This Is The Craziest Thing I've Read Lately

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:53 pm
This has nothing to do with politics in my mind, but everything to do with what an out of control screwed up place we've become. This is not where I grew up.

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2005/04/23/auburn_man_ordered_to_pay_support_for_child_thats_not_his?mode=PF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 744 • Replies: 14
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:57 pm
Eh, bureaucracy has been mucking things up for as long as it's existed -- and that's a long time.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:58 pm
Not to the extent it's taking place lately IMO
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:00 pm
Sure it has.

I mean it sucks, don't get me wrong. But bureaucracy has sucked forever and ever.

One of our historians can weigh in on that more authoritatively. I have vague ideas about Dickens and Thomas Nash/ Nast (?) (cartoonist) that I can try to follow up on if you really want me to.

Humans, as a species, are dumb. Nothing new.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:05 pm
I agree, BVT. I have never seen such crap that is coming at us from all directions. If it weren't so ridiculous, I would say it was planned, but then maybe it is a sorta smoke screen.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:08 pm
Hey, Soz. It was Thomas Nast's cartoons who helped to bring down Boss Tweed.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:09 pm
I think the fact that we know about this kind of thing is more about the information overload (internet especially) than that it never happened before.

I think there is PLENTY wrong with the world, and PLENTY that this administration is messing up, and PLENTY to be upset about. But this, as awful as it is, is a side effect of bureaucracy. And bureacracy has a long and ignoble history of bumbling.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
Yep, Letty, that's along the lines of what I was thinking of, thanks.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:16 pm
I'm following soz on this. The information overload makes it seem as if we're 2 steps from doom. It's an illusion.
My mother used to complain that the world is going to hell in a handbasket. I told her to stop reading and watching the news.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:18 pm
It's all Bush's fault. Yep.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:26 pm
No tyranny is so irksome as petty tyranny: the officious demands of policemen, government clerks, and electromechanical gadgets.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:29 pm
cjhsa wrote:
It's all Bush's fault. Yep.

How is it all Bush's fault? Surprised to hear you say that.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:40 pm
sarcasm is cj's long suit
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 01:42 pm
Um, this sorta thing has been going on for a long time ... just doesn't make the papers that often. Lots of men assume the role of father, and the associated obligations to pay support under court order, even though they aren't the biological father. Happens pretty frequently actually.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 02:01 pm
I was just surprised that someone mentioned the current administration in this thread, as if Bush had anything to do with this.
0 Replies