Studying Too hard can lower Students Marks!!!!!!!!

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 12:26 pm
Hey peeeps......

Lets talk about this topic.Everyone should know...studying too well is a matter of succeeding or getting high marks.But it is not the case for some students! Rolling Eyes

Why and Why not? Idea
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,770 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Laeknir Scrat

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:34 pm
It's a typical case of negative marginal productivity.

Say you start studying and get 1 "ku" (knowledge unit) every minute. 15 minutes later, as you're getting deeply into the subject , your productivity raises to 1.5 "kus" per minute. One hour later, your productivity is still rising: at 2 kus per minute, and even more.

Two and a half hours have passed. You're starting to feel tired. Productivity is now back at 1 ku per minute again. Time to take a rest. But you don't. Hell, the exam is tomorrow.
After 3 hours, productivity is almost nil. You learn very very little for every extra minute sutudied.
And after 4 hours marginal productivity is negative. Your getting more and more confused as you "advance" in your study. This freaks you out, so you go back a few pages and "realize" you did not understand them (you did a couple of hours ago; now you don't), so you study even more, losing kus at an increasing rate (I'm talking second derivative here).

At the end, you studied 6 hours, and learned the same as if you had studied half an hour. Had you stopped after 2 hours, you'd be more relaxed, confident and with more kus in your brain.
Hell, but the exam is tomorrow!
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:48 pm
Kudos

It's like a martial art.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 01:51 pm
I didn't read anything past the first post because I figured it contained all the information I needed to know and I wouldn't remember anything from the next post any way.
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:03 pm
Quote:

Say you start studying and get 1 "ku" (knowledge unit) every minute. 15 minutes later, as you're getting deeply into the subject , your productivity raises to 1.5 "kus" per minute. One hour later, your productivity is still rising: at 2 kus per minute, and even more.

Two and a half hours have passed. You're starting to feel tired. Productivity is now back at 1 ku per minute again. Time to take a rest. But you don't. Hell, the exam is tomorrow.
After 3 hours, productivity is almost nil. You learn very very little for every extra minute sutudied.
And after 4 hours marginal productivity is negative. Your getting more and more confused as you "advance" in your study. This freaks you out, so you go back a few pages and "realize" you did not understand them (you did a couple of hours ago; now you don't), so you study even more, losing kus at an increasing rate (I'm talking second derivative here).

At the end, you studied 6 hours, and learned the same as if you had studied half an hour. Had you stopped after 2 hours, you'd be more relaxed, confident and with more kus in your brain.

Yea i agree about that...100%true

But i have choosen three subpoints:

Today's students are suffering for their lower marks, because they study hard, reducing of motivication and loosing self confidence!

This is the thesis of mine essay Rolling Eyes

Anyone have any supporting details for each subpoints why and how??
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:06 pm
This is your paper....what are your supporting details? This was never a discussion...it was a homework request. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:25 pm
First we assume the three subpoints are true and complete,
so now we must find any and all SUPPORTING details, ignoring everything else.

1) "suffering for their lower marks"
why? The more a student tries, the more they suffer.
how? Effort takes effort, so to make things easy we should take things easy. The logic is clear.

2) "because they study hard"
why? Studying is what students do, so suffering is inevitable untill we graduate.
how? Studying hard is harsh. Studying soft is the opposite, and therefore more desirable.

3) "reducing of motivication and loosing self confidence"
why? Hard study is disappointing because mistakes and struggle occur.
how? Each step we take is fraught with both success and failure. The variety wears us down.

The natural conclusion from the three subpoints is that we should
- take only the successful path
- explore only the things that we know about
- learn by making no mistakes

I hope some of these details will help to support
your specific three subpoints in some way.

Given the three assumptions, I think that's the best I can do.
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:48 pm
Hey code borg

You rock!!! Smile :wink:

thanks 4 the info
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 02:54 pm
Quote:
This is your paper....what are your supporting details? This was never a discussion...it was a homework request

Bella dea......Is it a matter to discuss a students homework.? it can be also a discussion...isn't it! Today's youth are suffering on it Rolling Eyes

This is not only mine homework but others can also learn from a experience aren't they? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:02 pm
Ajini@NL wrote:
Quote:
This is your paper....what are your supporting details? This was never a discussion...it was a homework request

Bella dea......Is it a matter to discuss a students homework.? it can be also a discussion...isn't it! Today's youth are suffering on it Rolling Eyes

This is not only mine homework but others can also learn from a experience aren't they? Rolling Eyes

No, it wasn't a discussion. You asked us to give you supporting details. Not whether or not we thought YOUR ideas were good, or if they needed tweaking. Or what our opinion was about your paper. That is a discussion. Where people exchange ideas. Not give each other ideas. You simply wanted details about 3 points. You wanted us to come up with the meat of your paper. I don't think that you will learn much from getting your answers from someone else.

And you might want to think about your grammer in this paper. It's not very good in your posts.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:20 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
No, it wasn't a discussion. You asked us to give you supporting details. Not whether or not we thought YOUR ideas were good, or if they needed tweaking. Or what our opinion was about your paper. That is a discussion. Where people exchange ideas. Not give each other ideas. You simply wanted details about 3 points. You wanted us to come up with the meat of your paper. I don't think that you will learn much from getting your answers from someone else.

And you might want to think about your grammer in this paper. It's not very good in your posts.

- incomplete sentences
- using 3 instead of "three"
- "grammer"? [sic]

Why so negative? Some people like hunting for meat,
and in the real world people go out and take the meat from someone else
all the time. It saves a lot of work and gets the job done more efficiently.

Is that bad practice?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:24 pm
I am not being negative. I am being honest. If you take all your knowledge from someone else, how can you think for yourself? That's a great way to look at life, by the way. Just steal from others. Don't bother thinking for yourself.

It surprises me that you say that because frankly, I think you post some pretty good stuff. I would have thought that you were a free thinker.

I think it's a problem to teach that the easy way out is ok. It might be easier but it isn't always the best.

Oh,
I apologize for the error. Thanks for catching that for me.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 03:29 pm
Re: Studying Too hard can lower Students Marks!!!!!!!!
CodeBorg,

Ajini@NL wrote:
Hey peeeps......

Lets talk about this topic.Everyone should know...studying too well is a matter of succeeding or getting high marks.But it is not the case for some students! Rolling Eyes

Why and Why not? Idea

Ajini@NL wrote:

You are nit picking my post over these posts?

Are you kidding?

Do you think that this writing is in any way acceptable?

At least you can read mine and it makes sense.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 04:31 pm
No, no, I certainly don't mean any offense, if that's what you mean,
and apologise if it was upsetting.

Quote:
If you take all your knowledge from someone else, how can you think for yourself?

I don't think it's an all-or-nothing situation. Taking some knowledge
from others, and being spoon-fed some answers, can be good practice.
Then, when facing an industry or business situation we can compete effectively.

At work, we do research all the time, and if we can find the answer given
to us for free by somebody else, that's a really good skill to have.
Study skills and research skills, and knowing where to go for quick answers
seem very valuable. Why make things harder than they need to be?

Quote:
I think it's a problem to teach that the easy way out is ok. It might be easier but it isn't always the best.

It seems like a good engineer (for instance) is basically lazy, always trying to find the
easiest and cheapest solution. Free information and free ideas ... are free.

Also, the idea of building ones own research based on the research
and input of others, is a pretty fundamental part of science.
Even when writing a newspaper article, I've heard you can't get it
published unless you reference at LEAST three sources.

That's a good example, right there. I got that information from a
journalist friend... not my idea... Does that make me a thief?

Quote:
Do you think that this writing is in any way acceptable?

At least you can read mine and it makes sense.

To hand you the answer, straight out?
I think any writing that communicates successfully ... is acceptable.
Both your writing styles actually did work.

Further, in this context, here on A2K it worked great.

The issue has many sides to it, . . . worth thinking about!
How do you think it SHOULD be?
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:32 pm
Excuse myself ppl
I just hatched at this forum.....
Quote:

Bella dea......
i dont know how old you are..but u seems to be smart...but me just turned 20 and been here in a english speaking country for just 5 years.I grew up 14 years in Holland.I am really thankful to mine parents to let me learn 5 languages.I dont wanne go deeply in to my subject.But consider a young tree, if a young tree doesn't have a roots the trees isn't going to be strong either.So am I.I am improving my grammer bit by bit.I have a hope in the future i am going to be strong tree.But that is not the case...
Please dont put people' mind low on public forum.Just try to help them on a friendly way.

Can't u see how badly i feel on my pic Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Wed 20 Apr, 2005 06:39 pm
Ajini@NL wrote:
Quote:

Yea i agree about that...100%true

But i have choosen three subpoints:

Today's students are suffering for their lower marks, because they study hard, reducing of motivication and loosing self confidence!

This is the thesis of mine essay Rolling Eyes

Anyone have any supporting details for each subpoints why and how??

I have a very true story to share.

A few years ago I decided to memorize my favorite book. I had nothing else to do with my free time, so I spent about 7 hours a day memorizing pages, and when I was busy I would be going over the pages in my head. Well, I ended up memorizing about 100 pages of the 500 page book, and something in my brain snapped. Ever since then I despise memorization. It gives me a headache, and worse still I can't stand reading. If it's required reading I simply cannot read for more than ten minutes at a time, and if it's a book I actually CHOOSE to read I can't read for more than half an hour. Because something in my brain just gave out.

I used to love reading, but now I can't stand it, which I think is tragic.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:46 am
Ajini@NL wrote:

Bella dea......
i dont know how old you are..but u seems to be smart...but me just turned 20 and been here in a english speaking country for just 5 years.I grew up 14 years in Holland.I am really thankful to mine parents to let me learn 5 languages.

Embarrassed Now I am embarrassed and must apologize. Not specifically for saying that you should work on your english (because you can improve) but because you know five languages and I know a measly one. You can improve your English but basically, I have to have respect for anyone who can speak five languages. In any way.

Ajini@NL wrote:

Please dont put people' mind low on public forum.Just try to help them on a friendly way.

I wasn't trying to "put you down". I was trying to make you understand my perspective on this. I say this to anyone who comes into this forum looking for someone to do their homework. Maybe you weren't looking for all the answers but some people are and it bothers me that people aren't willing to do the work. I guess I was just raised to believe that anything you get you should work for.

Again, please accept my apologies for coming across as nasty. If you read my other posts, you'll see I am not a mean person. Usually. When I am not being mean. :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:48 am
Ah thats ok belle dea......
I got ya Point.........no need for apologies:lol:
0 Replies

AjiniANL

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2005 06:53 am
Anyhow i finished my essay.It is a final due this week
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 25 Apr, 2005 06:33 pm