Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

spendius

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 09:21 am
ros-

I was giving you a brief swipe at a fast lesson in economics.And subjective legal yardsticks.

It was your idea man!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:13 pm
spendius wrote:
ros-

I was giving you a brief swipe at a fast lesson in economics.And subjective legal yardsticks.

Oh, ok. It just seemed like a fast lesson in your personal delusions and paranoia. My mistake Smile
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 12:23 pm
What are the symptoms of this 'ere paranoia thing.I'm always hearing about it from folk who seem a bit obsessed with it.I could check myself out if I knew that.

Are delusions a sign of getting better or getting worse?Maybe they are caused by my reading things until I understand them and failing to underestimate ny sources.

Stay on the sidelines if you want ros.It's no skin off my nose.

Are they anything to do with my not having a life like Mr Apisa says I should have.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 02:10 pm
spendius wrote:
What are the symptoms of this 'ere paranoia thing.I'm always hearing about it from folk who seem a bit obsessed with it.I could check myself out if I knew that.

The ones who have it are the last to know Smile But don't let that make you paranoid or anything.
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 03:03 pm
ros-

Do you mean that the people who go to psychologists and psychiatrists and counsellors and take drugs for mental problems like depression and insomnia and have psychosomatic ailments and who join strange culty type organisations and all that type of thing are all perfectly normal and sane and I'm a complete deluded paranoic who hasn't been sorted out yet because I'm not aware of any need in those respects?

I suppose that's what you must mean really.Do you think I ought to seek expert advice.I don't like the idea of being the last to know I'm nuts because I fear people might start avoiding me in that case without my knowing the reason and thus being unable to do anything about it?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 04:29 pm
Quote:
Broward selects biology text with watered-down passages on evolution
(By Chris Kahn, South Florida Sun-Sentinel, February 24, 2006)

High school biology students in Broward County will use a textbook next year that watered-down passages about Charles Darwin and evolution theory.

Science teachers picked Florida Holt Biology this month in a countywide vote, favoring it over another book that discussed the controversial idea of intelligent design.

The Holt textbook stays away from intelligent design, the idea that a god or other guiding force caused the development of life on Earth. Mainstream scientists have discredited the theory as a repackaged form of old-school creationism.

But publisher Holt, Rinehart and Winston did edit several sections at the request of the Discovery Institute, a Seattle think tank that has peddled intelligent design around the country for years.

The changes were "kind of a merging of philosophies to get something that everyone was satisfied with," said Broward science curriculum supervisor J.P. Keener.

"What came out in the book was scientifically correct," Keener said. "That's the bottom line."

A review by the South Florida Sun-Sentinel found that on one edited page, Holt agreed to give Darwin less credit for shaping modern biology. In another section it inserted descriptions that conservative Christians believe challenge evolution theory.

Previous editions of the textbook said Darwin's theory "is the essence of biology."

In the Broward edition, students will read instead that Darwin's theory "provides a consistent explanation for life's diversity."

The county plans to spend $1.2 million for 20,000 copies of the book. It will be required reading in Biology I classes until 2013.

"We're very pleased," said Rick Blake, spokesman in Chicago for Holt, Rinehart and Winston. "Science is a very strong area for Holt."
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 06:05 pm
wande quoted-

Quote:
The changes were "kind of a merging of philosophies to get something that everyone was satisfied with," said Broward science curriculum supervisor J.P. Keener.

"What came out in the book was scientifically correct," Keener said. "That's the bottom line."

Not everybody has lost it then?
0 Replies

spendius

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 06:07 pm
wande also quoted-

Quote:
The county plans to spend $1.2 million for 20,000 copies of the book. It will be required reading in Biology I classes until 2013.

Which is not quite the same as saying it will be "read".
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sat 25 Feb, 2006 10:20 pm
wandeljw wrote:
Quote:
The county plans to spend $1.2 million for 20,000 copies of the book.

That's $60 per book. And I assume someone negotiated a quantity discount with an order of 20,000. Right?

Those must be REALLY nice books. Confused
0 Replies

raprap

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 12:23 am
School book bindings are expensive--they have to take an amazing amount of abuse even if they are never read.

Rap
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 06:47 am
Broward County US represents 1.6% of US population.If the above is a typical situation then Biology 1 classes require,nationwide,$200 million of book purchases.

That's a lot of moolah.Books,like newspapers,are wood pulp with ink stains plus human business action often,though possibly not always,clothed in tailored idealisms of one sort or another.

I'm inclined to think that some of the anti-ID posts on this thread have been a trifle naive.The idea that the business mind cares two hoots for anything other than a fast,easy profit is laughable.
And "Have Gavel-Will Travel" is pretty bloody cynical to put it at its prettiest.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:15 am
Quote:
Scientific study requires sound methodology
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:21 am
Add to quantity of water and spray on pitch for quick grass growth.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:33 am
spendius wrote:
I'm inclined to think that some of the anti-ID posts on this thread have been a trifle naive.The idea that the business mind cares two hoots for anything other than a fast,easy profit is laughable.

I don't see how you are connecting these two ideas. How does anti-ID have anything to do with business profits?
0 Replies

spendius

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:39 am
ros-

How old are you young man?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:45 pm
Quote:
Indiana teachers focusing more on evolution
(By Anne Kibbler, The Herald-Times, February 26, 2006)

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Ten years ago, high school biology teachers in Indiana spent little time teaching students about evolution.

Despite controversy over the place of evolution instruction in the classroom, there's been a shift in the Hoosier state: A new study indicates teachers are devoting more, not less, time to incorporating the concept of evolution into their lessons.

At the same time, the study says, Indiana universities' schools of education could improve their preparation of science teachers on the subject of evolution.

The study, by Indiana University doctoral student Lisa Donnelly, found that instead of tacking evolution on at the end of a course or discussing it in passing, teachers are making Darwin's theory a central organizing principle in their classes.

"Indiana really takes evolution teaching seriously compared with other states," said Donnelly, a former biology teacher at Brown County High School.

Donnelly said that even though Indiana's biology standards support the teaching of evolution, teachers must make sure they don't teach it as dogma. At the same time, she said, they must be true to what they know as science.

One of the areas in which teachers could be better trained is in explaining to students the most basic terminology: What is science? What is a theory?

Dan Henry, who replaced Donnelly at Brown County High, spends time at the beginning of each school year going over fundamental concepts. Once students understand that science must be testable and that theories are proven, not just guesswork, they are more open to accepting the science of evolution, he said.

"I personally use it as an overarching concept of all the biology I teach," Henry said. "I start by presenting evidence for evolution and doing so in a way that is nonconfrontational, showing different viewpoints around the world and showing that people are coming from different religious and ethnic backgrounds. Then I go into evolution and show how it ties together all of the different sciences."

Henry said some students start out being skeptical, but most eventually accept what evolution means. He has only rarely -- perhaps once or twice a year -- fielded complaints from parents about what he is teaching their children.

Such complaints usually are made by people of strong religious convictions, Henry said. He explains to the parents that religion and science are kept separate in the classroom.

At the same time, Henry treads lightly so he doesn't offend students with deep religious beliefs.

"You don't want kids going home saying, 'I've changed my belief system at school, Mom and Dad,' " he said. "But it helps to show them they can come from a lot of different backgrounds and still buy into the idea of science."

Jean Schick, a science teacher at Bloomington High School North and science coordinator for the Monroe County Community School Corp., said showing students how evolution is part of everyday life helps them grasp the scientific concepts.

If students understand that using anti-bacterial soap or taking antibiotics too often can lead to the evolution of resistant bacteria, then they can understand evolution in general, she said. Likewise, if they study climate change or natural disasters, they can see how evolution works on a larger scale.

"When we talk about drought and pollution and weather and competition for resources, those are mechanisms for evolution," Schick said.

She understands that students might have different explanations for life developing on the planet, but the explanations aren't scientific and therefore don't belong in a science class.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:18 pm
spendius wrote:
ros-

How old are you young man?

Why does that matter?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:18 pm
0 Replies

rosborne979

Sun 26 Feb, 2006 08:38 pm
timberlandko wrote:

It's important to remember throughout articles like this that the variation required to fuel these evolutionary jumps was already available within the population. What's really happening is that selection is altering the proportion of traits within a population.

This should be obvious since it's the very definition of evolution, but many times I think that articles like this are written in such a way that people misunderstand the driving force behind these rapid changes; selection.

Too often people think that mutation rates have also increased, or that new mutations are required to generate these changes in allele frequency within a population, but that isn't the case. All the variation for these things already exist within the population.
0 Replies

spendius

Mon 27 Feb, 2006 06:11 am
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspaper/0,,176-2058688,00.html

The attraction of evolution for teachers is that it is dead easy and provides a suitable vehicle for people of average intelligence to pose as having a scientific mindset.Frogs having longer legs is a very simple concept to grasp and with the cause of the longer legs being something of a mystery it may be speculated upon to the heart's content.

Quote:
"Still," said Lucas, "It's kind of exciting."

Social evolution will drive the most intelligent section of the population into other occupations due to the salary levels
0 Replies