The Word Awful...

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 01:13 pm
A quick question, did the word Awful once mean "To be full of awe"? If so, how could a word change so much in meaning? If not, where does the word originate from?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 773 • Replies: 5
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 01:28 pm
Dunno. Another one is "terrific," root of which is shared with "terror." Go fig.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:32 pm
"Awe" does not mean wonderful though, the acutal definition is:

A mixed emotion of reverence, respect, dread, and wonder inspired by authority, genius, great beauty, sublimity, or might

It's one of those "fear and love" God type of things.

"Terrific" is defined as either very good or very bad. When someone says "I have a terrific headache" that aren't talking about a really wonderful and fun headache.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 04:57 pm
terrific, terrible. should be the same!
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:03 pm
Hey, Sly. Welcome to A2K.

The English language is an awesome thing and many folks often do it a terrible injustice.

Enfant terrible, is American English. Laughing
0 Replies

SlyEnemy

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:18 am
Thanks very much for the welcome Wink I love English and am constantly trying to compact more words into my forgetful Brain. In fact, I was the ONLY student in my College studying English Language. That's me and the Teacher. I didn't do very well, surprisingly, but that's because I was too busy not doing homework to pass my exams. Aaah, older and wiser now, I just bunk off work instead Wink
That was a joke if my boss reads this.
0 Replies