using "well" and "good"

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:30 pm
i'm learning another language right now and not knowing when to use "well" vs "good" in my native languge is kind of screwing up the learning process as i'm just saying "good" for everything when i'm using the 2nd language.

so my question is:
when do you use well and when do you use good?

i think well applies to people, i.e. "i feel well today." that kind of sounds weird though... anyway, any help would be nice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 781 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:49 pm
It is all well and good for you to make these distinctions, but I think most people use them as synonyms.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 04:57 pm
Quote:
It is all well and good for you to make these distinctions, but I think most people use them as synonyms.

What do you mean by this, Acquinck? Surely you understand the differentiation. Perhaps by 'most people' you refer to most people of the world, because other languages may not make the distinction?

Regardless, in English, there surely is a distinction. There is a large percentage of native English speakers who use them improperly, but that doesn't make it proper and is not an excuse to use them improperly!

Good is an adjective, and well is an adverb.

This means they don't fit in the same places in a sentence. An adjective modifies (or, if you will, it describes) a noun, whereas an adverb modifies a verb.

Examples:
I am good.
My pencil is good.
I drive well.
My pencil writes well.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:17 pm
Here's one to stick in your memory.

We sent missionaries to Hawaii to do good, and they did very well indeed.
0 Replies

syntinen

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 06:39 am
I think you guys are over-simplifying here. Both these words have more than one grammatical function.

Well as in "I did well" is an adverb, but well as in "I feel well" is an adjective meaning "healthy"- the antonym of "ill".

Good as in "I am good" is an adjective, but good as in "I do good" is a noun.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 07:29 am
Acq's post is amusing. There is a tradition of superfluous iteration in English, which in fact stretches back to Anglo-Saxon. It is used as intensifier: " . . . it is well and good that it should be so . . ." " . . . it is fitting and proper that this be instituted . . . "

Good one, Acq
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 01:45 pm
To my utter dismay, the British youth seem to be combining both words whenever the opportunity arises.

"Did you see Manchester United play last night? They were well good."

I am considering emigration.
0 Replies