The US, UN & Iraq II

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:14 pm
I can't remember, if this webside already had been mentioned before, but since it shows some excellent links ...

Iraq Foundation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:15 pm
Quote taken from Blah3.com: The US will defy the UN and make war on Iraq FOR DEFYING THE UN.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:16 pm
Roger -- I agree with you that "positive effects under any scenario" are iffy. Wishful thinking at best. I also think there may be (yet another!) divide in the thinking which we haven't addressed, and that's "positive for whom?" When I assess the effects of war, I look at how it will affect all of us -- not just all of us Americans. I can't seem to look at the subject from that particular, very local perspective...

As I read on through the past several posts, I note that Steissd speaks of "professional pacifists." Took me a while to process that. Still not sure -- a professional artist is different from another artist because professionals are paid. Are some pacifists paid? How did I miss out on that? Show me the money!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:17 pm
Well, if the UN continues acting in spite of the U.S. interests and plans, this is a desirable solution.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:20 pm
Tartarin: re professional pacifists- i think it must have something to do with union dues.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:21 pm
About "professional pacifists". The term refers to media men (predominantly columnists) that promote pacifist ideas. Of course, they are paid, since journalism is their main occupation.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:25 pm
Copied from a link. c.i.
CHRISTMAS ISLAND

A Nuclear Test Veteran Remembers

At the moment of detonation there was a flash. At that instant I was able to see straight through my hands. I could see the veins. I could see the blood, I could see all the skin tissue, I could see the bones and worst of all, I could see the flash itself. It was like looking into a white-hot diamond, a second sun.

The above graphic description of the nuclear explosion on Christmas Island on 28th April, 1958, is provided by Ken McGinley in his book No Risk Involved published by Mainstream Publishing Company (Edinburgh) Ltd, 1991. The book was written in conjunction with Eamonn P. O'Neill, an experienced Scottish journalist. My review copy was kindly made available to me by James Gwilt, himself a nuclear test veteran of Christmas Island.

This book is very wide in scope and covers the period from Ken McGinley's growing up through to the establishment of the British Nuclear Test Veterans Association, founded by Ken McGinley in 1983, to the ongoing struggle against nuclear testing on a worldwide basis. McGinley has campaigned tirelessly for recognition of the problems suffered by the nuclear test veterans of Christmas Island and for the compensation he feels that they are entitled to receive.

This Web site focuses on Chapter 3 of this book which covers the Christmas Island bomb tests. McGinley demonstrates how the veterans had no protection during these tests and how the official government line was completely at odds with the reality.
I was in the Strategic Air Command in the late fifties, and worked with nuclear weapons. I never personally saw a live explosion, but saw many 'training' films. I thought the copied link would be helpful in showing time-frames of the 'experiments.' c.i.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:32 pm
steissd

And those jouranlists, who promote the US, then can be called "professional warmongers" !?!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:34 pm
walter i think they are called "french fighters" Wink
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:35 pm
Oh, sorry, I forgot the change! Laughing
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:36 pm
Quote:
from

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2003112349,00.html

TONY Blair yesterday stamped on wriggling anti-war worm Jacques Chirac.

Intelligent debate from our fun loving Iraq killing blood thirsty muslim bashing virulently anti Labour Sun comic
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:37 pm
no matter how its trodden the worm turns, or something like that Wink
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:39 pm
Today's UN Wire

PEACEKEEPING AND SECURITY
IRAQ: U.S. Shows Openness To Delaying Vote; U.K. Proposes Benchmarks
TERRORISM: U.S. Urged To Focus On Halting Nuclear Proliferation
SERBIA: Key Assassination Suspects At Large; Emergency Declared; More
IRAN: Country's Atomic Energy Chief, U.N. Envoy Defend Nuclear Activity

http://www.unfoundation.org/unwire/current.asp
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:42 pm
Well, it's just a Murdoch paper.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
Secretary of State Colin Powell says a draft U.N. resolution authorizing the use of force against Iraq might be withdrawn if there appears to be no hope of avoiding a French veto. Appearing before a House subcommittee, Mr. Powell said whatever happens in the U.N. Security Council, a "day of reckoning" is approaching for Saddam Hussein.

http://www.voanews.com/article.cfm?objectID=688676FE-1326-4FEA-827478C2DD3981A9
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:06 pm
Steve, Good link: good to see Blair getting some support, because he's trying to do the right thing. France doesn't help any by just declaring "no war," and not being instrumental in any solution. That's the wrong way for France to act. If they want peace, they must work for it. Just saying "no war" provides nothing to the crisis. Why aren't they demanding anything from Saddam? Saddam is the problem, not PM Blair, who is trying very hard to go through the UN. c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:08 pm
It seems the UN Resolution won't be voted on until Monday. Another delay. c.i.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:12 pm
I think in many respects France is doing the right thing -- as is Mexico. It's really important for the rest of the world to realize that many old allies of the US aren't willing to accept US domination when it means unreasonable acts of aggression. France undoubtedly has very mixed motives in all this, but I'm for anyone standing in the way of American hegemony. No, in my view there is nothing which justifies attacking Iraq at this time.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:15 pm
Don't misunderstand, Tartarin. I think there is plenty of justification. I now am about convinced that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 13 Mar, 2003 02:15 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
It seems the UN Resolution won't be voted on until Monday. Another delay. c.i.

Yeah, it seems The Frenchified Four and The Slippery Six get at least another weekend of headlines before their irrelevance is fully established.

Looks like a Mo0nday vote at the earliest, and H Hour is shifted into the next weekend or the following week. My bet now is for a 96 hour 24-28 Mar window

timber
0 Replies