The US, UN & Iraq II

nimh

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:39 pm
perception wrote:
Frolic wrote

<loathing? Yes, like every normal human being i'm disgusted by the pictures of war and the lives of innocents taken because some lunatic leaders want to play tough!>

Do you also have loathing for the current evidence that Saddams Stalinist machine is now firing on the citizens of Basra.

That does seem to be implied by what frolic wrote, doesn't it? I'm sure he/she (?) cnosiders Saddam to be one of the lunatic leaders, too ..

Again, I have to repeat my question here about what it exactly is you expect to prove with these questions, demanding war-opponents like us to "express their outrage" at Iraqi crimes ... That we are not Saddam-loving GI-haters? Again (you didnt answer last time round), do you really expect to find any of those here?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:45 pm
That's a really interesting piece, Nimh. It's what I've been hearing from Iraqi exiles -- those interviewed on National Public Radio but not (that I know of) in the commercial, mainstream media.

Speaking of commercial, mainstream media, did you see Krugman's piece on Clear Channel today? Just in case you didn't, I think I'll go and get it for everyone...
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:52 pm
Excerpts from Paul Krugman's op-ed piece in the NYTimes 3/25

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/25/opinion/25KRUG.html
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 09:56 pm
Geomagnetic activity has waxed and waned for much of March as Earth has slipped in and out of a series of solar wind streams. The next such encounter is perhaps less than a day away. Sky watchers should be alert for auroras on March 25th or 26th when Earth enters another solar wind stream flowing from a coronal hole. NOAA forecasters estimate a 10% chance of severe geomagnetic activity at middle latitudes on March 26th.
http://www.spaceweather.com/
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:13 pm
for boycott of Clear Channel see;
http://www.petitiononline.com/lovepigs/petition.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:24 pm
I wonder, were those CDs crushed AFTER they paid for them....used? Or were they crushed out of the box?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:25 pm
Iragi troops are now dressing as Coalition forces---- taking surrender of other Iraqi troops then executing them.

Kuwaiti people are demonstrating in support of the war--seeking out Al Jazeera TV cameras to try and counter the propaganda effect of the biased Arab station.

Iraqi TV is now off the air----no more Saddam propaganda.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:38 pm
Perc., what is the source of these news?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:40 pm
Dag - exactly what I was going to ask. The only bit I found to be listed at BBC was the bit about iraqi tv going off-air.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 10:52 pm
perception wrote:
Iragi troops are now dressing as Coalition forces---- taking surrender of other Iraqi troops then executing them.

Kuwaiti people are demonstrating in support of the war--seeking out Al Jazeera TV cameras to try and counter the propaganda effect of the biased Arab station.

Iraqi TV is now off the air----no more Saddam propaganda.

So now there are two questions I'm really interested in the answers to:
Did you expect to find Sadaam-loving, GI hating people here? and,
What is the source of the first two items you mentioned?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:00 pm
Dagmar and K

FOX news---the only fair and balanced news source---no one on this forum would like it because it does not present your favored bias.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:02 pm
you're prolly the only person in this forum who thinks that FOX is unbiased.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:06 pm
Fox unbiased? why is it that you hear the same line of arguments over and over and over on Fox, without any space for dissenting voices? For I thought unbiased coverage, not unlike BBC, tries hard to scope out all positions, facts, opinions out there and make them available to public.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:12 pm
Excerps from an article at the BBC:

there are signs that a compromise could form around the plan for a buffer zone, which Turkey says is necessary to aid any refugee crisis and protect its own security interests.

"We want to keep all of the refugees there," Mr Gul said, stressing that Turkey was keen to avoid a repeat of the refugee crisis seen in Turkey in the first Gulf War in 1991.

Correspondents say Turkey would reserve the right to go beyond the buffer zone if it believed Iraqi Kurds were moving towards establishing an independent state.

Turkey humanitarian aid?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:15 pm
Fox has just reported that the reason the Iraqi TV station was not taken off the air initially was due to the presence of several civilians----the decision for taking it out now was a presidential level decision.

They have also just reported that a second soldier has died as a result of the Muslim American soldier rolling 4 grenades into a comman tent at Camp Pendelton.

Also a hospital was captured after our troops were fired upon from the hospital. Afterward they found an Iraqi tank, 3000 chemical protection suits and and a large supply of arms and ammo in this facility.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:22 pm
I agree that BBC is an excellent news source however I don't know of any BBC correspondents with the troops --- do you?

Actually I switch channels a lot--- and then I depend of this forum for the latest from Timber---he is wired..........
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:23 pm
perception, go to BBC, click on war in iraq - there is a list of diaries from the field. I'd guess that one or two of those folks are from the BBC. I could be wrong.

BBC War correspondents

also

Day-by-day sets of info
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:26 pm
LittleK

When Gen Franks can concentrate on the North I would predict that Turkey would withdraw those troops--- however a buffer zone may not be unreasonable given the history of the age old conflict between the Turks and the Kurds
0 Replies

perception

Reply Tue 25 Mar, 2003 11:38 pm
Fox is reporting that the civilian uprising in Basrah appears to be real but the British forces are having a very difficult time because Iragi forces are dressed as Coalition forces then as regular Iraqi troops surrender they are executed. Because of this they cannot fire into the city for fear of killing the wrong people.

This has happened after the General in charge of the division at Basrah surrendered early but his troops were not taken prisoner.
Apparently a very serious mistake.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 26 Mar, 2003 12:01 am
Fox is reporting that Russia, Germany and France are trying to block UN humanitarian aid to prevent legitimising the action in Iraq
0 Replies