Intelligent Design Theory: Science or Religion?

farmerman

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:06 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:

But as you see, even Dawkins can't bring himself to say definitively and absolutely that they ARE that way
looks like Setanta asked you fist.
Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 02:20 pm
@farmerman,
Missed that one, Set was on 'ignore'.

Ask him if he knows what the definition of "might be" is. If Dawkins could legitimately claim to know, he wouldn't have to qualify his statement that way.
Quote:

Dawkins quote:
..."Its one of the hardest lessons for humans to learn. We cant admit that things might be neither good nor evil, neither cruel nor kind, but simply callous-indifferent to all suffering, and lacking all purpose"

But of course it was a BS statement anyway. Of course we can admit something might be that way., They might not be either.
Setanta

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 03:26 pm
I guess holy rollers just don't do irony--which is what Dawkins' locution is all about. I'm not surprised that he had me on ignore--he doesn't do well with people who ask questions he's not prepared to answer.
0 Replies

farmerman

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 05:05 pm
@Leadfoot,
I think youve missed the point of Dawkins' phrase ,The "Might be" refers to the two opposing concepts

Quote:

..."Its one of the hardest lessons for humans to learn. We cant admit that thingsmight be neither good nor evil, neither cruel nor kindbut simply callous-indifferent to all suffering, and lacking all purpose"
Briancrc

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 05:42 pm
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
Question X ---> If X = True then should see Y
If Y seen, X = True
If Y not seen, X = False
Y seen --> so X = True

Models for scientific inquiry can look a little different:
http://scienceblogs.com/ethicsandscience/wp-content/blogs.dir/377/files/2012/04/i-b6e4a58acdf539fdebf228f913912443-Flowchart2.jpg
0 Replies

parados

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 05:46 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Repeating the same error does not make it less erroneous.

Precisely what I am pointing out. Laughing
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 07:12 pm
Oh good grief. I've been debating Archie & Jughead.
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Wed 21 Oct, 2015 07:28 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:

I think youve missed the point of Dawkins' phrase ,The "Might be" refers to the two opposing concepts

Quote:

..."Its one of the hardest lessons for humans to learn. We cant admit that things might be neither good nor evil, neither cruel nor kind but simply callous-indifferent to all suffering, and lacking all purpose"

It does indeed refer to the two opposing concepts. He's saying it MIGHT BE #2 as opposed to #1. But he can't be sure.

The first being "good nor evil, neither cruel nor kind" (this being his characterization of the 'deluded' believer)

as opposed to #2

- "simply callous-indifferent to all suffering and lacking all purpose", (his attempt to express his 'objective and fearless' embrace of reality).

Your ability to parse English is no better than your cellular biology.
Leadfoot

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 09:23 am
Stumbled across this in a Google search when someone asked me if 'debating theism vs atheism' ever changed anyones mind. This isn't a direct example of that but it does fit this thread. I found it interesting. The full interview with Flew was found on : Strangenotions.com

Quote:
EDITOR'S NOTE: For the last half of the twentieth century, Antony Flew (1923-2010) was the world's most famous atheist. Long before Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Sam Harris began taking swipes at religion, Flew was the preeminent spokesman for unbelief.
However in 2004, he shocked the world by announcing he had come to believe in God. While never embracing Christianity—Flew only believed in the deistic, Aristotelian conception of God—he became one of the most high-profile and surprising atheist converts. In 2007, he recounted his conversion in a book titled There is a God: How the World's Most Notorious Atheist Changed His Mind. Some critics suggested Flew's mental capacity had declined and therefore we should question the credibility of his conversion. Others hailed Flew's book as a legitimate and landmark publication.
A couple months before the book's release, Flew sat down with Strange Notions contributor Dr. Benjamin Wiker for an interview about his book, his conversion, and the reasons that led him to God. Read below and enjoy!

Dr. Benjamin Wiker: You say in There is a God, that "it may well be that no one is as surprised as I am that my exploration of the Divine has after all these years turned from denial...to discovery." Everyone else was certainly very surprised as well, perhaps all the more so since on our end, it seemed so sudden. But in There is a God, we find that it was actually a very gradual process—a "two decade migration," as you call it. God was the conclusion of a rather long argument, then. But wasn't there a point in the "argument" where you found yourself suddenly surprised by the realization that "There is a God" after all? So that, in some sense, you really did "hear a Voice that says" in the evidence itself "'Can you hear me now?'"

Antony Flew: There were two factors in particular that were decisive. One was my growing empathy with the insight of Einstein and other noted scientists that there had to be an Intelligence behind the integrated complexity of the physical Universe. The second was my own insight that the integrated complexity of life itself—which is far more complex than the physical Universe—can only be explained in terms of an Intelligent Source. I believe that the origin of life and reproduction simply cannot be explained from a biological standpoint despite numerous efforts to do so. With every passing year, the more that was discovered about the richness and inherent intelligence of life, the less it seemed likely that a chemical soup could magically generate the genetic code. The difference between life and non-life, it became apparent to me, was ontological and not chemical. The best confirmation of this radical gulf is Richard Dawkins' comical effort to argue in The God Delusion that the origin of life can be attributed to a "lucky chance." If that's the best argument you have, then the game is over. No, I did not hear a Voice. It was the evidence itself that led me to this conclusion.
FBM

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 09:58 am
Quote:
Un-intelligent Design: No Purpose for Vestigial Ear-Wiggling Reflex

Around the human ear are tiny, weak muscles that once would have let evolutionary ancestors pivot their ears to and fro. Today, the muscles aren't capable of moving much — but their reflex action still exists.

These muscles are vestigial, meaning they're remnants of evolution that once had a purpose but no longer do. However, humans may be able to repurpose these useless muscles for their own uses, according to Steven Hackley, a psychologist at the University of Missouri and author of a new review of research on the forgotten muscles in the journal Psychophysiology. For one, these muscles activate in response to positive emotions, for reasons nobody truly understands. This odd fact creates a handy tool for psychologists seeking an objective way to measure emotion.

And then there are the educational implications: This muscle reflex is new evidence against the notion of creationism or intelligent design, Hackley said.

"According to intelligent design and creationism, our body was designed by a being with perfect intelligence," he said. "If that were the case, why would he put circuits in our brains that don't work? Why would you put circuits in our brain which are useful for lemurs that are useless for humans?" [Top 10 Useless, Vestigial Organs]

http://www.livescience.com/52544-vestigial-ear-muscles-try-to-wiggle.html?cmpid=514627_20151021_54280176&adbid=10153057301341761&adbpl=fb&adbpr=30478646760
Leadfoot

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 10:40 am
@FBM,
Quote:
Why would you put circuits in our brain which are useful for lemurs that are useless for humans?"

Software reuse often results in unused subroutines in computer science.
Lots of times you have to pad a byte value with leading zeros even if they are ignored. Other reasons are possible too. I'll ask the designer when I meet him :-)
farmerman

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 02:11 pm
@Leadfoot,
My parsing is perfect ( as opposed to your understanding of English, which seems to be- somewhat- rooky), You still dont seem to understand what Dawkins is getting at.

As far as cellular biology I admit my understandings are paleontologic in application, but all in all several stacks higher than your understanding.
Howevere, my organic chem (especially understanding of reaction rates and bonds) is several log cycles above you. Life is a series of reactions that work against gradients and are pretty-much self sustaining by reactions that are well understood
'

I recognize that most all science is available on the web but you really need to get an understanding of basics, rather than cherry picking phrases and random concepts from Google.

It aint my job , You want Ken Millers class down the hall. You did say that youd visit his book on "Darwins God"

You are an unwavering advocate of a specific worldview ,of which I am incredulous ,when coming from folks who claim to be sophisticated in quantitative methodology and computation skills. Science does not have advocates really(except for the "Scientific Method"). Although Ive had a few students who, after a grad program in applied geology methods, have retained an ID/Creationist worldview. I have no doubt that they are good folks who also have adeep need to ignore many basic concepts in what we teach , or else their heads would have to explode(My characterization, not theirs).

My feelings have always been , at first generous and outreaching to discuss their points of "belief without fact". However, when they no longer engage in collegial discussions and only wish to "play sophist games", Ill acknowlledge that they are like my Creationist students who have already ignored and denied much discovery based and experimental science.

Frank Apisa

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 02:34 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

My parsing is perfect ( as opposed to your understanding of English, which seems to be- somewhat- rooky), You still dont seem to understand what Dawkins is getting at.

As far as cellular biology I admit my understandings are paleontologic in application, but all in all several stacks higher than your understanding.
Howevere, my organic chem (especially understanding of reaction rates and bonds) is several log cycles above you. Life is a series of reactions that work against gradients and are pretty-much self sustaining by reactions that are well understood
'

I recognize that most all science is available on the web but you really need to get an understanding of basics, rather than cherry picking phrases and random concepts from Google.

It aint my job , You want Ken Millers class down the hall. You did say that youd visit his book on "Darwins God"

You are an unwavering advocate of a specific worldview ,of which I am incredulous ,when coming from folks who claim to be sophisticated in quantitative methodology and computation skills. Science does not have advocates really(except for the "Scientific Method"). Although Ive had a few students who, after a grad program in applied geology methods, have retained an ID/Creationist worldview. I have no doubt that they are good folks who also have adeep need to ignore many basic concepts in what we teach , or else their heads would have to explode(My characterization, not theirs).

My feelings have always been , at first generous and outreaching to discuss their points of "belief without fact". However, when they no longer engage in collegial discussions and only wish to "play sophist games", Ill acknowlledge that they are like my Creationist students who have already ignored and denied much discovery based and experimental science.

Ahhh...neat transition from "intelligent design" to "creationist."

I like that...and it was smooth.

The "creationist" babble IS easier to deal with.

But "intelligent design" is a bit more complex...and you are not doing an especially good job of dealing with that.

If there is the possibility of a god (or of a much advanced society) there is the possibility of intelligent design.

That seems to be an uncomfortable truth for you to acknowledge, Farmerman. Perhaps that is because what you are actually saying here is: There is no possibility of a god.
farmerman

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:11 pm
@Frank Apisa,
If I wish any babble from you, Ill merely puch the repeat button and your mantra will play incessantly. As for the difference twixt Creationist and ID, Its not my determination Frankie. Its the legally binding determination of the Pa Federal District Court(decision of kitzmiller v Dover_) .

Did you know what your obsessive phrase anagrams out into??

Betcha dont
hingehead

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:50 pm
Apropos of nothing.....

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/29/68/e8/2968e88f70b2c36b977a32322c2bbd34.jpg
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 03:52 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

If I wish any babble from you, Ill merely puch the repeat button and your mantra will play incessantly. As for the difference twixt Creationist and ID, Its not my determination Frankie. Its the legally binding determination of the Pa Federal District Court(decision of kitzmiller v Dover_) .

Did you know what your obsessive phrase anagrams out into??

Betcha dont

Yeah...but we are having a discussion in A2K...not in any District Court, Farmerman.

If there is the possibility of a god...there is the possibility of intelligent design.

You gotta live with that...no matter how much it hurts.

No...I do not even know what you suppose to be my obsessive phrase, Farmerman. But I would bet you are going to tell us.
farmerman

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 04:44 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frankie said to me
Quote:

But "intelligent design" is a bit more complex...and you are not doing an especially good job of dealing with that

To which I tried to patiently explain to the old fart that I was not responsible for that conjunction of the words CREATIONIST/IDer. It was a conjunction coined by the Federal District Court. So I assume it has some validity in normal usage. So, then Frankie, always one who demands what the ord "Is" is, demands more of me for discussing this concept with the morons who deny that the conjunction has any basis in reality. Frankie says,

Quote:
Yeah...but we are having a discussion in A2K...not in any District Court, Farmerman
Id think that such a discussion "On A2K" did not have strict requirements to set legal precedent. Perhaps Frankie can tell me why he thinks otherwise.

Ha, THINK?, not a word which we commonly accuse Frankie of doing. He is, after all, from New Jersey, and the toxic air from Toms River to the Swamps of the Meadowlands imbue his frontal lobes only with bumper stickers and phrase loops.

Frank Apisa

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 04:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Frankie said to me
Quote:

But "intelligent design" is a bit more complex...and you are not doing an especially good job of dealing with that

To which I tried to patiently explain to the old fart that I was not responsible for that conjunction of the words CREATIONIST/IDer. It was a conjunction coined by the Federal District Court. So I assume it has some validity in normal usage. So, then Frankie, always one who demands what the ord "Is" is, demands more of me for discussing this concept with the morons who deny that the conjunction has any basis in reality. Frankie says,

Quote:
Yeah...but we are having a discussion in A2K...not in any District Court, Farmerman
Id think that such a discussion "On A2K" did not have strict requirements to set legal precedent. Perhaps Frankie can tell me why he thinks otherwise.

Ha, THINK?, not a word which we commonly accuse Frankie of doing. He is, after all, from New Jersey, and the toxic air from Toms River to the Swamps of the Meadowlands imbue his frontal lobes only with bumper stickers and phrase loops.

Jeez! Rolling Eyes
FBM

Thu 22 Oct, 2015 07:10 pm
@Leadfoot,
Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:
Why would you put circuits in our brain which are useful for lemurs that are useless for humans?"

Lots of times you have to pad a byte value with leading zeros even if they are ignored. Other reasons are possible too. I'll ask the designer when I meet him :-)

Doublespeak translation: Factual support for evolution, but still, http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/lalala_1.gif
Frank Apisa

Fri 23 Oct, 2015 04:03 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Leadfoot wrote:

Quote:

Doublespeak translation: Factual support for evolution, but still, http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb192/DinahFyre/lalala_1.gif

The fact that "evolution" has occurred...says nothing about whether or not intelligent design exists...and nothing about whether or not there is a god.

But atheists like you and Farmerman apparently are too stone-headed...and without the ethical wherewithal...to acknowledge that.

This is fun.
Laughing