The US, UN & Iraq II

BillW

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:23 pm
What an ally!! One you can depend on, I guess!!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:24 pm
steissd, they contributed one ship in the "Gulf War", can't remember its exact duties - not war related though as you make in your prior post!
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:27 pm
Ul, I think this is a hoax. U.S. promised to inform Israeli governemnt in advance (since Israel can be attacked by iraqi Scuds), but I am sure that Israeli government will not release this information into media. If Mr. Gurdus possessed reliable information, it would be prohibited to him to arrange leakage. Since all these are figments of his imagination, he was permitted to talk.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:32 pm
steissd - here's an article I came across from Sept of 2001 about Japan changing their constitution:

http://www.glocom.org/media_reviews/w_review/20010925_weekly_review15/

I couldn't find anything about their one ship support.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:35 pm
Well, this is a non-combattant logistical support, I think it is quite acceptable.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:39 pm
BTW, I'm not knocking that support, I feel sure it was doing interceptor duties in the open seas or possibly a medical ship - all support is always appreciated!!!
0 Replies

ul

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:47 pm
I hope it is a hoax and I hoped that you responded.

At the moment there are so many news around- it is getting more and more difficult.

What about the news : US Short One Vote ?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:49 pm
Not quite sure what Steissd meant by not "permitted to talk" -- so thought I should post (from the above link) a description of who the talker is:

"Gurdus is regarded as the leading communications monitor in the Middle East and works for Israel radio and television. He has broken numerous stories because of his ability to intercept and understand foreign-language civilian and radio broadcasts and communications..."

Maybe he can get away with talking? Maybe he wants to get fired from his job and become a B-movie producer? Who knows?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:51 pm
I think, the most important thing is a political support of Japan. Of course, this country is not a permanent member of the Security Council, but still it is very influential, especially in the East Asia.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 01:59 pm
Not knowing what the heck the World Tribune is (though I've seen it cited before), I went a-lookin'. Don't recognize anyone on their editorial board. They are located in Falls Church (D.C.+/-). Here's WHY they are doing what they're doing:

"World Tribune.com is an American Internet newspaper dedicated to offering its readers news of the day's most significant international developments.

"This newspaper exists because we believe the world's most influential nation is poorly served by U.S.media outlets that focus on domestic political and cultural issues to the exclusion of relevant news affecting the other five-and-a-half billion people in the world. The Internet is perhaps the most obvious facilitator of an increasingly global economy and culture. While the United States is the world's leading power, in the years since the U.S. retreat from Vietnam, and especially after the fall of the Berlin Wall, the American media outlets have significantly decreased available resources for the coverage of international news.

"Is there any evidence that Americans are interested in the world beyond their horizon? As a matter of fact there is. Editors and producers often seem to forget that Americans love to travel abroad and are most curious about cultures different from their own. Many have served in the military or belonged to military families. Other have lived abroad because their employers posted them there. The recent international mergers involving American companies is only one of the ways in which national boundaries are being rendered less relevant. And we at World Tribune.com are convinced there is a market for news of the world and not just news of the weird.

"We are not alone in pointing out the shortage of international news in the American press. Many American news professionals take it as a given that their markets will not support the publication of world news. World Tribune.com seeks to prove this hypothesis wrong by its very success. We welcome your support and your comments."
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:01 pm
i wonder how much we paid for the endorsement?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:04 pm
Aw, Dys. Why spoil the party? What's a few hundred billion more or less?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:07 pm
Dys wrote:

i wonder how much we paid for the endorsement?

Can I send you enough money to buy a new songbook????
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:38 pm
Quote:
Tartar wrote:

Giant sucking sound------

That's what happens when you move your legs perhaps

Shame on you, perception.

steissd, everyone knew that Japan would be on board, but you are right in that it is a morale lifter for the administration.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:43 pm
Kara

Hey Tartar and Pdiddie have changed the rules as far as my interaction with them-----the gloves are off.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:48 pm
Steissd

As this war is to be fought (among other things) for Israel, how many ships is Israel contributing?
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:49 pm
I think that rules of discussion must not change under any conditions. It will be wrong if the A2K gradually transforms into Abuzz in its contemporary state. Ladies and gentlemen, please, no ad hominem.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 02:58 pm
I think it is a hoax as well. Can't think of any good reason for the military command structure to inform pilots in the air, a line of communication that they know full well is vulnerable. And why so far in advance? Doesn't make any sense. Has anyone checked the Israeli press? I look for a denial.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:05 pm
That is another reason for considering it a hoax. Really, pilots are not supposed to know the exact date of attack. Maybe, very few people know it: President, Vice-President, Secretary of Defense and Chief of Staff HQ.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 12 Mar, 2003 03:13 pm
I don't believe any fixed date exists for the date of attack. They keep pushing it back, because not all the blocks are in their holes. They must first tell the UN inspectors to leave. A day or two after that, perhaps. c.i.
0 Replies