Citizen border patrol looking north to Canada

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:55 am
The Minuteman Project , a civilian border patrol group that has already claimed credit for alerting federal authorities to over 300 illegal border crossings from Mexico, announced Tuesday that it wants to expand its operations northwards to the much longer Canadian border.
A spokesman said that the group hopes to establish citizen patrols for Idaho, Michigan, North Dakota and Vermont. Minuteman patrols are scheduled to begin near San Diego by June and across the entire US-Mexico border by October. The group's leaders say they are taking action in the absence of adequate measures by the official US Border Patrol to properly secure the borders and stop illegal immigrants coming in to the United States. US government officials all the way up to the President have said they are opposed to vigilante groups and that border security is properly the business of the Border Patrol.

Quote:
USATODAY
THE NATION

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,958 • Replies: 42
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:57 am
Fine by me.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:38 pm
Fine by you?
What harm are the illegal immigrants causing?

So what if they are entering illegally. You have consistently supported an illegal war.

So what if they are "costing American's money". They have to be a hell of a lot cheaper than the billions per day Iraq is costing your nation.

They don't contribute to the economy becuase when they work, they don't pay taxes? Taxes schmackses. Bush doesn't seem to think taxation is all that important, given his sweeping cuts.
Besides, eventually they will become contributing members of society--should this Y2K protectionist attitude someday retreat and value the lives of people seeking the seeds of the American dream the US has mass produced and scattered throughout the world.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 06:20 am
candidone1 wrote:
Fine by you?
What harm are the illegal immigrants causing?

So what if they are entering illegally. You have consistently supported an illegal war.

So what if they are "costing American's money". They have to be a hell of a lot cheaper than the billions per day Iraq is costing your nation.

They don't contribute to the economy becuase when they work, they don't pay taxes? Taxes schmackses. Bush doesn't seem to think taxation is all that important, given his sweeping cuts.
Besides, eventually they will become contributing members of society--should this Y2K protectionist attitude someday retreat and value the lives of people seeking the seeds of the American dream the US has mass produced and scattered throughout the world.

Very sad...very sad. You are apparently clueless on this subject so there is no reason to initiate a debate.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:07 am
That's it?
If I'm so clueless, enlighten me. Don't halt the dialogue because I don't know what you know.
This is "Ask the Experts".

....I really want to learn more, other than my clueless perspective.
And I would value your opinion over links any day WH.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:26 am
candidone1 wrote:

Well, I don't live in America.

But I noticed that some news very often isn't noticed that much.
Therefor I post links, which I find interesting.

I've published my opinion already on a thread (no ideas, which one precisely), which dealt with the 'Minuteman Project' in the South.
I don't think, border control is something, what should be done privately or even by vigilants like here.
But since there's a lot of working medieval tradition in the USA, my opinion isn't worth even the famous 2 cents here.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:32 am
Quote:
Very sad...very sad. You are apparently clueless on this subject so there is no reason to initiate a debate.

candidone

Just quickly review the posts on this thread by that author. Information forwarded? Point of view carefully elucidated? Any poster so meagre in contribution can be ignored with no loss to anyone on the thread.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 08:50 am
The experience i have accrued in Canada over the last several years suggests to me that this can be solved easily. All one need do is paint a broad white line along the border, and erect signs reading: "Please do not move forward until you have been called, thank you."

Yer typical Canadian may advance to the point at which his/her toes are at the very edge of the white line, but said Canajun will also starve to death standing there, waiting to be called.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:03 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
candidone1 wrote:

Well, I don't live in America.

How is that significant?

Walter Hinteler wrote:
But I noticed that some news very often isn't noticed that much.
Therefor I post links, which I find interesting.

But you essentially called me ingorant.
If you find it so terribly interesting, then direct a willing individual to your treasure chest of knowledge. It's not often someone is interested in obscure news bits.

Walter Hinteler wrote:
I've published my opinion already on a thread (no ideas, which one precisely), which dealt with the 'Minuteman Project' in the South.
I don't think, border control is something, what should be done privately or even by vigilants like here.
But since there's a lot of working medieval tradition in the USA, my opinion isn't worth even the famous 2 cents here.

Then don't berate or belittle me because I put my opinion on the table. That's my simple request.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:20 am
candidone1 wrote:

But you essentially called me ingorant.

I can't remember, when I did so and I can't recall of the circumstances as well - but that must have been the very first time that I did so. Shocked

candidone1 wrote:

Then don't berate or belittle me because I put my opinion on the table. That's my simple request.

No you get a bit, ehem, sorry for that, funny.
Could you please quote, where I did so? I've looked all over my responses, since you joint here, I unfortunately didn't find those passages.

Thank you.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:24 am
candidone

You mistake walter for someone else. Or you've mistaken his post. Likely no one here has a more gentle and careful nature than W.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:27 am
Thanks for the compliment, blatham.

But this really is the first time that I'm attacked here in such a way.
I'd just like to know the reason.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 09:31 am
Setanta wrote:
The experience i have accrued in Canada over the last several years suggests to me that this can be solved easily. All one need do is paint a broad white line along the border, and erect signs reading: "Please do not move forward until you have been called, thank you."

Yer typical Canadian may advance to the point at which his/her toes are at the very edge of the white line, but said Canajun will also starve to death standing there, waiting to be called.

Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:00 am
I've been consistantly disagreeing with Walter over the past five years. No one is more consistantly courteous, and I don't need to examine prior posts to make the statement.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 01:28 pm
blatham wrote:
candidone

You mistake walter for someone else. Or you've mistaken his post. Likely no one here has a more gentle and careful nature than W.

....and you are right.
That is why I was simply asking for him to elucidate the response that I mistakenly (and embarassingly...) attributed to him.
I am well aware of Walter's diplomatic and gentle message board demeanor.
It was woiyo's response who I quoted initially, and somehow neglected to pick up on through-out the back-and-forth.

My most sincere apologies. Embarrassed
I feel like an ass.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 01:33 pm
Setanta wrote:

Laughing
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
Yeah, but the beer stinks...
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 04:46 pm
candidone

As walter's secretary, I have full authority to forgive you. When he finally gets around to paying me, I'll forgive him too.

Otherwise here, I make no defence of the motherland.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:10 pm
It's okay, candidone :wink:

Bernie, your Amex Gift Cheque is on the way.
http://www.mainzelahr.de/smile/unsortierbar/mail.gif
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 29 Apr, 2005 06:19 am
LOL thank you walter
0 Replies