Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Mon 27 Feb, 2006 01:39 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
Science continues to advance, and in those places where access to education is efficient, kids learn science just as effectively as they ever did before, maybe even better.

I would go with the "better".Much better.Providing the "efficiency" is a given and there is effectiveness.And we know the goal.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 27 Feb, 2006 01:41 pm
spendius wrote:
Very few of the class are going to be scientists.Possibly,in most classes,none.

So what? You still have to teach it to catch the few who will go into the sciences. Or are you suggesting some completely different philosophy for education?

spendius wrote:
You grow knowledge upwards like the kids are growing. Evolution starts at the top and works backwards.

What do you mean by that?
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 27 Feb, 2006 01:53 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
Or are you suggesting some completely different philosophy for education?

Yeah.Value teachers more than you do.It takes care of the problem to the extent of the valuation.

All the arguments on here about education are mere blather until you put your money where your mouth is.Pay peanuts-you get monkeys.(Old saying).

Quote:
spendius wrote:
You grow knowledge upwards like the kids are growing. Evolution starts at the top and works backwards.

What do you mean by that?

I meant that evolutionary theory starts with it's pretty obvious conclusion and a class can only work backwards.With the toaster you can expand as far as time permits assuming you are a dedicated teacher.

Compare a prize orchid at a show and an explanation of how it was grown to the act of growing it, from an educational point of view.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Mon 27 Feb, 2006 03:59 pm
spendius wrote:
All the arguments on here about education are mere blather until you put your money where your mouth is.Pay peanuts-you get monkeys.(Old saying).

So your whole point out of all that is that we should pay teachers more. Why didn't you just say that in the beginning. I think most people would agree that teachers are underpaid.

spendius wrote:
I meant that evolutionary theory starts with it's pretty obvious conclusion and a class can only work backwards.With the toaster you can expand as far as time permits assuming you are a dedicated teacher.

And your toaster lesson starts with a pretty obvious piece of toast and works it's way backwards, toward a lesson in economics, which could have been stated at the beginning also.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 27 Feb, 2006 04:32 pm
ros wrote-

Quote:
So your whole point out of all that is that we should pay teachers more. Why didn't you just say that in the beginning. I think most people would agree that teachers are underpaid.

Because it's too easy to say.You need to work your way up to proving it's in the bloody national interest.You don't think well paid teachers would put up with all this shite from parents and meddling busybodies do you?It's like putting quality oil in your car.Cheapskate education means crankshaft fuched.

Quote:
And your toaster lesson starts with a pretty obvious piece of toast and works it's way backwards, toward a lesson in economics, which could have been stated at the beginning also.

The obvious point is that it's not an obvious piece of toast.Something has to be done to the slice of bread besides you pressing the lever.What that something is and how it works (regarding interest rates say) is upward education with practical uses to the kids.The fossil has long had done to it how it got like that and the detail of that is too difficult to teach millions and it is of little use except to spout as a "scientist" and if everybody gets the message that won't provide an invidious comparison.

Pub quick.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Mon 27 Feb, 2006 08:59 pm
UTAH UPDATE (Breaking News)

Quote:
Breaking: House spikes evolution disclaimer bill
(By Matt Canham, Salt Lake Tribune, February 27, 2006)

The evolution bill is no more.
The Utah House of Representatives voted 46-28 to kill SB96, which cast doubt on the teaching of evolution.
"There are a number of influential legislators who believe you evolved from an ape. I didn't," said Sen. Chris Buttars, R-West Jordan, who sponsored the bill.
He said it was "doubtful" that he would try a similar bill in the future.
The bill would have required a teacher to say the state does not endorse evolution and that the controversial theory is not a proven fact before teaching Charles Darwin's ideas.
SB96's deep religious roots fostered outspoken support among some, such as Rep. LaVar Christensen, and just as fervent opposition from others, like Rep. Stephen Urquhart.
Urquhart, a St. George Republican, first amended the bill, stripping any reference to 'origins of species." The gutted bill simply read: "The State Board of Education shall establish curriculum requirements relating to scientific instruction."
Urquhart opposed Buttars' bill because he doesn't feel that science conflicts with religion and said it was misleading to single out one theory as unproven.
The House voted down the gutted SB96 to stop the Senate from having the ability to revive the issue.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 06:29 am
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2058771,00.html
0 Replies

rosborne979

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:18 am
spendius wrote:

"Extremist takes over town". Film at eleven.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:44 am
UTAH UPDATE (continued)

Quote:
Buttars' evolution bill dies in House
(TYLER PETERSON, Utah Daily Herald, February 28, 2006)

The House voted Monday to gut and then kill Sen. D. Chris Buttars's evolution bill as he watched from the sidelines, putting an end to its storied journey.

That means for now, teachers won't have to stress that a scientific theory, hypothesis or inference regarding the origins of the species is not an empirically proven fact.

After witnessing first-hand the passage of an intent-blasting amendment and the subsequent 28-46 vote on the bill, Buttars didn't veil his feelings.
"There was a number of influenced legislators who believe you evolved from an ape. I didn't," the West Jordan Republican said. "And it's being taught in school and that's wrong."

The amendment, put forth by Rep. Stephen Urquhart, R-St. George, deleted every line except for one saying the state Board of Education should make curriculum requirements relating to the instruction of science -- period. But even Urquhart voted against the amended bill, suggesting it was merely an attempt to kill the original measure.

Rep. James Ferrin, R-Orem, who teamed with Buttars on the bill, said nobody had been able to tell him that science could empirically prove whether men evolved from a common ancestor with apes. Yet he spoke of some who had said it was a fact.

"There is a zeal -- dare I say a religious zeal -- on the part of some to teach as fact that what cannot be proven as fact," Ferrin said.

But some representatives said creating a disclaimer targeting the theory of evolution among thousands of other scientific theories didn't make sense.

It could even create the perception that the state, "in a reverse way," endorsed all other scientific theories, said Rep. Scott Wyatt, R-Logan.

Buttars called the argument "foolish, but it probably had some weight."

The state Office of Education had reservations about the bill, and Brett Moulding, state director of curriculum and instruction, said his office was glad to see the bill die. "Our concern with the legislation was that it took away authority from the board to establish rules for curriculum, and additionally the bill isolated one theory of evolution for special treatment, which has been found particularly by the courts to not be constitutional."

He added, "It was entering things that were not science into the science curriculum."

Others, like Urquhart, said learning the theory of evolution has not challenged their faith, though faith was "obviously the reason why we single out this one theory."

"There's still so much to be learned regarding all sorts of things in science," Urquhart said.

Moulding said he hoped that in the future, legislators would spend their time on other education needs.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:44 am
spendius wrote:

Very few of the class are going to be scientists.Possibly,in most classes,none.

Why teach math? Very few of the kids are going to be mathematicians?
Why teach great literature? Very few of the kids are going to be great authors?
Why teach history? Very few of the kids are going to be historians?
Why teach philosophy? Very few of the kids are going to be philosophers?
Why teach foreign languages? None of the kids are going to become foreigners?

For that matter, why ever teach kids religion? None of them are ever going to be Gods.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:10 am
Quote:
That means for now, teachers won't have to stress that a scientific theory, hypothesis or inference regarding the origins of the species is not an empirically proven fact.

Are they allowed to hint.Or are Americans so irony challenged that they are unaware that one can easily say a thing and put over the opposite with voice tone and gestures.

I am more and more convinced that this has nothing to do with children,education or even evolution.

Here's a bit from Isis Unveiled where Madame Blavatsky quotes TH Huxley FRS and a Darwin supporter.

"Physical man,as a product of evolution,may be left in the hands of the man of exact science.None but he can throw light upon the physical (physical in italics)origin of the race.But,we must positively deny the materialist the same privilege as to the question of man's psychical and spiritual evolution,for he and his highest faculties cannot (cannot in italics) be proved on any conclusive evidence to be 'as much products of evolution as the humblest plant or lowest worm' "

It is a well know fact that materialistic,mechanistic mental states are statistically correlated with urban lifestyles and the mass media is an entirely urban phenomena.Thus the explanation of why all wande's quotes are anti ID in tone.ID,used loosely, being basically a major factor in rural,agricultural areas where feet are on the soil and birth,growth and death cycles are witnessed first hand rather than in sanitised glossy magazine articles and TV documentaries.

Advertising spiels,urban to the marrow, are more readily swallowed by insecure and frightened materialists than they are by spiritual intuitions.

The vested interest of the city has it's grubby little monkey paws all over anti ID propaganda and for it to travel under a scientific disguise must make every true scientist grind his teeth.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 11:39 am
spendius wrote:
all wande's quotes are anti ID in tone.

spendius,

My last quote was a news article about an anti-evolution bill that was defeated in state legislature. The senator who sponsored the bill was quoted and given equal space in defending his bill. The senator was quoted in the article:

Quote:
"There was a number of influenced legislators who believe you evolved from an ape. I didn't, and it's being taught in school and that's wrong."

The senator's view seems to be sympathetic with your own view.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:00 pm
parados wrote somewhat disingenuously-

Quote:
Why teach math? Very few of the kids are going to be mathematicians?
Why teach great literature? Very few of the kids are going to be great authors?
Why teach history? Very few of the kids are going to be historians?
Why teach philosophy? Very few of the kids are going to be philosophers?
Why teach foreign languages? None of the kids are going to become foreigners?

For that matter, why ever teach kids religion? None of them are ever going to be Gods.

To keep them off the streets.
To get them out of their parents way.
To force them to learn social skills in mixing.
To provide business opportunities.(see education budget for guidance)
To teach them the basics of reading,writing and numeracy so they can decipher road signs and instruction manuals,fill in application forms and greeting cards and manage their money.
To give them a grounding in submissiveness in power relations.
To prepare them for citizenship and work.
To prepare then to begin a study in adult life of mathematics,literature,history,philosophy,languages and religion should they wish to or any other subject they might fancy.

Do you seriously think they are taught those things in schools.These threads are quite ample proof that nothing so fanciful as that has taken place.

One thing they don't try to teach them is computer hacking and yet some of them are quite good at that despite the absence of the subject in the school programme.

I would like to know how they manage to learn that making an assertion is proof of its validity.That's one area,seemingly,which your schools deserve congratulations for.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:07 pm
wande wrote-

Quote:
Quote:
"There was a number of influenced legislators who believe you evolved from an ape. I didn't, and it's being taught in school and that's wrong."

The senator's view seems to be sympathetic with your own view.

Yes,I know.But the article discredits the position by him having been voted down.

Do you descend from a monkey wande?And if so were your dear parents closer to monkeys than you are?Which does seem logical on the evolution argument.How about Homer?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:11 pm
Also wande the senator is quoted in such a way as to suggest he is still doing primary English.

Is he in the same class as Dan Quayle?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 12:38 pm
to me he sounds like he is in a class with you, spendi Smile
0 Replies

parados

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 02:26 pm
spendius wrote:

It is a well know fact that materialistic,mechanistic mental states are statistically correlated with urban lifestyles and the mass media is an entirely urban phenomena.Thus the explanation of why all wande's quotes are anti ID in tone.ID,used loosely, being basically a major factor in rural,agricultural areas where feet are on the soil and birth,growth and death cycles are witnessed first hand rather than in sanitised glossy magazine articles and TV documentaries.
A well known fact? You haven't spent much time in a rural setting have you Spendi. I don't know of any farmer that doesn't understand how genetics works. It is a major requirement in any farming or cattle operation and has been for decades. Artificial insemination is used in the dairy and beef industry. You breed for specific qualities. Every major crop is genetically manipulated or formulated to maximize yield. Farmers pick from many types based on their local conditions.

Quote:
Advertising spiels,urban to the marrow, are more readily swallowed by insecure and frightened materialists than they are by spiritual intuitions.
Advertising is in the eye of the beholder. Trying to sell religion as the answer is advertising. Nothing more insecure and frightened than those that cling to religion out of fear of hell.
Quote:

The vested interest of the city has it's grubby little monkey paws all over anti ID propaganda and for it to travel under a scientific disguise must make every true scientist grind his teeth.
I wonder which successful farmer uses prayer to increase his yield or better his herd. I don't know of any. Any empirical evidence of one that has done so successfully?
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 02:35 pm
wande-

I sincerely hope,if only for the sake of the respect traditionally devolving upon a threadmaster,that you were practicing there your elementary irony.
0 Replies

spendius

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 03:11 pm
parados-

I presume then that you are not aware of a difference between rural and urban settings in the matter of religious belief in the Western culture.

I'm well aware of the use of science in agriculture.I am also well aware that farmers are a small proportion of agricultural communities but even so a fair number of farmers will be religiously inclined.

Your argument suggests that you think a lady using a motor car knows how it works.There is a wide difference between understanding a process and following instructions on the packet.

The fear of hell is a long gone idea.That is not the reason for holding religious beliefs.I was referring to the urban fear of aging and alienation which is at the root of beauty products and ego prop advertising.

Quote:
I wonder which successful farmer uses prayer to increase his yield or better his herd. I don't know of any. Any empirical evidence of one that has done so successfully?

That is a typical example of deliberate (I hope)misunderstanding of the issues here.The fertility religions of ancient times were accompanied by the best technological efforts to raise good crops.

And "God bless America" is a prayer said not with the intention of relying on God to the exclusion of human effort but to strengthen that human effort.

PS.I am country born and bred.The only adults I knew when young were farmers and those around them.
0 Replies

parados

Tue 28 Feb, 2006 03:23 pm
spendius wrote:
parados-

I presume then that you are not aware of a difference between rural and urban settings in the matter of religious belief in the Western culture.

I'm well aware of the use of science in agriculture.I am also well aware that farmers are a small proportion of agricultural communities but even so a fair number of farmers will be religiously inclined.

Your argument suggests that you think a lady using a motor car knows how it works.There is a wide difference between understanding a process and following instructions on the packet.
Your argument suggests that a woman that uses a motor car will do so while denying that gasoline engines work and actively working to outlaw any attempt to teach automotive technology in schools.

Quote:
Quote:

That is a typical example of deliberate (I hope)misunderstanding of the issues here.The fertility religions of ancient times were accompanied by the best technological efforts to raise good crops.
And those fertility religions never achieved the kind of yields that Monsanto has. There is a reason why those religions have gone by the wayside.
0 Replies