If you can't master English, try Globish

ehBeth

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:29 am
hamburger's dad was a great proponent of Esperanto, so I'm indoctrinated to be interested in articles like this

If you can't master English, try Globish ... link

Quote:

It happens all the time: during an airport delay the man to the left, a Korean perhaps, starts talking to the man opposite, who might be Colombian, and soon they are chatting away in what seems to be English. But the native English speaker sitting between them cannot understand a word.

They don't know it, but the Korean and the Colombian are speaking Globish, the latest addition to the 6,800 languages that are said to be spoken across the world. Not that its inventor, Jean-Paul Nerrière, considers it a proper language.

"It is not a language, it is a tool," he says. "A language is the vehicle of a culture. Globish doesn't want to be that at all. It is a means of communication."

Aren't the French crazy? :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,496 • Replies: 4
No top replies

navigator

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 07:49 am
So, let's do it. Who is gonna start rolling the ball ? Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 05:21 pm
hmmmm

Now if we had a basic Dictionary ...

I wonder if I can find one in New York. Will poke around and see what I can find.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 05:52 pm
Globish uses a simplified pronunciation guide spelling which merges many of the vowels of English speech. People speaking this spelling dialect could be understood by other English speakers but their pronunciation would be considered a little off.

Globish yuzaz a simplifaid pranansiashan gaid speling wich marjaz meny av tha vaeulz av Inglish spich. Pipal spiking dhis speling dialect cud bi andarstud bai adhar Inglish spikarz bat der pranansiashan wud bi cansidard a litl auf.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 22 Jul, 2009 11:36 pm
Paraphrasing ehBeth in another context, I speak Globish like a native.
0 Replies