Democrats...Don't Puss Out

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 05:05 am
The Republicans wouldn't..... Newt shut the whole damn Congress down if anyone recalls.

http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/04/25/senate.judges/index.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,137 • Replies: 46
No top replies

revel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
Yea, I know but as much as I hate to admit it, the dems don't have the likes of Newt in congress. We have a bunch of cowards or people no one listens to because they don't have any political backing.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 09:15 am
revel wrote:
Yea, I know but as much as I hate to admit it, the dems don't have the likes of Newt in congress. We have a bunch of cowards or people no one listens to because they don't have any political backing.

gotta start retraining you balls and spine at some point and this is a damn good time and place.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
Quote:

Wrongo. Reid will do it.

Press release from his office:

Quote:
As a matter of comity, the Minority in the Senate traditionally defers to the Majority in the setting of the agenda. If Bill Frist pulls the nuclear trigger, Democrats will show deference no longer.
Invoking a little-known Senate procedure called Rule XIV, last week Democrats put nine bills on the Senate calendar that seek to help America fulfill its promise.

If Republican's break the rules Democrats will use the rule to bring to the Senate floor an agenda that meets the needs of average Americans, such as lowering gas prices, reducing the cost of health care and helping veterans.

"Across the country, people are worried about things that matter to their families - the health of their loved ones, their child's performance in schools, and those sky high gas prices," said Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid. "But what is the number one priority for Senate Republicans? Doing away with the last check on one-party rule in Washington to allow President Bush, Senator Frist and Tom Delay to stack the courts with radical judges. If Republicans proceed to pull the trigger on the nuclear option, Democrats will respond by employing existing Senate rules to push forward our agenda for America."

Democrats have introduced bills that address America's real challenges. (Details attached)

1. Women's Health Care (S. 844). "The Prevention First Act of 2005" will reduce the number of unintended pregnancies and abortions by increasing funding for family planning and ending health insurance discrimination against women.

2. Veterans' Benefits (S. 845). "The Retired Pay Restoration Act of 2005" will assist disabled veterans who, under current law, must choose to either receive their retirement pay or disability compensation.

3. Fiscal Responsibility (S. 851). Democrats will move to restore fiscal discipline to government spending and extend the pay-as-you-go requirement.

4. Relief at the Pump (S. 847). Democrats plan to halt the diversion of oil from the markets to the strategic petroleum reserve. By releasing oil from the reserve through a swap program, the plan will bring down prices at the pump.

5. Education (S. 848). Democrats have a bill that will: strengthen head start and child care programs, improve elementary and secondary education, provide a roadmap for first generation and low-income college students, provide college tuition relief for students and their families, address the need for math, science and special education teachers, and make college affordable for all students.

6. Jobs (S. 846). Democrats will work in support of
legislation that guarantees overtime pay for workers and sets a fair minimum wage.

7. Energy Markets (S. 870). Democrats work to prevent Enron-style market manipulation of electricity.

8. Corporate Taxation (S. 872). Democrats make sure companies pay their fair share of taxes to the U.S. government instead of keeping profits overseas.

9. Standing with our troops (S. 11). Democrats believe that putting America's security first means standing up for our troops and their families

"Abusing power is not what the American people sent us to Washington to do. We need to address real priorities instead -- fight for relief at the gas pump, stronger schools and lower health care costs for America's families," said Senator Reid.

On Air America:

Quote:
They're great with names… On Social Security, they've been trying to call private accounts "personal accounts." They can talk about the constitutional option all they want. It's privatization, and it's the nuclear option. They created those terms, and they're going to wear them around their necks from now till Doomsday.

Reid is a fighter. It's important to note that the Dems are standing pretty firm together these days; noone's jumping lines on SS reform or the Fillibuster. In fact, the longer time goes on, the more REPUBLICANS have come around to the side of the Dems...

Reid and Dean are going to do great things in 2006. I remember watching the Democratic Response to the State of the Union and being completely overwhelmed by Reid; keep an eye on him.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
Talk about not knowing how to take a loss, you Dems are leading the way.

It only makes me sick that the Reps are not acting like a party that is in the majority. They keep acting like they are afraid of the Dems.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 10:49 am
Not knowing how to take a loss? Lol!

It seems to me that they are doing pretty well. The Republicans are having problems because... America doesn't support the ideas they are trying to put forth...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:11 am
Your post illustrates my point. You still think you are in the majority when you party got your butts kicked in the last election. Who holds a vast majority of the seats in both houses? That is right the Reps not the Dems. YOU DO NOT KNOW HOW TO TAKE A LOSS. YOU ARE LIVING IN DREAM LAND!

Just because the Dems are, being crybabies about people they do not like does not mean America supports them. Remember your party is the minority not the majority. That means the majority of Americans voted for the Rep party, not yours.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:17 am
Heh, the majority of VOTING MACHINES voted for your party, is as far as I'm willing to admit.

But, as for support? Have you read the latest numbers? I doubt it, or else you'd know that:

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way Bush is handling Social Security?
Approve Disapprove Unsure
4/21-24/05 31 64 5

---

Or perhaps

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 21-24, 2005. N=1,007 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way Bush is handling the situation in Iraq?

4/21-24/05 42 56 2

----

or maybe

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 21-24, 2005. N=1,007 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS.

"The Senate has confirmed 35 federal appeals court judges nominated by Bush, while Senate Democrats have blocked 10 others. Do you think the Senate Democrats are right or wrong to block these nominations?"
Right Wrong Both (vol.) Unsure
4/21-24/05 48 36 3 13

----

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 21-24, 2005. N=1,007 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3.

"Overall, do you think the federal judges in this country are too liberal, too conservative, or about right?"

Too
Liberal Too Con-
servative About
Right Unsure
% % % %
4/21-24/05
26 18 52 4

----

Just because you won the election doesn't mean that everything yer party wants to do, is going to get done. It's not a mandate to go crazy. Bushco. is going to get bit in the ass hard if things don't start changing soon.

How exactly would you recommend the Dems 'take a loss?' By rolling over and letting the Repubs get away with screwing our nation up? No way! They stand unified for what they believe in and wait for the Republicans to overstep their bounds, which, by the way, is exactly what is happening.

It must suck to support the majority party and watch them flounder around like they were the minority...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:18 am
The majority of Americans did not vote for the Republicans, Baldie.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:31 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Heh, the majority of VOTING MACHINES voted for your party, is as far as I'm willing to admit.

But, as for support? Have you read the latest numbers? I doubt it, or else you'd know that:

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way Bush is handling Social Security?
4/21-24/05 31 64 5

---

Or perhaps

"Do you approve or disapprove of the way Bush is handling the situation in Iraq?

4/21-24/05 42 56 2

----

or maybe

ABC News/Washington Post Poll. April 21-24, 2005. N=1,007 adults nationwide. MoE ± 3. Fieldwork by TNS.

"The Senate has confirmed 35 federal appeals court judges nominated by Bush, while Senate Democrats have blocked 10 others. Do you think the Senate Democrats are right or wrong to block these nominations?"
Right Wrong Both (vol.) Unsure
4/21-24/05 48 36 3 13

----

"Overall, do you think the federal judges in this country are too liberal, too conservative, or about right?"

Too
Liberal Too Con-
servative About
Right Unsure
% % % %
4/21-24/05
26 18 52 4

----

Just because you won the election doesn't mean that everything yer party wants to do, is going to get done. It's not a mandate to go crazy. Bushco. is going to get bit in the ass hard if things don't start changing soon.

How exactly would you recommend the Dems 'take a loss?' By rolling over and letting the Repubs get away with screwing our nation up? No way! They stand unified for what they believe in and wait for the Republicans to overstep their bounds, which, by the way, is exactly what is happening.

It must suck to support the majority party and watch them flounder around like they were the minority...

Cycloptichorn

To bad, the wording of questions is slanted. With a question like the one about the judges, it's no wonder the public doesn't know what is going on. Why don't they ask the question more to the point of "With no other President having their Appeals courts nominations blocked in history do you think Bush should get his voted on?" Or how about this one "Do you find a filibuster to be Unconstitutional?" Try this one "In 30 year do you want to receive the same amount of money as your Grandmother or do you want more?"

Polls such as this always depend on the wording of the question. These are slanted and don't contain all of the information that is needed to make a full answer.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 11:50 am
You're telling me that asking if people approve or disapprove is slanted?

Straight-up approval questions are slanted?

How exactly SHOULD the questions be asked?

Face it, yer party is self-destructing. Americans aren't supporting the things you are trying to do, and it's not just Democrats. This 'you can't trust the polls' crap is ridiculous.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:16 pm
Quote:
To bad, the wording of questions is slanted. With a question like the one about the judges, it's no wonder the public doesn't know what is going on. Why don't they ask the question more to the point of "With no other President having their Appeals courts nominations blocked in history do you think Bush should get his voted on?" Or how about this one "Do you find a filibuster to be Unconstitutional?" Try this one "In 30 year do you want to receive the same amount of money as your Grandmother or do you want more?"

Wow! I thought the initial questions were fairly balanced. What you proposed was radically skewed. Were you trying satire? I don't think you can say the Republicans are not acting like they have the majority. They are crafting and passing legislation without consulting the minority party and dealing harshly with those who don't toe the line in their own party. That is standard majority politics. If they were afraid to act or insisting on bipartisan support, then you might have a point. That's clearly not the case here. Bush won in 2004 on defense. That is where his mandate is. On those other issues, I agree the Republicans are overstepping. On judges, it is pretty pathetic if you can't find a candidate that can get 60 votes. Have you looked at the bios on the rejected canidates? I can't understand why Republicans would vote for them. Filibuster unconstitutional? Been there since the beginning and used effectively by Republicans in the minority. Social security plan? The Bush plan makes some pretty rosy assumptions about growth, but makes some definite statements about benefit reduction. You might get less than Grandma and using more realistic assumptions you are likely to get less, but no one talks about that.

Thirty years ago, Republicans were pro-defense, pro-business growth, anti-deficit spending, anti-foriegn wars, social moderates. That is the Republican party I joined. What's going on now doesn't look very Republican to me.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:26 pm
clyop, it seems like we have got fired up in the past, during the whole dean craze, and then just settled into loosing before we ever lost the election. I mean, I know I have felt like there is no point when they keep winning by hook or crook time after time.

But it would be really nice to be proven wrong and if the democrats in congress actually do stick to their guns no matter what is said of them like stubborn mules then maybe we have a chance of slowing things down a little until the next election before this President messes things up more than be fixed in our generation.

But will they be able to withstand the slurs and insults and other assaults?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:35 pm
Wouldn't be any fun if we already knew, would it?

One of the things that I like about the current situation is it seems that the Dems are biding their time and letting the Republicans make fools out of themseleves all they want, without letting any significant legislation or nominations get through. Then, when the right moment comes, ya strike the iron.

Picking up some seats in 2006 is quite do-able if things keep going the way they are going.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:14 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Wouldn't be any fun if we already knew, would it?

One of the things that I like about the current situation is it seems that the Dems are biding their time and letting the Republicans make fools out of themseleves all they want, without letting any significant legislation or nominations get through. Then, when the right moment comes, ya strike the iron.

Picking up some seats in 2006 is quite do-able if things keep going the way they are going.

Cycloptichorn

The democrats in power right now are good at bidding their time and working within the system to try and get done what we want. It is when the pressure gets going that we seem to back down because we don't want to be seen as "angry" and being influenced by Micheal Moore and the like or "obstructionist."

Hilliary seems to fight by becoming more republican every day, unless I am just missing a lot.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 05:59 am
I think the Democrats are playing this one right (for a change). This is a battle for public opinion that will be waged in the media. If the Republicans are seen as responsible for what happends, the Democrats win.

This news cycle was perfect for the Democrats. The Dems offer a compromise (on the front pages) and the Republicans refuse it (on the front pages). Not only that, the link between radical Christianity and the anti-fillibuster movement is being made very public. This couldn't be better for the Dems.

I think the Dems have the advantage in the battle for public opinion. The issue is called the "nuclear option" which is pretty good considering the Republicans are usually good at defining terminology that favors their position.

So the Dems are doing fine. It is very smart that they are being seen offering public compromise.

They are making their case and waiting for the Republicans to "pull the trigger". Of course the Republicans don't see it as "pulling the trigger" but the public will and thats all that counts.

All this is happening with the wonderful buffoonery of Delay and Bolton-- two gifts for the Dems they couldn't be happier for.

Of course there is also the possibility that a handful of Republicans won't have the stomach to support the "nuclear option". This might be the best outcome for everyone.

One advantage to being a minority is that you get to play the role of David against the majority Goliath. There are quite a few nice smooth stones in their pouch.

I am feeling very good about this.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 06:36 am
I've seen several headlines stating the GOP has asked the Dems to help with ideas about Soc Sec, and the Dems efuse a bipartisan effort...

The stories coming out about the Dems using everything as a political battering ram, rather than doing what they get paid for is backfiring on them.

Nothing is about public good--everything is politics.

Tough man Reid...? Don't think you'll sell that one.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 07:30 am
We will see lash...

Does anyone really believe that politics (or congress for that matter) has anything to do with "public good"?

I think we will see the Repubs back down on this one... you can tell me how right I was in a couple of weeks.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 08:32 am
Lash,

Why don'tcha link to some of those stories for us? I have no doubt they are from the usual foamingly rabid winger places... The idea the Dems have not proposed any ideas at all for SS is ludicrous. They just aren't going along with the Bushco privatization plan.

And it isn't backfiring. A large majority of the country supports what the Dems are doing. I'd be more than happy to link to weeks worth of poll data to support this if you like.

The truth is that the Dems are standing firm together for the first time in a long time, and the Repubs are left looking like fools, as they can't even get their own members of Congress to agree on the Pres' plan.

It doesn't really matter if you think Reid is a tough guy or not; as ebrown said, you'll change your tune soon enough as he keeps manhandling your side in the Senate.

Quote:
Of course there is also the possibility that a handful of Republicans won't have the stomach to support the "nuclear option". This might be the best outcome for everyone.

This is exactly the case. If the Republicans had the votes to do the 'nuclear option,' they would have done it already. The more time goes by, the better it plays into the hands of the Dems.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 27 Apr, 2005 10:07 am
I guess now all is left is but to wait and see how it unfolds in the public.
0 Replies