting into an irreducible complexity against an ever increasing hardness of the material and at some point we will say "Oh-phuke this for a game of bananas,my tin opener is good enough as it is."

I decided that years ago.

But even having said that I don't think your fears are well grounded and these 13 yr old hackers are a case in point.The talented and the interested will always be coming through and where science is now it doesn't matter what your schooling was like as long as you are talented and interested.It would just be a different route.Nobody but the talented and the interested is going to shift science further.Going to an anti-ID school isn't going to make any difference.On the evidence of history the contrary looks more likely.

And other countries have problems too.Being a party member or a distant relative of the king isn't much use either at the levels science is at.So I don't know what "world standards" are or are going to be.Anyway-if they get uppity we'll shove a nuke up their rectum.--Won't we?
0 Replies

spendius

Fri 10 Mar, 2006 04:31 pm
Quote:
timber wrote-

Quote:

I was alluding to refined types of randiness timber not just the animal urges which we have presumably inherited from monkeys and which are unheard of in the entertainments you mention.

I'm sorry timber.My sentence was ambiguous.

I meant that the RTOR are unheard of in EYM not the AUIFM.I failed to punctuate.A comma after timber and one before which.Forget the and.
0 Replies