The US, UN & Iraq II

perception

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:14 am
Nimh wrote:

Joe Nation wrote:
I need to go back to find the post but I think time is running out on someone's -ten more days and it's over- postulation.

Dont think so. Perception's got five days yet, it's only half-time!

Nimh

Thanks for keeping track of my prediction.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:27 am
timberlandko wrote:

Potential is one thing, demonstrated, ongoing, active participation is another thing entirely. I own many firearms, which gives me the potential to shoot up the neighborhood. There is no reason to suppose I might, and much reason to conclude I would not.

What pressing "ongoing, active participation" are you citing?

timberlandko wrote:
Your observation here suffers from oversimplification, unwarranted assumption, and flawed logic.

Please point out the logical flaw, your subsequent text did not contain any logical references.

timberlandko wrote:
The role of states as the sole entities of global politics has ended; there has evolved an entirely new class of entities which are stateless geopolitical operators. The world is a bit slow catching up to the phenomenon. A threat need not, in fact increasingly will not, have a flag, borders, or civil infrastructure. The Community of Nations, by and large, is and has been moving away from the practice of overt State-vs-State Armed Conflict. Proxy war has become the norm, wherein a state will, either covertly or otherwise, endorse and support a faction engaged in a third-party dispute, generally of internecine nature, with a faction the defeat of which would be of strategic benefit to the sovereign entity providing the aid. A given conflict may be subject to a number of proxies, working to differing ends, and often in most Byzantine, complexly intertwined, multi-tentacled fashion. By nature of the dichotomy of "Establishment" and "Anti-Establishment", an anti-establishment faction may be expected to be required to exersize unconventional means to attempt the effecting of its ends. Terrorism is a frequently employed tactic. The conflict in which Civilization is engaged is not with any particular State or States, but against the ideology which employs terrorism. This ideology is stateless, areligious, and bears no ethnicity. Terrorism is a vile, vicious, detestable, contemptible evil which, as largely has been slavery, must be eradicated.

One could make the case that this post contradicts much of what you say. If the threat is stateless why do you advocate attacking a state? And your ideological argument is full of holes. Simply saying a nation's ideology is wrong does little to make your case. Since Sddam's ideology is quite removed from that of the terrorists that attacked the US your connectiopn is that much weaker.

Really, repeating "Saddam is bad" and "terrorism is evil" does not make a case for war.

Once again, please provide supporting evidence to your assertion that civilization is at risk. Please provide a modicum of support to the implication that invading Iraq will reduce the statistical probability of terrorism. Generalized comments about the geopolitical state of the world is tantamount to sidestepping a very simple pointed question.

timberlandko wrote:
Have I addressed that to your satisfaction?

The only question you attepted to address at all was the one about the "rogue" nations. The rest you ignored and launched a speech about how you see paradigms to have shifted.

Let me repeat it again:

You claim civilization is at risk. I find this hyperbolic. Please provide evidence to this grand claim.

You claim invading Iraq will help reduce terrorism. I'm not looking for a spiel about how terrorism is evil how certain ideologies are bad and how the world has changed. Please simply state the logical foundation that would support your claim that invading Iraq would reduce the statistical probability of terrorism. You claim it is integral. Please make a logical attempt to validate this claim.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:34 am
timberlandko wrote:
frolic wrote:
This is a funny story

Saddam Hussein: Honorary citizen of Detroit, Michigan

Can someone confirm this?

Of course its true. And when that happened The Soviet Union was a Super Power, Disco was King, I had considerably more hair, and Alan Alda starred on the number one TV sitcom. None of that is any more relevant.

None of that is any more relevant. Indeed, but it shows again the flexible response of the US Govt. Friend in good days and foe in bad days.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:34 am
Craven, Good questions all. We will await timber's response. c.i.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:38 am
frolic, Saddam did bring that on his own divine self (may I add, the same way Bush is brininging it on his own divine self)! Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:45 am
perception wrote:
Impatience and short attention span are not good reasons for incoherence but I will accept them since we are off topic.

I agree.

perception wrote:
Did you ever think your simplistic explanation of seeing colors differently might be due merely to a physiological genetic defect called "color blindness"?

No, because I was not referring to any real situation. Nevermind this analogy, it is an old one from childhood's hour.

perception wrote:
Since I only respond to "pet peeves" when there is nothing better to do, I won't legitimize this one with an answer. This is not intended to be a slight but we are off topic.

Use of the term "pet peeve" aside you tried to use your age to validate your perpective. This is logically bankrupt as I ahve demonstrated.

perception wrote:
You made the statement that the war "is a cakewalk" . This is a sloganistic term of the type you have vehemently protested in the past but I don't want to make that an issue----just point it out as being contradictory and inconsistent with many of your past statements.

I do not use that term as a slogan. I use it simply as a descriptor. It does not contradict my earlier statements.

perception wrote:
Since you have concluded we are passing swiftly into the post war effort of keeping the peace and the more important effort of rebuilding the Iraqi economy so that it will be self sustaining----what would be your plan for accomplishing this goal? I'm assuming of course that you wouldn't just pull our troops out and let chaos prevail.

I did not say anything about chaos, I did not say anything about passing swiftly into the next stages. I simply said that this war is a cakewalk (as far as wars go) and that I disagree with those who play up the minor setbacks.

As to the post war effort I agree with recent UK and French positions.
0 Replies

Gelisgesti

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:53 am
Yes, 'Dangling conversation' .... it just seemed to fit.

Just watched Bush address the Marines at PI. There is just something wrong with him yelling out to these kids that will be putting there lives on the line, semper fi.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 11:54 am
Timber wrote:

Quote:
This is World War Three. Terrorism knows no borders. It festers as surely in the heartland of America as it does in the mountains of Afghanistan, the plains of Iraq, or the slums of Ireland.

Yes, that is true, timber. We will be fighting terrorism forever. But when we start wars, we are asking for terrorists to pay us back the only way they know how. They lack our power, and they lack a state base, but they have the advantage of portability and flexibility and no lack of recruits who see every day more examples of US arrogance and need for world domination.

Perception wrote in part:

Quote:
Consider for a moment that it is possible that this truly is one of the motivations for initiating this war----would or could you deny this a valid moral justification for going to war?

Consider for another moment that removing a murdering tyrant from power as another true motivation for initiating this war. Is that not another valid moral justification for going to war.

Consider for another moment that seeking to bring stabilization to the most turbulent section of the world is another valid motivation for initiating this war. Is this not another moral justification for going to war.

I think the above possible justifications are at least as valid as your reasons for not going to war which as far as I can tell is only one----we have not been attacked by Saddam.....

The real issue is morality for you---my reasons are a bit more pragmatic but I have given some moral justifications as proof of my good intentions to find an acceptable basis for this war.

There are many other considerations to be sure but do you agree that my intentions are at least honorable and this war could be considered justifyable---depending on the criteria established.

I have not questioned the integrity of your intentions nor the internal motivations for them. And I guess the ones you list are at least not dishonorable. However, I think that singly or severally those "reasons" to go to war do not hold water because the stated goals can be accomplished in other less violent ways, and we do not have to bring the entire American war machine to kill a tinpot dictator and trash the country of Iraq. Thus, to me, the war is not justifiable.

Craven wrote:

Quote:
I understand the nature of the desire to prevent such attacks as 9/11. I understand, but do not share, the fears of an attack with WMDs. But I can't fathom what makes you see the situation as so dire.

In addition, other that the specter of WMD terrorist attacks, what relevance to the "war" on terrorism does this war (no quotes) have? There were easier ways to prevent the proliferation of WMDs (such as indefinite inspections and "smart sanctions"). I really am curious as to what tangible benefit in terms of the reduction of terrorist attacks you see as so integral.

Hear, hear, CravenDeKere

Craven said:

Quote:
Each side says they need to arm themselves because it's inevitable that such armaments will be needed. That humans are unlikely to end their vicious cycle I admit. It is indeed inevitable that humans will stoop to violence.

But this doesn't come close to justifying the propensity for violent resolution of conflict. Every "war monger" that walked the earth tried his best to put on the grim concerned face and say they hate war but it is sometimes necessary. It's kinda like the Steven Segal movie trailers, <deep movie trailer voice> "An innocent man... forced to violence.."

Simple men on both sides of any conflict invoke the existential threat, the inevitbility of violence and then proceed to drag their counterparts into their sick world.

So very true. As someone posted on this thread some weeks ago:

Revealing words spoken by Herman Goering during the Nuremberg trials:

"Of course the people don't want war.... That is understood. But
after all, it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and
it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a
democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist
dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the
bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they
are being attacked" [by Iraq], "and denounce the pacifists for lack of
patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any
country."

Gelisgesti said:

Quote:
So if at crunch time the Iraqi people tell us to shove democracy ...... will it be democracy at the point of a gun? Force fed freedom.

Sad but true, and not just true but likely...

perception said:

Quote:
Your observations of reality create vastly differing mental concepts from my observations of the same reality. I am puzzled by that realization and have no answer.

I stated a few pages ago what my understanding of reality is. Your reality and mine differ as much from each other as any two people passing on the street. I live and work and think within my own reality, with its own frame around it, a frame that is a construct of everything I have been, seen, and known. I wish I could step outside of that frame and see "actual" reality, but I haven't learned how to do that, yet.

Habibi:

Two excellent posts from you, some pages back, requiring nothing from me but agreement. I will note this, however:

Quote:
If you do consider this kind of outright war an effective and justifiable means to stamp out terrorism in the world overall, where's the benchmark, upon what criteria is an attack justified? If this is indeed "the beginning", how many of these cases are still ahead? Here, I'm not commenting, but asking?

Someone said once that the answers you give are not as important as the questions you ask. Yes, indeed.

Gelisgesti quoted from the FL appeals court:

Quote:
Fox argued from the first, and failed on three separate occasions, in front of three different judges, to have the case tossed out on the grounds there is no hard, fast, and written rule against deliberate distortion of the news. The attorneys for Fox, owned by media baron Rupert Murdock, argued the First Amendment gives broadcasters the right to lie or deliberately distort news reports on the public airwaves.

That may be the most deliciously ironic post on this whole thread.

perception wrote:

Quote:
Kara wrote:

You ask if I can prove that what we are doing is not the right thing. Perception, only history will answer that question. I would not presume to do so. I have grave doubts about what we have done and are doing, and mostly I doubt our reasons.

Now you have only grave doubts instead of vehement criticism of the administration. I detect a softening of your previous confrontational stance.

Now you only doubt our reasons---again a softening of your previous stance.

Do I detect a change in your mental concepts albeit ever so slight?

Any change is probably due to profound sadness and resignation, causing numbness in an attempt to shut out the noise, deepening as the days pass and the bodies pile up.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:03 pm
Kara,

I disagree that an Iraqi rejection of democracy is likley. They might use said mechanism to go in a direction that we don't like. And fledgling democracies take time to produce reliable leaders. These are all hurdles.

But my take on the prospects is that the US will keep power long enough to erect a government that is very favorable to US terms.

After some time, our influence will decrease, but in the beginning the persons we want to have power will have power and they will be supported and their power maintained by us much in the same way as Afghanistan, though I suspect the transition to the "appointed leader" will not be as swift.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:25 pm
Craven,

That is what I meant to say but did not. We can, of course, force any government we want on a conquered people, and we would naturally want to set up a democratic regime of some sort. My fear is that we are trying to force a square peg into a round hole. In a country that has never known democracy, there are enormous hurdles to overcome: educational and economic, not to mention undoing, somehow, the fear and hostility and secretiveness of many decades of iron-fisted Baath party rule, as well as dealing with the tribal rivalries that have always existed in Iraq since its founding.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:27 pm
Kara wrote:

Any change is probably due to profound sadness and resignation, causing numbness in an attempt to shutting out the noise, deepening as the days pass and the bodies pile up.

Take cheer in my prediction that this conflict is very nearly over and the killing will be greatly lessened except for the occassional suicide bomber or suicide attack. If the Turks had allowed the 4th ID to open a second front in the north this war would be over by now. IMO. BTW---my information has come mostly from FOX news which I then cross check as much as possible. MSNBC is reporting much the same thing now but in the beginning it had a decided chilling forcast of doom and gloom. They have recovered and adjusted very adeptly.

Those who choose the anti-war biased sources are denied the latest news and cannot hope to present an accurate forcast.

I am hopefull that the Turks will pay a heavy price for their bad decisions. They have caused and will continue to cause many people on both sides to die needlessly.

Also take cheer in the bravery and fighting spirit of that young lady who has just been rescued. She was fighting to the death even after she ran out of ammo. Her story will continue to come out and I think it will be very inspirational.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:28 pm
I must agree with Craven on this; that Iraqi democracy will be greatly influenced by the US - simply from occupation, the rebuilding, and money flow into Iraq from the US. c.i.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:34 pm
I think it's important to note that I think that is one of the only ways the US can ensure a democracy.

There are no democratic mechanisms and while those are established governance will be sanctioned by a US mandate.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:35 pm
perception wrote:

I am hopefull that the Turks will pay a heavy price for their bad decisions. They have caused and will continue to cause many people on both sides to die needlessly.

the heavy price of democracy? or are you suggesting that they should not have have been quite so democratic?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:39 pm
Kara wrote

That is what I meant to say but did not. We can, of course, force any government we want on a conquered people, and we would naturally want to set up a democratic regime of some sort. My fear is that we are trying to force a square peg into a round hole. In a country that has never known democracy, there are enormous hurdles to overcome: educational and economic, not to mention undoing, somehow, the fear and hostility and secretiveness of many decades of iron-fisted Baath party rule, as well as dealing with the tribal rivalries that have always existed in Iraq since its founding.

Kara

You continue to encourage paralysis by analysis by what you have just written.IMO
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:44 pm
Dys wrote:

the heavy price of democracy? or are you suggesting that they should not have have been quite so democratic?

Not at all----they made several bad decisions----all of us usually pay a heavy price for bad decisions----It is my understanding that the PM Gul indicated to Powell that he counld control his parliment and made a tentative deal that he could not keep---this is a duplicitous act and then the anti-war sentiment caused the parliment to make a bad decision that has had enormous consequences for the Turkish people and everyone involved. It was their choice to make---now they should pay the penalty.
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 12:50 pm
the March 29 edition of The New York Times:

Quote:
At the base camp of the Fifth Marine Regiment here, two sharpshooters, Sgt. Eric Schrumpf, 28, and Cpl. Mikael McIntosh, 20, sat on a sand berm and swapped combat tales. The marines said they had little trouble dispatching their foes, most of whom they characterized as ill-trained and cowardly. "We had a great day," Sergeant Schrumpf said. "We killed a lot of people.... We dropped a few civilians," Sergeant Schrumpf said, "but what do you do?" [In one incident], he recalled watching one of the women standing near the Iraqi soldier go down. "I'm sorry," the sergeant said. "But the chick was in the way."

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung/wuerg/vomit-smiley-015.gifhttp://www.5tharmy.army.mil/images/usarmy.jpg
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:15 pm
The latest---

Saddam international airport is under attack by coalition forces.

Sec Def has just emphatically announced there will never be a "deal". It is total unconditional surrender which I fully support.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:21 pm
Frolic wrote:

Quote:
At the base camp of the Fifth Marine Regiment here, two sharpshooters, Sgt. Eric Schrumpf, 28, and Cpl. Mikael McIntosh, 20, sat on a sand berm and swapped combat tales. The marines said they had little trouble dispatching their foes, most of whom they characterized as ill-trained and cowardly. "We had a great day," Sergeant Schrumpf said. "We killed a lot of people.... We dropped a few civilians," Sergeant Schrumpf said, "but what do you do?" [In one incident], he recalled watching one of the women standing near the Iraqi soldier go down. "I'm sorry," the sergeant said. "But the chick was in the way."

Do you have proof of this terrible allegation? If not you should be banned from this forum for printing this insult.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 3 Apr, 2003 01:25 pm
Frolic

I just happen to have a can of Leuven to hand when I saw your advert.

Perc

We all want this war to end soon. I wish I could share your optimism (and Bush's - that its only a matter of 200 yards). But some say the real battle has yet to begin. Tariq Aziz when asked last year how Iraq could become a Vietnam without swamps and jungles said "our streets and buildings and houses will be our fortress and America's swamp".

Saddam in his address the other day told his forces to act independently if cut off from commanding officers. "Every man must be his own commander".

Bush seems to think he is going to walk into a large city of 6m people and arrest that naughty man Saddam. But no hostile city of that size has been captured since WW2, and certainly never with so few troops. UNLESS of course they change their ways and stop lobbing mortars and start preparing (in Wolfowitz's words) for that "explosion of joy" at their liberation.

We will know soon if Baghdad's liberation will be like Paris or Berlin, a sea of flowers or blood.

(And I'm frankly glad that our boys are tucked up safe in their fox holes around Basra, watching and waiting).
0 Replies