Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

Amoh5

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:09 pm
@farmerman,
I love science and evolution etc. But I also love the moral character of Lord Jesus. There's no where in the bible where he says I must believe everything in the bible or the book of Genesis, only his words.
farmerman

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:13 pm
@Amoh5,
"whatever dude"--PAUL (the alien)

I totally understand your beliefs. I just dont share them.
Amoh5

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:17 pm
@farmerman,
Paul is not the teacher, Lord Jesus is the one and only...
farmerman

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:24 pm
@Amoh5,
Paul, of whom I spoke, was a CGI alien in a movie of the same name, starring Simon Pegg.

rosborne979

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:24 pm
@Amoh5,
Amoh5 wrote:
You must be one of those individuals who thinks that people who believe in God are not capable of scientific reasoning

That is not correct. And I don't see how you could draw that conclusion from what I wrote.
rosborne979

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:42 pm
@Amoh5,
I was only pointing out that your reference to "crazy religious people" is hypocritical given that you are obviously carrying around a lot of baggage of your own.

For example:
Amoh5 wrote:
I'm a Christian moralist, not a literalist. I'm only interested in decent moral character, so conspiracy theories about Lord Jesus don't interest me. Why would people want to ridicule a good character and teacher like Lord Jesus is inhuman and beyond me.

Claiming that you are not a literalist in one sentence and then following it up with a dismissal of valid challenges to the existence of Jesus as conspiracy theory reveals that you are deeply bound to the idea of Jesus as an actual historical figure. And your continued reference to him as "Lord Jesus" confirms that you do not see him as merely an analog to good moral ideas.

So you are carrying around your own set of preconceived and unsupported ideas about religion while impugning the religious views of others.
Briancrc

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:52 pm
@Amoh5,
Quote:
I'm only interested in decent moral character

I support you on this.

Quote:
Why would people want to ridicule a good character and teacher like Lord Jesus is inhuman and beyond me.

It didn't seem to me like that was being done. I think rosborne just brought up a point regarding the historicity of the figure, Jesus Christ. In the absence of first-hand accounts people have questioned the accuracy of the stories. When one thinks of how big the fish gets in the fisherman's story after each retelling, or what happens to the reliability of a message when it gets passed from person to person, it doesn't seem unreasonable to scrutinize the available evidence and ask the question.
cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 07:53 pm
@rosborne979,
Good observation.
0 Replies

Briancrc

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:14 pm
@farmerman,
https://static-secure.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2014/7/25/1406309097306/Paul-film-still-010.jpg
farmerman

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:18 pm
@Briancrc,
heh.

A guilty pleasure, that movie.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:43 pm
@rosborne979,
I do apologise for misinterpreting your post as I do encounter a lot of people who ridicule theism to justify that there can be no scientific rational thinking from theists. But I do understand your doubts with your research of Christianity. I have read a lot of conspiracy theories(the last one I read was the extracting of make-up info for the New Testament from the book of Psalms) on Christianity but choose to forget them because I am a Christian myself, and they do not hold sufficient evidence for me to want to change. The only evidence for God for me is through Lord Jesus. He addresses God as "Heavenly Father" (there's no Mother Earth in Christian theology though I suspect there is, even though its not mentioned) but Lord Jesus's description of God is "spirit". So I see the sky as Gods physique, which gives us air and water, but I worship only the spirit of God through Lord Jesus which is family values, morals etc etc. I know it sounds all metaphorical, but my main motivations as a Christian are primarily moral aspects. I don't pay any attention to the mythogical literature of Christianity, only the moral. At the end of the day, I think one must try to maintain their sense of "family" however way you can achieve that, otherwise whats the use in living?
cicerone imposter

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 08:52 pm
@Amoh5,
I'm not religious, but feel that buddhism has the best teaching. Buddhism teaches its adherents to improve themselves - like buddha.
Quote:
The steps of the Noble Eightfold Path are Right Understanding, Right Thought, Right Speech, Right Action, Right Livelihood, Right Effort, Right Mindfulness and Right Concentration. Moreover, there are three themes into which the Path is divided: good moral conduct (Understanding, Thought, Speech); meditation and mental development (Action, Livelihood, Effort), and wisdom or insight (Mindfulness and Concentration).
Amoh5

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:06 pm
@Briancrc,
Yes you are correct I did jump the gun so to speak, but I do agree there is a lot of conspiracy theories towards Christianity that have a lot of weight to scrutinize it. But I'm not a Christian literalist, only Christian moralist, so I don't really care about trying to debunk Christianity, only to learn and follow the moral aspects of it. All I can say is that Lord Jesus speaks a lot of human moral truths for just a mere fairy-tale character.
0 Replies

Amoh5

Thu 11 Feb, 2016 09:21 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I am happy for buddhists they are nice and respectable people, we are striving to improve ourselves as human beings so we can survive and prosper for generations to come. We must do away with self-destructive behaviour which is not intelligent at all.
0 Replies

hingehead

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 01:53 am
@Amoh5,
Quote:
What are you wishing for? A genie?

Just some sensible discussion from you - maybe with a bit of your vaunted decency showing through.

Taps fingers.
Amoh5

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 06:16 am
@hingehead,
Sorry to be blunt with you, but sometimes I get the impression that God descriptions have to be magical and amazing which I find childish and fantasia-like. My Christian understanding of God comes from Lord Jesus. He addresses God as "Heavenly Father" which is the same as "Father Sky"(There is no "Mother Earth" mentioned in Christian theology, but I suspect there is, even though she is not mentioned) But the description of God by Lord Jesus is that "God is spirit" which is family values and morals. So as a Christian "the physique of God" is the sky which nourishes us with air and water, and "the spirit of God" is family values and morals etc. etc. So the only magical factors I can see is air and water, and a positve mind of family values and morals. I know its not a recipe for a Hollywood fantasy movie, but I have no complaints about it, other than I do hope for a comfortable existence, like everyone else I don't pain or struggling either, but sometimes reality does bite. I just hope as a Christian that my positive aspirations of human family values will lead me to good things. Ultimately, I do think that if we believe in positive good things, good things will happen, but if we believe in bad things, bad things will happen(or manifest).
Setanta

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 06:28 am
@Amoh5,
I doubt that you are even aware of the extent to which you constantly attempt to enforce your world view with this "Lord Jesus" bullsh*t. There are no lords, other than in the minds of those who habitually truckle to authority figures. What's even more hilarious, and pathetic is the reference to "family values," a discredited, and rightly discredited, political slogan of the 1980s. Morality is a subjective and socially self-serving concept which has no absolutely being, although it is useful to the social contract. While i applaud your positive outlook, i continue to see you as fundamentally and hopelessly self-deluded.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 12:15 pm
@Amoh5,
"Human family values" differ from generation to generation, and culture to culture. Did you know that a culture in the Pacific practiced cannibalism until about 100 years ago? Religious differences have resulted in violence against each other - sometimes brother against brother. Mao was responsible for the execution of millions of his own people. You do know about the Nazis' history. If not, look it up.
Amoh5

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 05:12 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't think cannibalism, religious wars or mass murders are examples of family values and morals. They are more like unwell examples of family values. Good family values for me would be Mum & Dad love and respect one another, their children also love and respect one another. This love and respect could branch out to extended family, friends and people of other ethnicities. If I hadn't become a Christian I would not have really realized the value of "family" or "human life".
cicerone imposter

Fri 12 Feb, 2016 06:11 pm
@Amoh5,
What I was trying to convey was that so-called normal family life is a matter of time and place. History has shown that good people can become not good people. Some of the most advanced cultures like in Japan and Germany produced some of histories worst atrocities.