Blair Blasts Mr. Bean

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 10:36 am
Apr 21, 2005

Blair Blasts Mr. Bean Over Comments In Article
By MARK HOLAN
[email protected]

UK - Prime Minister Tony Blair suggested Wednesday that Parliment Administrator Mr. Bean should be fired for comments he described as ``a clear affront'' to the Parliment's leadership and authority.
``If a vote were held today, I would vote to terminate [Mr. Bean's] contract,'' Blair said, reading from a prepared statement at the end of Wednesday's regular floor meeting.

Several Ministers had already left the meeting, and none of those who remained backed his suggestion that Mr. Bean be ousted.

Blair criticized Mr. Bean's relationship with Great Brittan's History Center and comments he made in Sunday's Sun for an article that detailed Blair's campaign contributions from the health care industry.

The newly elected Minister wants to privatize the UK's cash-strapped indigent health care plan, which Mr. Bean helped create. Blair collected $6,600 in contributions during his 2004 Special Fundraiser from companies that list health care management or health care as their line of work. UK's Health Insurance's and its subsidiaries gave 10 contributions totaling $5,000.

Comments Disputed

Mr. Bean told the Sun that contributions are part of the political process and can get in the way of making sound decisions.

``I would hope before a Minister makes any final decision that could have significant policy implications for a number of folks in this community, they be well-informed and well-educated and not let their thinking ... be influenced solely by campaign contributions,''Mr. Bean said.

After being blindsided by Blair's remarks, Mr. Bean suggested his comments in the article were taken out of context.

``I wish it had been clear what I said was of a general nature,'' he said.

Mr. Bean also said it would not have been truthful for him to say politicians are never influenced by campaign contributions.

In response to Mr. Bean's comments regarding the Sun article, Ken Koehn, a Sun senior editor, said: ``We believe the quote was accurate and in proper context. We stand by the story.''

Blair denies that health care contributions to his campaign, about 4 percent of his election total, have influenced his desire to privatize the UK's indigent health care plan.

``That plan is his baby, and it's turned into a black hole,'' Blair said after the meeting.

He said ``numerous other officials'' told him Mr. Bean's comments were out of line, but he refused to name them.

Blair also said Bean's membership dues to the history center and the Parliment membership of Lord Wally Hill are ``a real conflict of interest.''

Parliment Ministers have pledged $17 million to build a home for the history center, which is inside Great Brittan's Convention Center. The UK is providing parkland fronting the English Channel for the building, and private backers are collecting pledges for an operating endowment.

Mr. Bean said he didn't recall his contribution level to the center, which he compared to other civic memberships, such as the UK Cancer Society. he said Hill's role is important ``so we will know what's happening with our money.''

Blair said Mr. Bean has dodged repeated requests to provide a list of private donors to the project. Mr. Bean said Blair has been told several times the donor list of the nonprofit History Center trustees is not a public record.

Blair and Mr. Bean were to meet Monday for a regular briefing prior to the floor meeting. Blair said he was called away on other business and his staff informed Mr. Bean he wouldn't be available.

`A Clear Signal'

So why didn't the Minister call the administrator if he was bothered?

``he works for the Parliment. I don't work for him,'' Blair said.

Blair said he hoped his statements sent ``a clear signal to the administrator that if he wants to continue working in harmony with this Parliment member, there needs to be more accountability for our requests and more discretion in his comments related to Parliment policy, both privately and publicly.''

Mr. Bean said his relationship with Blair was ``professional'' prior be being caught off guard by his remarks Wednesday.

``Because he's so new to the job, I've had to explain a lot of things,'' he said.

Mr. Bean also said he believed he has the support of the other Parliment members.

``Put it this way,'' Minister Tom Scott said outside the Parliment chambers, giving a big hug to Mr. Bean. ``We love Pat.''

Reporter Mark Holan can be reached at 01 (555) 555-5555.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,036 • Replies: 1
No top replies

Can of Ham

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 08:19 pm
Twisted Evil Twisted Evil I don't like people that pick on Bean. They should fire Blair for being an antagonist, lying, war monger
0 Replies