Question - HDL and LDL levels

Chai

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:07 am
Can your HDL levels ever get to be more than your LDL's?

This sounds like I'm bragging - But I think it's just that I picked the right ancestors -
My LDL is 62 and HDL 60, giving me a ratio of 1.03 (anything under 3.22 is normal)
So I guess I'm gonna live to be 535 years old unless I get hit by a train.

This got me thinking - Can your HDL level actually get higher than your LDL - Like in someone like Lance Armstrong?

anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 948 • Replies: 1
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:10 am
Hi Chai Tea,

Your levels are obviously very good on both your HDL and your LDL. Your LDL is fantastic. There's no medical reason why your HDL can't be higher than your LDL, but it would be pretty unusual. One correction on your ratio calculation... The ratio is usually calculated as the ratio of the total cholesterol/HDL. The total cholesterol is higher than the sum of the HDL and the LDL because there are other blood cholesterols not measured by the HDL and LDL tests. Let's assume your total cholesterol is 150 gm/dl, then with your HDL of 60 your ratio would be 150/60 or 2.5, which is still fantastic!
0 Replies