The US, UN & Iraq II

Tartarin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:41 am
Well, Perception, if the thought comforts you... We do tend to project onto others those things we least like to recognize in ourselves...
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:48 am
Roger

I get the distinct impression he sold out-----why else would he make a statement every time a microphone was shoved in his face that would leave a biased opinion far beyond his charter. He was supposed to inspect, evaluate and report to the security council-----that was his charter period. He far overstepped his authority by giving his personal opinion every time someone asked. That was the agenda of a paid salesman----perhaps he was a car salesman in another life.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:52 am
I agree with everything except payment for services rendered. That's why I said "chippie". Whores get paid.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 11:07 am
On the NY Times Editorial Page, this article today:

The War After War With Iraq

By TIMOTHY GARTON ASH

OXFORD, England

Timothy Garton Ash, director of the European Studies Center at St Antony's College, Oxford, is a fellow at the Hoover Institution at Stanford

Just a few excerpts. Do read the whole article if you can get a paper.

Quote:
Over the last few weeks, the geopolitical West of the cold war has collapsed before our eyes. No one can know what the shape of the new world will be. As Prime Minister Tony Blair said in his magnificent speech to the British Parliament on Tuesday, "History doesn't declare the future to us so plainly." But we can already see three broad ideas competing for the succession to the cold war West. I'll call them the Rumsfeldian, the Chiraco-Putinesque and the Blairite.

Quote:
..That leaves Blairism. Tony Blair's idea is that we should recreate a larger version of the cold war West, in response to the new threats we face. What he calls the "coming together" of weapons of mass destruction and terrorism should frighten us as much as the Red Army used to. The way to deal with American unilateralism is not rivalry but partnership. Partners are not servants. Last September, as the Bush administration began its push for action on Iraq, Europe should have said "with one voice" that it would help Washington confront terrorism and weapons of mass destruction, provided that it went down the United Nations route and restarted the Israeli-Palestinian peace process. Europe and America should always work together through the international institutions of the post-1945 world. Mr. Blair's idea is completely right. The trouble is the execution. He made two big mistakes over the last year. The first was not to do more last September to try to bring Europe to speak with one voice. Instead, he became almost a part of the internal administration argument in Washington, while neglecting Berlin and Paris as they swung together in an antiwar waltz. The second error was to forget that partnership also involves sometimes saying no. One has the feeling that Mr. Blair is that kind of very decent Englishman who will always say no to drugs and never say no to Washington. If you have a stronger European voice, it's more credible that you might say no, and hence less likely that you'll have to. ....

This story is on the front of today's Wall Street Journal:

Four Governors Claim to Rule
Ethnically Split, Oil-Rich City

Called 'Jerusalem of Kurdistan,' Kirkuk City
Offers Glimpse Into Maze of Post-Hussein Iraq
By FARNAZ FASSIHI

Staff Reporter of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

DARBAND-I-KHAN, Iraq -- Rouzegar Ali Hamajan

and an article on Page Two entitled: War Poses Risks for Globalization Trend, by David Wessel. The last is very well balanced and interesting, no matter which "side" you are on.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 11:09 am
Some talk on CNN about it being a body double of Saddam who made the TV appearance last night.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 11:32 am
Joe Nation wrote:
peace.
S T I L L possible.

Yes, that is precisely what our soldiers are over there trying to assure us all; meaningful and lasting peace, free from the concern over what Saddam will do and when.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:20 pm
NPR commentator -- didn't catch name -- says the attack has changed dramatically in the past hour and may indicate that the invasion is about to be over. "Iraqi leadership has fallen apart..."
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 01:21 pm
Sam Gardiner is credited with the above statement. Retired Air Force Colonel.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 02:08 pm
Here's some more on the possibility that the attack may be ending or about to end:

Bush Summons Cabinet to White House
Thursday March 20, 2003 7:10 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) - President Bush, leading the nation into war a second time, summoned his Cabinet to the White House on Thursday as officials sought to determine whether attacks aimed at killing Saddam Hussein and other Iraqi leaders had succeeded.
In a White House cloaked by extraordinary security, aides dismissed criticism from abroad while U.S. officials said explosions in Baghdad and U.S. artillery fire on Iraqi troops were a prelude to a massive assault on Iraq, due any time.
Behind the scenes, White House officials said early reports from the battlefield were encouraging, raising hopes that senior Iraqi leaders may have been captured or killed, perhaps even Saddam.
While cautioning against speculation, government officials said intelligence information suggested that Iraq's leadership was in disarray after the attacks. The administration raised doubts about whether television footage of Saddam was authentic. http://www.guardian.co.uk/worldlatest/story/0,1280,-2495864,00.html
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:46 pm
tartarin, that is such hopeful news. Against all odds, this may be the 24-hour war.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 03:57 pm
I do have to wonder about this: "Thursday March 20, 2003 7:10 PM ". Sounds like the old time machine is working after all. I've seen dates and times in advance of reality before, though.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 04:21 pm
I doubt "its over". The attack has barely begun. There are increasing reports of major Iraqi surrenders accompanying US and British ground action in Southern Iraq, and in Northern Iraq, both major Kurdish factions claim similar Iraqi behavior. So far, this has been "Attract Attention and Generate Interest". "Shock and Awe" will be unmistakeable if and when it commences.

Things do seem to be going less well for The Iraqis than for The Coalition Forces. I anticipate imminent far greater inconvenience to befall the Iraqis. The reports of a few oilwell fires are troubling, but do not indicate widespread destruction. Still, in '91 the firing of the Kuwaiti oilfields essentially was conducted to cover the Iraqi retreat from the oilfield area. The Iraqis have not begun to withdraw from the oilfields, to current appearances.

I note too that among the Iraqi missiles to have been tossed at Kuwait have been at least 2 SCUDS, which, of course, as they have 5 times the permitted range, Saddam denied possessing (and of which Dr. Blix was unaware. That gives serious cause to wonder what else Saddam failed to disclose, and what else The Inspectors missed ... apart from full and open compliance with the requirement to disarm.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 08:55 pm
timber, are you in e-mail contact with your son?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 09:40 pm
I'm just skimming through all the many different "Attack on Iraq" stories on TV. Something I noticed really sickens me. It's the endless analysing of our grand military strategy, with all its accompanying scientific-sounding descriptions of our prowess, armaments and preparedness.

Here's the thing - it really strikes me like an oiled-up guy on a beach telling his girlfriend to "tell me how good looking and strong I am, baby".
I mean Geez, we're talking about a country whose soldiers surrender to unmanned drone planes. We keep bleating about "shocking and aweing" a
people whose military, compared to ours, is like Pee Wee Herman facing off against the freakin' Terminator. I wonder if anyone in this administration has the presence of mind to even be a little ashamed about all this bluster?

On second thought, forget I asked.
Damn.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 09:46 pm
now listening to BBC London, a discussion about the US Development Aid for post war Iraq has 2 stipulations ( buy american) and (no abortions) its a good thing we are not trying to shove Bush policy down their throats!!!!!!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:02 pm
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:09 pm
I'm glad you wrote that, Snood -- I'm feeling the same way. However, a positive note (for those of us who rely on NPR). They've been at it all day with analyses, news, comments, and call-ins. Several callers have been military people, very complimentary. One just now said that NPR has the most accurate, measured, and knowledgeable military news. Big feather in that publically supported cap!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 20 Mar, 2003 10:44 pm
Yes. Garrison Keillor for President!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 04:14 am
Kara, I've not heard from my son since that last e-mail I mentioned. I expect that will be the case for a while yet ... he is "In the Push", and rather busy, I imagine. Though I'm glued to the news channels and websites, I'm confident his training, equipment, and Leaders will keep him safe and allow him to complete his mission. I'm still worried for his safety on a personal level, but he and I alike understand and accept that there is risk, moreso in war than in any other endeavor.
The first reported Coalition casualties appear to be due to a helicopter crash which claimed both US Marines and British Commandos ... that hit a little close to home. Further details of the crash have quelled my concern for him ... he is not aircrew, and it appears the only Marines were the helicopter's crew. I detestthe loss, and share the grief of the families of the crash victims, but, if selfishly, I am relieved that the grieved families do not include my own.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 21 Mar, 2003 05:42 am
Let's hope the Iraqi's surrender without a fight.
0 Replies