Here's A News Story I Really Don't Understand

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:31 am
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/04/26/liver.transplant.ap/index.html

It states in the article that the liver could of gone to a patient in greater need? This guy was dying of liver cancer.

Can someone please define the parameters of a patient in greater need of a liver than a person dying of liver cancer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 508 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:56 am
Quote:
Critics said Krampitz's transplant might have diverted a liver from a patient in greater need. Supporters argued that the family that donated the liver might not have donated anything at all without the media attention.

Anyone can be a Monday morning quarterback. From the billboard, I see that the liver transplant was given to a young man. To me, that is a greater need than an elderly person, who would not have as much potential for living a long time.

When scarce organs for transplants are eveluated, there are many parameters that are used to determine who will get the organ. One is whether the person would die without the transplant. Another is the age and general health of the person. Could that person sustain the operation, and the side effects of the possible rejection of the organ? As far as I know, if there were one liver, and two possible recipients, the one who was most critical, but had the best chance of surviving the operation, and otherwise general good health would be picked.

I think what you are hearing is sour grapes.
0 Replies

Don1

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:08 am
Re: Here's A News Story I Really Don't Understand
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/conditions/04/26/liver.transplant.ap/index.html

Can someone please define the parameters of a patient in greater need of a liver than a person dying of liver cancer?

If this man had been sixty, then there would have been people more deserving of help, since he looks from his photo to be twenty something I agree he was a perfect candidate for help.

In England we have an ex soccer player called George Best he was one of the true greats of all time, sadly he is a lifelong alcoholic, and last year at the age of about sixty he had a liver transplant and still continues to drink.

In my opinion THAT is a truly nauseating example of the rich going to the front of the queue.
0 Replies