Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

hingehead

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 02:12 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I think Leadfeet is only adept at "flash quote mining"

Pretty much his M.O. - but what choice does he have when pushing a theory with no evidence and incapable of being tested? Poor bugger.
farmerman

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 04:03 am
@hingehead,
he does not feel constrained by theory
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 07:13 am
@farmerman,
I have yet to hear anyone dispute that Tyson said what I quoted.
Dance around that all you want.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 08:25 am
@Leadfoot,
BTW farmer, I'm not trying to convince you that Tyson is a fellow ID believer if that's what you're thinking.
The dude is just reading scripts for the most part.
parados

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:22 am
@Leadfoot,
This is what you said
Leadfoot wrote:

What he said was: "I'm saying, the day we learn that it is true, (ie, when the aliens show up) I will be the only one in the room saying, I'm not surprised." IOW, he is implying that he has already seen enough evidence that life didn't happen all by itself.

If you substitute Intelligent Designer for aliens, that is close to my position. I differ in that I don't think we were made just for entertainment purposes as was his conjecture.

I highlighted what Tyson said in red.
I highlighted what you said it means in green.
Tyson said what he said, no one has disputed that. He did NOT say what you said is implied in hist statement. In context no one with a working knowledge of English could take it to mean what you are saying it means. I have nothing to dance around. I posted the link to his actual statements in context of a 2 hour debate. It is your statement that is trying to do the dancing.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:49 am
@parados,
Tyson's words: "I'm saying, the day we learn that it is true".
Do you agree that by 'that' he meant the alien 'simulation' that was the hypothesis of the debate?

There are only a limited number of things that 'learning that it is true' could mean in this context. It would have to be something like the aliens showing up and telling us, we accidentally discover the alien computer running the simulation, or something similar. Do you have an alternative explanation for what that meant?

And clearly, he is then saying that he will not be surprised: "I will be the only one in the room saying, I'm not surprised."

How could he not be surprised unless he is not fully convinced that we arose by natural processes and evolution?
cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 09:59 am
@hingehead,
There are many "poor buggers" around who believe in the Christian religion. My siblings belong in that bunch. The last time I saw my sister, she said going to heaven and eternal life is free. She said that emotionally. I didn't have the heart to argue with her.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:06 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
she said going to heaven and eternal life is free. She said that emotionally. I didn't have the heart to argue with her.
So how much do you think it costs? :-)
cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:08 am
@Leadfoot,
Giving up logic for faith.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:14 am
@cicerone imposter,
I'll keep both if you don't mind..
parados

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:26 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
How could he not be surprised unless he is not fully convinced that we arose by natural processes and evolution?

It seems you have left everything he said before that statement out of your interpretation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:27 am
@Leadfoot,
As I've said before, the christian god came rather late in human history. Also the fact that different cultures created different gods tells a good story about human nature.
Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:40 am
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
the christian god came rather late in human history
Where did you get the idea that there was a new God in town when Christ arrived? He definitely said it's the same one that Adam, Moses, Abraham,, et al spoke of.
cicerone imposter

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 10:53 am
@Leadfoot,
That's only seven thousand year history. This planet and human existence is much longer.
farmerman

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 01:45 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
I'm not trying to convince you that Tyson is a fellow ID believer if that's what you're thinking.
The dude is just reading scripts for the most part
But you will take it as such till something better comes along.
Your interpretations of what he actually said (as well as his overall worldviews) are a bit off, However, its not a class in reading comp. Youll have to accept the fact that many of us feel that youve been "caught at quote mining and asserting things that are not there - again"
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Fri 29 Apr, 2016 03:09 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's only seven thousand year history. This planet and human existence is much longer.
I don't really know how far back Adam goes. It's 7000 years only if you accept the calculations of some religions. I don't necessarily buy that. OTOH, it is generally accepted that recorded history only goes back about 6000 years (since written language).

But as even you concur, that's a lot more than 2000 years that you originally specified.
0 Replies

emehri

Wed 11 May, 2016 08:25 pm
@wandeljw,
Intelligent Design is a philosophical theory which tries to connect science and religion. Evolution is a scientific theory. So these two theories have no interfere.
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Wed 11 May, 2016 08:46 pm
First I don't believe in the very concept of "design"...we don't make stuff out of nothingness and that which is possible exists already in BEING. As for Intelligence I only take it to mean order, the kind of mathematical order one sees everywhere. Intelligence as meaning free willing creativity is yet another elaborate illusion. We are complex or perhaps complicated rocks...pause on that.
Leadfoot

Wed 11 May, 2016 11:31 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
that which is possible exists already in BEING.
Right, this computer I'm typing on and the enormous internet it's connected to was just itching to spring into existence because it's possible... Sorry, I can't buy that. You could wait a trillion years and a computer would not spring into existence without intelligent intervention.

Everything in existence is explained by the laws of physics EXCEPT everything that required intelligence to design, bring into existence whatever you wish to call it.

That is the core of Intelligent Design Theory.
farmerman

Thu 12 May, 2016 04:09 am
@Leadfoot,
can you recite maybe 20 important differences (regarding their states) between a living organism and a "laptop"?

If you cant, then perhaps the concept of evolution of organisms may be somewhat beyond your grasp.