Could anybody give me a help please

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 02:18 am
What is the meaning of the following phrase / expression and under which circumstance could it be used.

1) He's the man / you're the man

2) There comes a time....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 546 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Nietzsche

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 05:15 am
1) In both contexts the emphasis is on the object. The individual is "the man" because of a random reason; usually becuase they've done something significant or positive: "nice job, you're the man!"

2) "There comes a time" is usually a proverbial preface; "There comes a time when..." usually begins a sentence where what follows is a proverb.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 24 Apr, 2005 05:30 am
Quote:
There comes a time" is usually a proverbial preface; "There comes a time when..." usually begins a sentence where what follows is a proverb

That is only one use of the phrase. Another would be when a person is describing a milestone, stage of life, or when something is "supposed" to happen.

"There comes a time, when a teenager has to think about what he is going to do in the future"

"There comes a time, when I cannot ignore the mess in my closet. I must straighten it out, today".

"There comes a time, when a person looks in the mirror, and realizes that he is not young any more."
0 Replies

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 03:55 am
thank you all very much

Razz Razz
0 Replies