relationship ending. problem.

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 01:02 pm
Hi. I'm jessica. im a senior in highschool. i will be leaving for college on september 18. my boyfriend and i have been together 3 years and (we like to think) our relationship is more mature and pure than those of other people our age. he isnt coming with me. so we decided just to break up when i leave. im really not sure that we should even try for a long-distance thing. it doesnt make much sense. but the idea that i will end up leaving him is so sad. any advice or related stories?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 530 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 02:37 pm
College is very different from high school. You are growing and developing as a mature human being. What you want in a mate may just be very different from what you wanted as a boyfriend.

Enjoy your new life. If your boyfriend is right for you, you WILL get together. I would suggest though, that you keep in touch, but don't make any committments. It's a big, wide world out there, and you need to experience a lot of different relationships, before you are ready to finally settle down. Don't deprive yourself of those experiences.

Here's my great story. I knew a couple who had gone together since 8th grade. They split up in their senior year, and then they went to college in different parts of the country. Some years later, when they were both back home, they ran into one another. The last that I heard, they were married.
0 Replies

Bekaboo

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 09:10 am
I think you guys have made the right decision. I'm the same age, and up until earlier this year i would've been able to say exactly the same thing. We were best friends, we were practically (and for a while during exams literally) living together. But when you go to college you will grow up and change more than any other time in your life. It's not like you're saying you don't mean that much to each other - but by the time you leave college you will be a different person. If the bit of you that loves each other hasnt changed then cool you can try again after college. But no matter how sad it makes you, you're saving yourself a lot of heartache this way
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 10:26 am
I did this very same thing... left my boyfriend of almost 3 years when I went to college.

I knew he had no interest in college and planned to spend his life in my high-school town. I knew I'd never return there after college (and I didn't).

I cared for him deeply and we were very good friends, but I just knew I'd be growing and he would not.

You'll miss him, I think, but my guess is you wouldn't be thinking of breaking up unless you already knew it's the right thing to do.

College is great fun, and you'll be meeting many interesting new people. Enjoy!
0 Replies

lovesong

Reply Tue 26 Apr, 2005 08:14 am
thanks you guys; it's good to have my decision reinforced. Smile
0 Replies