Would You Vaccinate Your Daughter Against VD?

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:32 pm
Quote:
Will cancer vaccine get to all women?
16 April 2005

DEATHS from cervical cancer could jump fourfold to a million a year by 2050, mainly in developing countries. This could be prevented by soon-to-be-approved vaccines against the virus that causes most cases of cervical cancer - but there are signs that opposition to the vaccines might lead to many preventable deaths.

The trouble is that the human papilloma virus (HPV) is sexually transmitted. So to prevent infection, girls will have to be vaccinated before they become sexually active, which could be a problem in many countries.

In the US, for instance, religious groups are gearing up to oppose vaccination, despite a survey showing 80 per cent of parents favour vaccinating their daughters. "Abstinence is the best way to prevent HPV," says Bridget Maher of the Family Research Council, a leading Christian lobby group that has made much of the fact that, because it can spread by skin contact, condoms are not as effective against HPV as they are against other viruses such as HIV.

"Giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful, because they may see it as a licence to engage in premarital sex," Maher claims, though it is arguable how many young women have even heard of the virus.

Meanwhile in developing countries, where 80 per cent of deaths from cervical cancer occur, social taboos may be even more powerful. The head of the Indian Council of Medical Research, N. K. Ganguly, says it will take a big educational effort to convince parents. Vaccinating men could be the best way to prevent the spread of HPV among women.

HPV is extremely common. Half of all sexually active women between 18 and 22 in the US are infected. Most cases clear up, but sometimes infection persists and can cause cancer decades later

Read The Rest HERE

Would you have your daughter or son vaccinated?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 4,962 • Replies: 34
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:35 pm
The sane answer that affirms that I would NOT would be what?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:37 pm
Absolutely!

If the religious right would only look objectively at the needless deaths their 'beliefs' cause worldwide, such as not letting condoms be distributed in African countries, they would, hopefully, fall down on their knees and beg forgiveness.

How many AIDS orphans will it take to wake up these arrogant, mindless people?

My rant for the night. Thank you Squinney.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:39 pm
Sure.

I mean if there aren't any side effects, why not?

Sure as heck wouldn't see it as license, just a just-in-case.

There was a really interesting article/ study a bit ago about "hot" and "cold" states and how different a single person can be in these two different states. Someone can pledge up the wazoo that they will or won't do something when they're in a cold state (neutral, nothing in particular going on), and mean it, but then in a hot state (not just the obvious in this context, anything that involves intense emotion/ fight or flight/ whatever) the brain is just a completely different thing.

So while I certainly trust my daughter and will when she's a teenager, I also would want to have whatever possible safeguards in place.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:40 pm
Yes I would!

Phrases like these
Quote:
"Giving the HPV vaccine to young women could be potentially harmful, because they may see it as a licence to engage in premarital sex," Maher claims

come from ignorant people, who rather close their eyes
instead of educating young people about sex and sexually
transmitted diseases.

Almost everyone engages in premarital sex these days, let's
make it a healthy experience.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:46 pm
I wouldn't have a problem vaccinating my daughter AND son. (Sorry, forgot that option in the survey)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:48 pm
and my border collie, shes a tramp
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:49 pm
Squinney--

Can you edit your poll to include "Daughter and son?

Sexually active young women don't get infected by dirty books or suggestive music.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 07:59 pm
Noddy - I looked and couldn't find a choice for editing the survey. (But, hey! I just figured out where people were getting these: Mr. Green Drunk 2 Cents Gee, have those been there all this time???)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:08 pm
If you can edit it to say "daughter AND son," you'll have another vote here.

I would, absolutely. Without a second's hesitation.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:10 pm
and border collie
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:15 pm
Squinney--

Perhaps the Mods would help? Have you tried punching "Report" on your first post and confessing--then pleading?

I'm a surviver of cervical cancer--and the chances are excellent that I was infected by the first Mr. Noddy who went tomcatting with a Woman With A Past.

Prevention should be asexual.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:42 pm
Yes I would Squinney, son, daughter, and border collie!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:45 pm
There have been a couple of reports of difficulty editing polls in the past week or so.

I'd vaccinate everyone I could jab.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:47 pm
Daughter and son.

I guess rape never happens to people who just say no, she says sardonically.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:48 pm
Hee hee hee...

<vivid image of ehBeth on a subway, squinting at her fellow-travelers, plotting, reaching around and >JAB!<, then looking exceedingly innocent as the jab-ee shrieks and accuses someone else...>
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 08:55 pm
Very Happy

<and Soz has never even been on the subway with me>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 16 Apr, 2005 09:11 pm
Answer -- Yes, as long as the person wielding the needle wasn't Bill Frist.

Did you hear that Senator Frist was talking in tongues on the Senate floor? That was the dinner table gossip last night.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 05:30 am
I'm not sure why anyone would associate this with promiscuity given that a future husband (or collie) might be a carrier. If they had a vaccine for all the other venereal diseases, I'd have both kids vaccinated as well.

Better that I do it than having some strange woman jab them on the subway, right?

Piffka - I'd love to see video of Frist doing THAT!!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 06:04 am
Knowing me, I would go to Google. I would read everything I could about the vaccine, and satisfy myself that it was safe. If I were convinced, I would certainly give the shot to my kids.
0 Replies