The US, UN & Iraq II

timberlandko

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:47 pm
I would be surprised had not such an incident as the alleged "fragging" occurred. It is possible the soldier's ideology was subsidiary to his idiocy. Callous though it may sound, I am gratified that so far incredibly few of us have been hurt, and that so few of our hurts have been due to enemy action. A city of fewer inhabitants than our military in the region number has a considerably higher incidence of crime.

An aside: I received an unexpected e-mail from an "embedded" correspondent ... my son is well, tired but enthusiastic, and arrogant regarding the playing of darts.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:51 pm
perception, I'm 6 or 7 pages into the article. It's informative about the writer and theist/ideologist Qutb. Interesting, but I don't really get what you think it's saying.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:51 pm
whew
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:56 pm
Timber - that's great news!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:56 pm
And, I finished the article, what is supposed to open my eyes about it?
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 09:59 pm
Quote:
It is possible the soldier\'s ideology was subsidiary to his idiocy.

Whew, timber. What a perceptive statement. Thanks for that.

And what good news about your son!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:03 pm
I don't think Muslim Fundamentalism is the problem, I think it's fundamentalism of any kind.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:06 pm
Yep, Tartarin. Just so.

And your new atavar would mean...?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:08 pm
[quote]Perle's Plunder Blunder
By MAUREEN DOWD

ASHINGTON

It's Richard Perle's world. We're just fighting in it.

The Prince of Darkness, a man who whips up revelatory soufflés and revolutionary pre-emption doctrines with equal ease, took a victory lap at the American Enterprise Institute on Friday morning.

The critical battle for Baghdad was yet to come and "Shock and Awe" was still a few hours away. (The hawks, who are trying to send a message to the world not to mess with America, might have preferred an even more intimidating bombing campaign title, like "Operation Who's Your Daddy?")

Yet Mr. Perle, an adviser to Donald Rumsfeld, could not resist a little pre-emptive crowing about pre-emption, predicting "a general recognition that high moral purpose has been achieved here. Millions of people have been liberated."

His conservative audience at the Reagan shrine's "black coffee briefing" (they're too macho for milk and sugar) was buzzed that their cherished dream of saving Iraq by bombing it was under way.

The chesty "you repent, we decide" Bush doctrine was cooked up pre-Bush, fashioned over the last 12 years by conservatives like Mr. Perle, Mr. Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Paul Wolfowitz, Scooter Libby, Douglas Feith and Bill Kristol.

The pre-emption doctrine prefers ad hoc coalitions, allowing an unfettered America to strike at threats and potential threats. At A.E.I., Mr. Perle boasted that far from going it alone, the Bush administration had a coalition of "more than 40 countries and . . . growing." (Including Micronesia, Mongolia and the Marshall Islands, all of them.)

And he was already looking forward to giving makeovers to other rogue regimes. "I'm rather optimistic that we will see regime change in Iran without any use of military power by the United States," he said.

Michael Ledeen, an A.E.I. scholar on the same panel, called Iraq "just one battle in a broader war. Iran is . . . the mother of modern terrorism."

As Bush 41 learned, waging holy wars can be dicey. After pressing the morality of Desert Storm, he faced questions about his postwar conduct. Critics excoriated Mr. Bush, who had labeled Saddam another Hitler, for turning his back as Saddam laid waste to Kurdish refugees and to Kurds and Shiite Muslims rising up against him after the war.

Now Mr. Perle, who urged America to war with moral certitude, finds himself subject to questions about his own standards of right and wrong.

Stephen Labaton wrote in The Times on Friday that Mr. Perle was advising the Pentagon on war even as he was retained by Global Crossing, the bankrupt telecommunications company, to help overcome Pentagon resistance to its proposed sale to a joint venture involving a Hong Kong billionaire.

The confidant of Rummy and Wolfy serves as the chairman of the Defense Policy Board, an influential Pentagon advisory panel. That's why Global Crossing agreed to pay Mr. Perle a fat fee: $725,000. The fee structure is especially smelly because $600,000 of the windfall is contingent on government approval of the sale. (In his original agreement, Mr. Perle also asked the company to shell out for "working meals," which could add up, given his status as a gourmand from the Potomac to Provence, where he keeps a vacation home among the feckless French.)

Although his position on the Defense Policy Board is not paid, Mr. Perle is still bound by government ethics rules that forbid officials from reaping financial benefit from their government positions. He and his lawyer told Mr. Labaton that his work for Global Crossing did not violate the rules because he did not lobby for the company and was serving in an advisory capacity to its lawyers.

But that distinction is silly because Global Crossing has so many other big names on its roster of influence-peddlers that it doesn't need Mr. Perle's Guccis for actual lobbying footwork or advice on the process. His name alone could be worth the $725,000 if it helps win the Pentagon's seal of approval.

His convictions of right and wrong extend to the right and wrong investments. On Wednesday he participated in a Goldman Sachs conference call to advise clients on investment opportunities arising from the war, titled, "Implications of an Imminent War: Iraq Now. North Korea Next?"

Maybe Mr. Perle should remove the laurel wreath from his head and replace it with a paper bag. [/quote]
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:09 pm
Operation who's your daddy! Haha!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:11 pm
Kara

You were not one of the naive souls I had in mind but even you might benefit from this article. Seems as though it was just translated into English recently and it is called "The philosopher of Islamic terror". It's an in-depth look at the philosophy of our real enemy but then I'm sure you're aware of all that propaganda---it was probably written by Condoleeza Rice or maybe George W.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:11 pm
A scathingly funny and bon-chillingly scary article. She's a great columnist.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:16 pm
perception - are you a religious man? How would you feel if you thought bigger and stronger countries were out to eliminate your religion and that they had the help of some factions of your religion within your own country? Personally I think the fighting over religion has been our species' most persistent problem. I think that we have no choice, as the article you linked to says, but to focus on very deep issues of relgion and tolerance in order to find common ground.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:16 pm
http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-pacepa032203.asp]http://www.nationalreview.com/comment/comment-pacepa032203.asp
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:22 pm
LittleK

If you did any more than just scan it you will know the answer to this question.

What did Qutb consider the most dangerous element of American life. No fair going back and re-reading it.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:27 pm
Kara

That was a great bit of information you provided----It looks as though your mind is not completely closed. Did this have any effect on your thinking?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:28 pm
LittleK

Times up!
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:31 pm
Re: Cheney, Halliburton, Schulz and Bechtel, and all the rest of our local heroes:

I wonder whether we're so used to high-level corruption in the relationships between corporations and the government that what's going on now will just skitter by, largely unremarked. The New York Times noticed it? Yup, but only in their business section. Do read it all the way through. The dots connect right back through the Reagan administration:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/23/business/23REBU.html
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:31 pm
I saw a 5 year old Iraqi boy with 75% burns this morning. He's alive at the moment.....but he won't be for much longer.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 22 Mar, 2003 10:37 pm
perception, everything that I read, or hear, that is worthy of consideration, I ponder and think about.

This from the Economist goes a fraction toward educating us about the fissures in the Middle East.

http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=1649403
0 Replies