where do you get contraceptions?

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 12:55 pm
So me and my fiacee will be getting married later this year, and we both agreed that after I graduate college in a month or so, we will make love for the very first time.

We are both very niave about this stuff, but we know that we will use a condom and birth control pill.

We went to buy some pills, but we were not able to find it. went to wal mart, and wallgreens, but could not find any pills. the condom aisle had everything but the pill. they had the patch, the foam, and some other things. Do you need a prescription to buy the pill? why am I not able to find it?

Also, my gf's cycle is rather wierd. She can go months w/out having her period and i'm just wondering will it effect he pills effectiveness?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 919 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
Re: where do you get contraceptions?
semidevil wrote:
So me and my fiacee will be getting married later this year, and we both agreed that after I graduate college in a month or so, we will make love for the very first time.

We are both very niave about this stuff, but we know that we will use a condom and birth control pill.

We went to buy some pills, but we were not able to find it. went to wal mart, and wallgreens, but could not find any pills. the condom aisle had everything but the pill. they had the patch, the foam, and some other things. Do you need a prescription to buy the pill? why am I not able to find it?

Also, my gf's cycle is rather wierd. She can go months w/out having her period and i'm just wondering will it effect he pills effectiveness?

First it's really nice that you waited to have sex. It isn't common anymore and nice to hear that someone stuck to their beliefs. Congratuations on your upcoming wedding!

Second, you can buy condoms in the store in every shape, size, color and yes, flavor out there. Some are meant for oral sex, like the flavored ones. Some are meant as jokes...the normal condoms are for pregnancy and STD prevention. You can get them at pretty much any drug store or Wal-Mart, Meijer, Target. My personal choice when I used condoms was Sheik. Just me though. Very Happy

Third, pills must be prescribed by a doctor and can't be bought over the counter. Some people swear by foam, the condom or the sponge...others like the pill. It must be taken every day around the same time for it to be effective. Your gf can talk to her gynocologist about this.

It will actually regulate her periods. She might find she likes it because she will know just when she is ready to start. Her irregular periods will not effect the pill....reverse actually, that the pill effects her periods! Very Happy
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 03:27 pm
Point of reference: It doesn't happen to everyone, but going on the pill can REALLY mess up your hormones (spesh if she's irregular) and as a result mess up your HEAD. Please please please if you're going to do that get her settled on the pill don;t just think Pill to Sex without a gap because if it does mess with her head then it cud really ruin your great thing
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 07:15 pm
the pill messed w/ my head big time!!! i already have a tendency to depression, and the elevated levels of estrogen that the pill creates can really increase female mood swings... she needs to go to the gynecologist, and find out about all the health risks and benefits that are associated with all the options. she could also consider the depo-provera shot or the patch. go to the doc!!!
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 12:50 am
Hehe yeh Dora that's what i was hinting at... i just didnt wanna say i'm a nut case and it made me go fruit loop Razz
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 02:04 am
I had irregular periods for years and the pill is brilliant for regulating periods.

I was on it for about 4 years.During this time I became very depressed, I thought it was life getting me down.
I stopped taking it a couple of months back and Im glad to say I feel like a huge black cloud has been lifted off me!!I didnt realise the pill I was on effected me so much.Im going to the docs next week to talk about going on a different one.
Just be aware that it can seriously effect her moods and try a different tablet if it does.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 09:42 am
In order to buy birth control pills, you need a prescription. Only a doctor can prescribe this. The pill may actually help regulate her period. It will not change the effectiveness of the pill. The pill is over 99% effective (if taken as instructed). Also, your fiancé will need to take the pill for two weeks before it is effective. So plan ahead.

If you are not worried about STDs, there really is no reason to use a condom and the pill as the pill has such a low chance of failure. I have taken the pill for over 15 years (except when trying to get and being pregnant) and I have never gotten pregnant, other than planned pregnancies.

As Bella said it would be best to talk with your doctor first as there are so many options and also so many pros and cons to each method. The pill has worked excellent for me, but others may not like the fact that they have to take a pill every day.

As Bekaboo states with the pill (as any method) there are pros and cons. The best source is your doctor. S/he will be able to tell you any side effects of any method you choose. And also depending on any other health issues, another method of birth control may be best. Some situations where you should not use the pill - is smokers or those with high blood pressure.
0 Replies

Tenoch

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:53 am
just go to planned parent hood. when i was in college i went there for regular std test. (i was taking a health class and was visiting for a project).

It was all free and then the guy there asked me if i wanted any free condoms. i was like "sure." then he asked me, "is 48 condoms enough." I couln't help laughing. I didn't have a girlfirend or any friends with benifits at the time so it was funny to me.
0 Replies

the wise

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 04:45 pm
dora17 wrote:
the pill messed w/ my head big time!!! i already have a tendency to depression, and the elevated levels of estrogen that the pill creates can really increase female mood swings..

Is that all true? It seems like my relationship ended within a few months of her being on the pill. Of course she was also on anti depressants since she was like 10. Ah well. Thats sad.
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Sat 30 Apr, 2005 08:14 pm
yep, it's true. the pill has LOTS of estrogen, that's how it works basically and of course estrogen levels can have a lot to do w/ moods. i think from my personal experience that some one who already has issues w/ depression might be even more affected. my bf and i went thru our roughest patch in our five years when i was on the pill for a year. sorry to hear about your experience, wise
0 Replies

the wise

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 11:56 pm
And so why did you get off the pill? Did you guys realize that was what the problem was?
We still talk sometimes and I'm wondering if I should talk to her about it?
What do you think?
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 01:42 am
I was only on it for something like a week or 10 days. Every day I was in floods of tears... and my boyfriend new instantly there was something wrong. I had depression but i normally go into a quiet introspective Eeyore-like mode... i don't scream and cry. When I tried to ..... well let's not go into this. Let's just say i did something very VERY stupid, he told me that was it. Either I called the doctor here and now or he was calling my mum and then walking out the door.

Not a hard choice to make
0 Replies

dora17

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 11:55 pm
oh.my, bekaboo, sounds sooo familiar...i have a number of and-then-i-did-something-so-stupid stories from when i was on the pill. unfortunately, i have now been on depo-provera shots for about a year and i'm wondering if they are having some of the same effects.. ya can't win... anyway, wise, i think it may be worth talking to her. I only figured it out because my doc warned me about it, so we figured it was a possibility since we both noticed a change. It definitely was having an impact on our relationship. If it really seemed like she changed noticeably soon after that, you might want to discuss it with her.. for her sake too, even if you guys don't get back together.
0 Replies