What Are You Paying for Gas?

hamburger

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:17 pm
piffka wrote : "With our vote we've encouraged our state to continue phasing in 6.5 cents more tax per gallon by 2008. "

i notice that you have cut back on the size of your avatar, that must represent a considerable saving to you. hbg
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:28 pm
Hah! One candle power, yes! Quite a savings.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:32 pm
Calamity Jane wrote:
On a crusade gustav?

No, Jane. Just having a little fun with you.

You're a pretty sharp bird.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:40 pm
I'm glad to hear that gustav. Fun I can take - always!!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 01:54 pm
this morning it's CAN 79.9 cents/liter, definetely going down.
just so you don't get too comfortable : a cold wave has been forecast and i notice that the price for natural gas is going up. as a matter of fact, the price for natural gas has risen much more sharply than the price for gasoline (we've got plenty of natural gas in canada; it's for sale at the right price). hbg
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Sun 13 Nov, 2005 05:48 pm
Costco here in west Michigan is 20-cents below the Meijer acrosst the street, at about $2.07. Meijer must be pretty confused by this.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:10 pm
Gas in central Virginia coninues to drift downward. Yesterday I paid $2.06 at Hess. If I use my Hess credit card (which I only use for gas and always pay promptly) I get a 5% rebate on each month's gas purchases.
So that's worth about 10c a gallon; bringing my cost down to $1.95 and Hess is always the cheapest or perhaps a penny or two more than anyone else.

Changing (I call it broadening) the topic: I got my electric bill from Dominion Power yesterday. It came with a little newsletter, which I astually read. One of the articles was entitled "Electric Rates To Remain Unchanged."
The electric utility industry is gradually going through a deregulation process. Johnboy happens to have been following the whole concept since it began several years ago. It's a bit cumbersome to explain, and to understand, but the eventual result will be that a power plant in, say Texas, could come to Johnboy and the 499 other businesses who are in my area and in my pool of 500 and bid to produce power for us at so much per kilowatthour (kwh). Other utililities could also bid.

Anyway, in anticipation of this evolving, my electric bill is now broken down into two parts: Supply and Distribution. Supply is the cost involved in producing the electricity, including the fuel (coal, natural gas, nuclear etc). Distribution is the cost of getting the power from the generators to my house or business through the lines stretched between poles.

Dominion Power is eager to get this deregulation going and agreed with our state regulators to do this: Through 2010. my monthly Distribution charge will a flat fee of about $11.00 plus a charge per kwh of 6 cents. Those rates are locked in through 2010. My monthly Supply charge is locked in at set rates through 2006 and 2007 with a couple of cents per kwh going to pay for the cost of the generation plant and a couple of more cents going for the fuel. Again those rates are set for the next two years. Regardless of what happens to the price of coal or natural gas, we will not see any increase in that component for two years.

It may sound like mere pennies but I have about 50,000 square feet of office space and retail space I occupy. Our monthly electric bill is over $2000 and we could have been hit with about a 15% increase per month based just on the fuel factor.

So there. Now you may know more than you did five minutes ago about electric utility deregulation.

Back to the price of gas at the pump in...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sat 19 Nov, 2005 02:19 pm
$1.90 today.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:03 am
Paid $2.17 Friday. If I'd bought into Citgo's cash card scheme, it would have been $2.09.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 01:32 am
Last time I looked, petrol in Melbourne, Oz was down around $1:11 a litre. This was definitely an amazing improvement on the last month & a bit! Now, if some mathematical genius is able to convert litres to US gallons & work out the value of the Oz vs US dollars, I might be able to figure out how we're actually doing here! No, I'm not blonde, but this sort of stuff just makes my head spin! I feel dizzy from just having written this!Razz
0 Replies

wvydvy

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 05:58 pm
unleaded regular in Amarillo tx, 2.14/gal.
0 Replies

LionTamerX

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2005 06:21 pm
$2.05/gallon in Raleigh, NC.
0 Replies