The US, UN & Iraq II

sumac

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:08 pm
"i truely believe that if Bush and Blair wanted a settlement with Saddam they would not have included the benchmark of Saddam making a public apology on his national television. this is TOTALLY non-relevant and reeks of school yard bully demanding the word "uncle"..."

I didn't react that way on first hearing. I thought, what a stupid and irrelevant condition. So he goes on TV and mouths some words.....what is the relevance of that? Has absolutely no relationship to anything of importance.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:11 pm
Now, BillW. A resolution implys resolve. As in, 'to do something'.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:11 pm
It is ridiculous to require it because if he did do it, it wouldn't mean anything anyway. As you say sumac, "what a stupid and irrelevant condition"
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:12 pm
That was what I said roger, a "resolution"
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:12 pm
dyslexia wrote:
SOP and the issue is the WoMD not t.v. i cant really believe the mentality of going to war over the avoidence of a public apology. this is a total non sequitor.

Then you would not require a public mea culpa from my fictional CEO?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:15 pm
we never get one so i dont expect it. we also dont bomb his corp. over his lack of apology. this is a no brainer.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:20 pm
What I am concerned about is this:

If the assumption is correct, held in some quarters, that the WOMD are buried underneath the ground, either under or near the Presidential palaces or anyplace else, and we go in there with the MOABs, will the detonation bury everything, or set it free into the atmosphere? Or was the detonation of the prototype in Florida last week merely psychological warfare, a priori?

If we have the ability, as some reports suggest, to "x-ray" the ground to see what is buried beneath the sand, how is that accomplished without allowing time to fly over the entire country? I realize that the U-2's were supposed to reveal a great deal, but
that appears to have been derailed. What now?

I am encouraged by recent reports that the Iraqi military command is cracking, but that is only of benefit to those who go in.

I am mightily concerned about the delay here. France has made his (not her) position clear here about the use of the veto. We all know that both France and Russia do not want Saddam out as that would endanger their loans and lucrative contracts. Germany's motivations are still a little unclear in my mind.

Yes, I want it over with. But only because lives will be saved. The train has left the station.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:20 pm
resolve to:

1)determined elimination of WoMD in Iraq
2) continued steps for humanizing the Saddam Regime
3) overcoming the massive hurt the people are experiencing from the sanctions that have been in place for 12 years.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:26 pm
BillW wrote:
resolve to:

1)determined elimination of WoMD in Iraq
2) continued steps for humanizing the Saddam Regime
3) overcoming the massive hurt the people are experiencing from the sanctions that have been in place for 12 years.

These aren't unreasonable ideas, but it is important to remember that #3 is due to Saddam's absolute and continuing unwillingness to do #1 and #2.

The original Gulf War resolution gave Saddam 15 days to disarm. Do you think his people would have suffered under sanctions for 12 years had he complied in 15 days? While I respect your right to want a non-military solution, lets all be clear as to who has caused those 12 years of suffering, and who has had the ability to end this all along.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:35 pm
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:39 pm
dyslexia wrote:
just to keep things complicated: "U.S. military predicts greater provocation as North bids for aid

The clear, concise message we should be sending is that no amount of provocation will bring us to the table with aid. NK needs to reverse its current course and get back in comliance with existing treaties before it asks us to enter into any new arrangements. This should be non-negotiable. If we send the message that provocation will get them what they want, we only give them an incentive to continue to escalate with further provocative actions.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 04:46 pm
http://www.globalpolicy.org/wtc/targets/2002/0329iraq.htm

Interesting article on the rules of Iraq ceasefire. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 05:09 pm
An early example that still holds the truth of it pronouncements today.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 05:56 pm
My son is there. This is his second tour in the area. His first was a dozen years ago. He has much better quarters this time, he informs me, though the sandstorms are a real bitch.

timber
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:28 pm
This thread moves at lightspeed.

Quote:
Kara, you and your husband put politics above marriage? To me it's a distant second to friendship

Roger, I don't put politics above friendship. But I put principle above being controlled. The truth? I think he is PO'd that I won't be going to the ACC tournament with him on Saturday. Basketball is much more serious business in NC than politics. Laughing

Quote:
Not as long as people allow wars to happen. This war has not been created by either Osama or Saddam. We are the invaders, pure and simple. There is nothing about this proposed action which is defensive, except in the rhetoric.

Tartarin. Yes, yes, and yes.

Quote:
I truely believe that if Bush and Blair wanted a settlement with Saddam they would not have included the benchmark of Saddam making a public apology on his national television. this is TOTALLY non-relevant and reeks of school yard bully demanding the word "uncle"..."

Exactly how it looks to many others, Dys. I think it was intended, don't you?

Tartarin and dys, and sumac who said just about the same thing. I, as did Bill, laughed out loud when I heard that item on the wish-list. It is like moving the target everytime someone gets close.

Good link c.i.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:29 pm
timber Sad
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:36 pm
Karabara - when do you leave? Fly or drive? Enquiring minds just want to be nosy. Actually, I will be looking for you on the TV, so just wave to me, ok?

hehehehehe
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:51 pm
You want details, cobalt? I am going up on a bus, leaving at 6 am, return midnite.

You will see me on TV, standing on a tank, waving an American flag.

I am having a tee-shirt made. It reads PATRIOTS (then an insert of an American flag) FOR A PEACEFUL SOLUTION.

I am head of a new group with that name. I am, so far, the only member. Laughing
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 07:59 pm
A bit from Joe Conason:casus belliJoe Conason's Journal
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 08:05 pm
Timber

What is your son's position on the "Gulf War Syndrome" or whatever the hell made all those guys sick?
0 Replies