Frist Set to Use Religious Stage on Judicial Issue

kuvasz

Reply Sun 1 May, 2005 04:37 am
au1929 wrote:
The republicans and Bush are attempting to control the judiciary inorder that there be no legal obstacle to the passage of their agenda. That mirrors the action of the Nazi party in Germany does it not.

tony2481 wrote:
The difference being in America the ability of the people to change course. That is, unless the liberals take everyone's guns.

Lets deconstruct these passages and find out how well they conform to objective reality

Goldie is saying that the Nazis dismantled an independent judiciary to stop it from preventing the complete take-over of power by Hitler.

The recent remarks by Reps. Tom Delay, James Sensenbrenner, and others who have attacked the judiciary in this country on the floor of the House of Representatives are threatening to do just what Hitler and the Nazis did, i.e., prevent the judiciary from stopping executive and legislative actions found inconsistent with their respective constitutional obligations.

Regardless of the fact that judicial review of laws has been a foundation of the nation and its judicial system since 1803 and Marbury v. Madison, there are bills authored by far right wing house members now making their way thru Congress that would prevent the US judiciary from hearing cases based upon religious convictions.

And the so-called conservatives and the idiots who either are too stupid to read the US Constitution or idle away their time masturbating to right-wing propaganda on Faux News think this is just fine and dandy.

Its not. It is a stab at the heart of our democracy and it system of checks and balances.

But before we proceed further on to Tony's rather, shall we say, distorted remarks, recall:

"Political power grows out of the barrel of a gun."

Mao Tse Tung

Apparently, Tony is a Communist. After all, his remarks about guns being necessary for power parallels Mao's, and probably somewhere in his writings, Nietzsche's too.

But his remark on the ability of the nation to change course would be encumbered by liberals taking "everyone's" guns is utterly false on several levels.

First, the basis for such an argument rests on believing that open, armed insurrection of a portion of the population would be capable of stopping the formation of a dictatorship.

One has to assume of course, that armed citizens supporting the insurrection would be able to defeat the US military. That is not a very bright assumption to make, unless one has been watching "Red Dawn" more times than is good for a person.

Second, when will the right wing stop lying about liberals and gun control? The Democratic Party ran the most liberal presidential candidate in 30 years, and the guy not only personally killed several Commie bastards, but is also an avid gun owner.

So, Tony, you will have to provide a modicum of proof that liberals are trying to " take everyone's guns."

You said "everybody's," so you will have to prove that liberals want to take EVERYBODY'S guns.

Can you?

Actually you can't, because they aren't. And I know this, because I am a liberal and I own several firearms.

tony2481 wrote:
Why do people these days clump conservatives together as old testament extremest nasis, followed quickly by their comparison of christians to bin laden.

Why, you say? Let me help you out on it then.

First, your use of the term conservative is useless here, because no real conservative would be supporting the Bush budget deficits, or his invasive Patriot Act. Both are anathema to conservatives who find distasteful a government living beyond its means and who distrust concentrations of power in the government that cedes rights away from the citizenry.

So that which you call conservative is a misnomer. In fact, those folks are reactionaries who are quite willing to be radical in pursuit of power.

They certainly do have more in common with an Adolf Hitler than an H.A. Hayek.

Your dependent clause is also false. When some folk compare "Christians" to bin Laden, they are citing specific remarks made by small factions of the so-called fundamentalist Christian community who do not believe in a pluralistic society. No one is calling mainstream Christians terrorists, unlike those fundamentalist Christians, murderers and bombers Timothy Mcveigh and Eric Rudolph.

If you want further evidence for this just review the remarks made by the right wing preachers about the Schiavo case with that of the mainstream religious organizations. It is easy to see the similarities of the former group in their rhetoric of rigid adherence to dogma and divine purpose with that which are also found with the Taliban.

Worse, both want to use the power of the state to get non-believers in line with their own dogma.

So, that's why. If you don't like it, talk to your fundamentalist buddies and have them stop talking and acting like the Taliban

tony2481 wrote:
It is possible for a person to believe abortion to be wrong for reasons other than their preacher saying so, just as one would assume that some liberals do not believe culpability is determined by financial standing.

Just so you know, I think abortion is wrong and I did not come to that conclusion from listening to any child molesting priest. But a worse wrong is to deny a woman her right to do with her body as she and she alone sees fit. One would think any real conservative would be against the government intruding on the personal decisions a competent adult would make about their own body.

As to financial standing and culpability? Address what act is referenced before denying culpability by the wealthy and we can continue.
0 Replies

fribbley

Reply Mon 2 May, 2005 10:33 pm
au1929 wrote:
fribbley
This may have been your first post on this forum. Hopefully, before your next one you will have managed to pull your head out of your a$$hole.

The republicans and Bush are attempting to control the judiciary inorder that there be no legal obstacle to the passage of their agenda. That mirrors the action of the Nazi party in Germany does it not.

Elections have consequences. The Left doesn't have the will of the people as expressed at the polls on their side any longer. You're almost admitting that the courts are controlled by illiberal/Leftists, and that they are the last stronghold of tryanny of the appointed over the elected. Since the courts are the default arbiters of policy, let the Left suffer the reverses of over a century of juridically imposed collectivism. If I'm not mistaken, the Left still supports collectivism, does it not?
The fear on the Left is palpable, and while my initial post was perhaps incendiary, it's gratifying to see such invective and vituperation directed my way. It was there before I ever posted in the first place, but I just had to point out that those who sling around the N(azi) appellation as ascribed to American Christians-conservatives (which I myself am not) are woefully ill-informed, ignorant of history (past, recent, and present), and dripping with hypocrisy.
It amuses me to no end to see the moonbat-Left so hyperventilate over peoples' religious beliefs; I thought the Left was tolerant in all things...how judgmental and hateful and intolerant is the Left... politics is a science like economics i.e. not measureable, but it's my opinion that the American Left is falling for a trap of trying to equate observance of Christianity and Judaism with the Lefts' faith in governmental/collective power over the beliefs of the individual citizen.
The electorate didn't reject Leftist candidates such as Hanoi John because they are overly religious, they rejected the Democrat candidates because they are at best ambivalent about American security in the terrorist era. But it heartens me to see that Democrats first went with "Bush Cheated!" to "Christians are Nazis!"
Good Luck, NOT, with that.

Thanks for all the slurs and swearwords directed my way though, it rather re-enforces my opinion! I wouldn't be quite so certain that I'd achieved victory in this particular debate had I not seen all of the swearwords directed my way, but there is no doubt in my mind, I won this one.
"Liberals"/Leftists/Democrats are intolerant, collectivist, dripping with hate and condescension, and they've made the brutal mechanisms of government their god...as they've so often done before, with millions upon millions of souls on their "conscience"...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 12:45 am
fribbley wrote:
the will of the people as expressed at the polls

george w. bush approval rating 100 days into second term - 45%

ronald reagan approval rating 100 days into second term - 56%

william clinton approval rating 100 days into second term - 59%

yep. the will of the people as expressed at the polls. (or in the polls Laughing)

so i guess now we can all give fribbley a pat on the fuzzy little head and thank him for stopping by.

but please, let us not offend him or hurt his feelings by calling him a "dumb-head" or expressing any other slurs such as "moon-bat".
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:11 am
Oh boy, the return of fribbley

He is on work release again, I see.

fribbley wrote:
au1929 wrote:
fribbley
This may have been your first post on this forum. Hopefully, before your next one you will have managed to pull your head out of your a$$hole.

fribbley wrote:
Elections have consequences. The Left doesn't have the will of the people as expressed at the polls on their side any longer.

Well, first, you should learn to understand the difference between polls and elections. George Bush won an election in 2004 with 52% of the vote. Now he has less than 50% approval ratings. Shall we impeach him now? Or consider his administration illegitimate?

The "people" spoke in 2000, and Bush got less votes than Gore. Are you going to tell me that the Electoral College is the "will of the people?" Or is it clearly understood that "historically" the EC was designed as a breach work set up by the Founding Fathers to prevent democratic and popular opinion from having too much power in our Republic?

You do understand the differences between a democracy and a republic, do you not?

fribbley wrote:
You're almost admitting that the courts are controlled by illiberal/Leftists, and that they are the last stronghold of tryanny of the appointed over the elected

No one "almost admitted" anything. You must need glasses.

If you would be so kind to check your history. Over the last 25 years, a Democrat has held the White House for one-third of that time, and over that period most federal judicial appointments have been made by Republican presidents.

Seven of nine Supreme Court justices were nominate by a Republican presidnt. Just look it up.

According to your logic, you are attacking Republican administrations for packing the court system with liberals.

Are you aware of that?

fribbley wrote:
Since the courts are the default arbiters of policy, let the Left suffer the reverses of over a century of juridically imposed collectivism

No, you are quite wrong. The Judiciary is not an arbiter of policy. It is an arbiter of whether or not laws passed also pass constitutional muster. The only way policy is an issue is if it is constitutional. There is a profound difference, even if you want, for ideological purposes, to smear the two ideas together.

Judicial imposed "collectivism" means what? Please enlighten us to specific cases in the federal courts of such. I want specifics, so please present them and illustrate how they are collective.

fribbley wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Left still supports collectivism, does it not?

You are mistaken, about this and much more. What is your working definition of collectivism? Is it akin to Stalin's removal of the Kulaks from central and southern Russia or is it the institution of the military draft by Lincoln (another Republican) or perhaps you mean the 16th amendment, passed under another Republican administration (Taft's), the Social Security act of 1937, the Highway Act of 1956, Civil Rights Act of 1965. Just what are you going to reference as "collectivist acts of government?"

Do you even understand the purpose of government?

Here's a clue for you, since you do not seem to understand the purpose of "collective" action, viz., popular forms of government as expressed by forms of governments called democracies and constitutional republics. Tattoo this to you inner eyelids so you remember it.

"CLASSICAL POLITICAL THOUGHT SAYS THAT THE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT IS TO DO JUSTICE FOR ITS CITIZENS. PART OF THIS OBLIGATION IS TO FOSTER CONDITIONS IN WHICH WEALTH IS PRODUCED. THE OBLIGATION IS NOT MET BY SUBSTITUTING THE WEALTH-PRODUCER FOR THE GOVERNMENT.

Your hero, however does not seem to understand that, by example stating that "Government doesn't create wealth," Mr. Bush said. "The role of government is to create the kind of conditions where risk-takers and entrepreneurs can invest and grow and hire new workers."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/09/politics/campaigns/09CND-BUSH.html?hp

All fine and good as far as it goes, and while the normal and proper aim of the corporate community is to make money for its managers and for the owners of business all the better if its members also contribute to the general prosperity. However, business acts on the prevailing business philosophy, which claims that corporate self-interest eventually produces the general interest. This comfortable belief rests on misinterpretation of the theory of market rationality proposed by Adam Smith.

He would have found the market primitivism of the current day unrecognizable. He saw the necessity for public intervention to create or sustain the public interest, and took for granted the existence of a government responsible to the community as a whole, providing the structure within which the economy.

fribbley wrote:
The fear on the Left is palpable, and while my initial post was perhaps incendiary, it's gratifying to see such invective and vituperation directed my way.

I assume you enjoy farting in a crowded elevator for the gratification of responses as well.

fribbley wrote:
It was there before I ever posted in the first place, but I just had to point out that those who sling around the N(azi) appellation as ascribed to American Christians-conservatives (which I myself am not) are woefully ill-informed, ignorant of history (past, recent, and present), and dripping with hypocrisy.

It appears that it is you who are woefully uninformed from spending your waking hours masturbating at Freeperland or Luciane's web site.

But I note that you failed to reply to anything I stated that was historically based, "past, recent and present " that delineates the connections in process and rhetoric that makes German fascism akin to right wing American reactionary conservatism.

Why is that?

Surely a self-assured Brainiac such as yourself, so full of historical understanding of political theory and fact can mount a defense to your positions.

fribbley wrote:
It amuses me to no end to see the moonbat-Left so hyperventilate over peoples' religious beliefs; I thought the Left was tolerant in all things...how judgmental and hateful and intolerant is the Left.

You can not have it both ways, in one case criticizing the Left its support of judicial decisions that promote tolerance for, example say homosexual, religious, and minority rights while at the same time criticizing it for intolerance.

You can't play that way.

fribbley wrote:
politics is a science like economics i.e. not measureable,

Actually economics is a measurable science. Perhaps you just mis-typed.

fribbley wrote:
but it's my opinion that the American Left is falling for a trap of trying to equate observance of Christianity and Judaism with the Lefts' faith in governmental/collective power over the beliefs of the individual citizen.

Nope and you ought to provide verification based upon real events before you make such claims. You should note that no one on the Left is critical of anyone's religious beliefs, nor opposes anyone from practicing their religion. What you do find is a concern that people are attempting to codify such religious beliefs in secular society by government through laws.

fribbley wrote:
The electorate didn't reject Leftist candidates such as Hanoi John ….

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for attacking a wounded in action Viet Nam veteran who enlisted, while your heroes George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Tom Delay hid out. Kerry asked for combat duty, killed communists, and won medals for bravery. Bush got drunk, impregnated a woman and paid for her abortion (when it was not yet legal). Equating Kerry with Jane Fonda does not conform to objective reality. And such slurs are disgraceful both for their historical inaccuracies and for their slanderous intent.

Have you no shame at all?

And I have dog in this fight because my uncle was killed in Viet Nam while that worthless puke you admire was off snorting cocaine and smoking pot.

fribbley wrote:
…..because they are overly religious, they rejected the Democrat candidates because they are at best ambivalent about American security in the terrorist era. But it heartens me to see that Democrats first went with "Bush Cheated!" to "Christians are Nazis!" Good Luck, NOT, with that.

Hard to imagine you calling a man who enlists in the Navy and a wounded combat veteran one who does not care for the defense of the nation while you support a man who went AWOL.

You got any medals for bravery or are you simply another fat-ass member of the 101st fighting keyboard battalion typing from his mama's basement?

As to terrorism, the worst terrorist attack this nation has seen was on George Bush's watch and it is abundantly clear from a review of the facts that he refused to take seriously the intelligence community's concerns about al Quida before the WTC and Pentagon attacks.

I guess you think that had you been president and your national security advisor gave you a report entitled "bin Laden determined to attack inside the US" you would have stayed on vacation too.

The next worst attack? A right wing, fundamentalist Christian, Tim McVeigh. So much for concerns about that group.

fribbley wrote:
Thanks for all the slurs and swearwords directed my way though, it rather re-enforces my opinion! I wouldn't be quite so certain that I'd achieved victory in this particular debate had I not seen all of the swearwords directed my way, but there is no doubt in my mind, I won this one.

It is typical with freepers, yet hard to understand how you think you won anything here other than the reprobation of thinking people on this site from either the Right or Left with your distortions of history, lies, and slanders.

fribbley wrote:
"Liberals"/Leftists/Democrats are intolerant, collectivist, dripping with hate and condescension, and they've made the brutal mechanisms of government their god...as they've so often done before, with millions upon millions of souls on their "conscience"...

Personally, I can tolerate a lot. What I will not tolerate is remarks in debates that are downright dishonest, and yours are that.

Who the hell is making government a god? You are not about to get away with that kind of nonsense, and you had better back up those remarks with facts and not simply uninformed "opinions."

Those millions and millions of people who were killed by fascism and communism were killed by ideologues from both ends of the political spectrum who dismissed the facts and instead marched forward thinking they had absolute certainty.

That is exactly the sprit of your post.

And fascism and communism were defeated by Western liberals and conservatives alike. I lost family members in WWII fighting fascism and have family that was wounded or died fighting communism, so piss off with your remarks.

As I stated earlier when you popped up on-site with your mindless drivel;

WHEN THE RIGHT ACCUSES LIBERALS OF "FASCISM," IT ALMOST ALWAYS DOES SO IN AN EFFORT TO OBSCURE ITS OWN FASCIST PROCLIVITIES -- AND IT REMINDS THE REST OF US JUST WHOSE FOOTSOLDIERS ARE IN REALITY MERRILY GOOSESTEPPING DOWN THE NATIONAL GARDEN PATH.

Finally Mr Freeper, I note that you cowardly failed to take up the challenge I offered, and instead continued with your hit and run ignorant rant about Leftists.

Why is it that freeper folks like you are incapable of intelligent discussion yet parade about thumping their chests and boast how you bested others without even offering a modicum of evidence.

Sport, you couldn't even beat up your fu@king shadow.

Again, this is the challenge to you:

"Start a thread called "communism, socialism, liberalism, and fascism; what are they" and have you define them for the rest of us.

And if you don't. I will call you a cowardly pussy each and every time I counter post you.
0 Replies

fribbley

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:33 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
fribbley wrote:
By your own stastistics and admission, look at your numbers and what you're trying to propagate... Doesn't it drive the Left nutz that the stastistics you cite tend to show that Americans tend to vote for Americans, rather than Democrats/Leftists? I think your exposition of the numbers tends to bear me out...

yep. the will of the people as expressed at the polls. (or in the polls Laughing)

so i guess now we can all give fribbley a pat on the fuzzy little head and thank him for stopping by.

but please, let us not offend him or hurt his feelings by calling him a "dumb-head" or expressing any other slurs such as "moon-bat".
0 Replies

fribbley

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 01:41 am
kuvasz wrote:
Oh boy, the return of fribbley

He is on work release again, I see.

fribbley wrote:
au1929 wrote:
fribbley

fribbley wrote:
Elections have consequences. The Left doesn't have the will of the people as expressed at the polls on their side any longer.

Well, first, you should learn to understand the difference between polls and elections. George Bush won an election in 2004 with 52% of the vote. Now he has less than 50% approval ratings. Shall we impeach him now? Or consider his administration illegitimate?

The "people" spoke in 2000, and Bush got less votes than Gore. Are you going to tell me that the Electoral College is the "will of the people?" Or is it clearly understood that "historically" the EC was designed as a breach work set up by the Founding Fathers to prevent democratic and popular opinion from having too much power in our Republic?

You do understand the differences between a democracy and a republic, do you not?

fribbley wrote:
You're almost admitting that the courts are controlled by illiberal/Leftists, and that they are the last stronghold of tryanny of the appointed over the elected

No one "almost admitted" anything. You must need glasses.

If you would be so kind to check your history. Over the last 25 years, a Democrat has held the White House for one-third of that time, and over that period most federal judicial appointments have been made by Republican presidents.

Seven of nine Supreme Court justices were nominate by a Republican presidnt. Just look it up.

According to your logic, you are attacking Republican administrations for packing the court system with liberals.

Are you aware of that?

fribbley wrote:
Since the courts are the default arbiters of policy, let the Left suffer the reverses of over a century of juridically imposed collectivism

No, you are quite wrong. The Judiciary is not an arbiter of policy. It is an arbiter of whether or not laws passed also pass constitutional muster. The only way policy is an issue is if it is constitutional. There is a profound difference, even if you want, for ideological purposes, to smear the two ideas together.

Judicial imposed "collectivism" means what? Please enlighten us to specific cases in the federal courts of such. I want specifics, so please present them and illustrate how they are collective.

fribbley wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, the Left still supports collectivism, does it not?

You are mistaken, about this and much more. What is your working definition of collectivism? Is it akin to Stalin's removal of the Kulaks from central and southern Russia or is it the institution of the military draft by Lincoln (another Republican) or perhaps you mean the 16th amendment, passed under another Republican administration (Taft's), the Social Security act of 1937, the Highway Act of 1956, Civil Rights Act of 1965. Just what are you going to reference as "collectivist acts of government?"

Do you even understand the purpose of government?

Here's a clue for you, since you do not seem to understand the purpose of "collective" action, viz., popular forms of government as expressed by forms of governments called democracies and constitutional republics. Tattoo this to you inner eyelids so you remember it.

"CLASSICAL POLITICAL THOUGHT SAYS THAT THE PURPOSE OF GOVERNMENT IS TO DO JUSTICE FOR ITS CITIZENS. PART OF THIS OBLIGATION IS TO FOSTER CONDITIONS IN WHICH WEALTH IS PRODUCED. THE OBLIGATION IS NOT MET BY SUBSTITUTING THE WEALTH-PRODUCER FOR THE GOVERNMENT.

Your hero, however does not seem to understand that, by example stating that "Government doesn't create wealth," Mr. Bush said. "The role of government is to create the kind of conditions where risk-takers and entrepreneurs can invest and grow and hire new workers."

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/10/09/politics/campaigns/09CND-BUSH.html?hp

All fine and good as far as it goes, and while the normal and proper aim of the corporate community is to make money for its managers and for the owners of business all the better if its members also contribute to the general prosperity. However, business acts on the prevailing business philosophy, which claims that corporate self-interest eventually produces the general interest. This comfortable belief rests on misinterpretation of the theory of market rationality proposed by Adam Smith.

He would have found the market primitivism of the current day unrecognizable. He saw the necessity for public intervention to create or sustain the public interest, and took for granted the existence of a government responsible to the community as a whole, providing the structure within which the economy.

fribbley wrote:
The fear on the Left is palpable, and while my initial post was perhaps incendiary, it's gratifying to see such invective and vituperation directed my way.

I assume you enjoy farting in a crowded elevator for the gratification of responses as well.

fribbley wrote:
It was there before I ever posted in the first place, but I just had to point out that those who sling around the N(azi) appellation as ascribed to American Christians-conservatives (which I myself am not) are woefully ill-informed, ignorant of history (past, recent, and present), and dripping with hypocrisy.

It appears that it is you who are woefully uninformed from spending your waking hours masturbating at Freeperland or Luciane's web site.

But I note that you failed to reply to anything I stated that was historically based, "past, recent and present " that delineates the connections in process and rhetoric that makes German fascism akin to right wing American reactionary conservatism.

Why is that?

Surely a self-assured Brainiac such as yourself, so full of historical understanding of political theory and fact can mount a defense to your positions.

fribbley wrote:
It amuses me to no end to see the moonbat-Left so hyperventilate over peoples' religious beliefs; I thought the Left was tolerant in all things...how judgmental and hateful and intolerant is the Left.

You can not have it both ways, in one case criticizing the Left its support of judicial decisions that promote tolerance for, example say homosexual, religious, and minority rights while at the same time criticizing it for intolerance.

You can't play that way.

fribbley wrote:
politics is a science like economics i.e. not measureable,

Actually economics is a measurable science. Perhaps you just mis-typed.

fribbley wrote:
but it's my opinion that the American Left is falling for a trap of trying to equate observance of Christianity and Judaism with the Lefts' faith in governmental/collective power over the beliefs of the individual citizen.

Nope and you ought to provide verification based upon real events before you make such claims. You should note that no one on the Left is critical of anyone's religious beliefs, nor opposes anyone from practicing their religion. What you do find is a concern that people are attempting to codify such religious beliefs in secular society by government through laws.

fribbley wrote:
The electorate didn't reject Leftist candidates such as Hanoi John ….

You ought to be ashamed of yourself for attacking a wounded in action Viet Nam veteran who enlisted, while your heroes George Bush, Dick Cheney, and Tom Delay hid out. Kerry asked for combat duty, killed communists, and won medals for bravery. Bush got drunk, impregnated a woman and paid for her abortion (when it was not yet legal). Equating Kerry with Jane Fonda does not conform to objective reality. And such slurs are disgraceful both for their historical inaccuracies and for their slanderous intent.

Have you no shame at all?

And I have dog in this fight because my uncle was killed in Viet Nam while that worthless puke you admire was off snorting cocaine and smoking pot.

fribbley wrote:
…..because they are overly religious, they rejected the Democrat candidates because they are at best ambivalent about American security in the terrorist era. But it heartens me to see that Democrats first went with "Bush Cheated!" to "Christians are Nazis!" Good Luck, NOT, with that.

Hard to imagine you calling a man who enlists in the Navy and a wounded combat veteran one who does not care for the defense of the nation while you support a man who went AWOL.

You got any medals for bravery or are you simply another fat-ass member of the 101st fighting keyboard battalion typing from his mama's basement?

As to terrorism, the worst terrorist attack this nation has seen was on George Bush's watch and it is abundantly clear from a review of the facts that he refused to take seriously the intelligence community's concerns about al Quida before the WTC and Pentagon attacks.

I guess you think that had you been president and your national security advisor gave you a report entitled "bin Laden determined to attack inside the US" you would have stayed on vacation too.

The next worst attack? A right wing, fundamentalist Christian, Tim McVeigh. So much for concerns about that group.

fribbley wrote:

It is typical with freepers, yet hard to understand how you think you won anything here other than the reprobation of thinking people on this site from either the Right or Left with your distortions of history, lies, and slanders.

fribbley wrote:

Personally, I can tolerate a lot. What I will not tolerate is remarks in debates that are downright dishonest, and yours are that.

Who the hell is making government a god? You are not about to get away with that kind of nonsense, and you had better back up those remarks with facts and not simply uninformed "opinions."

Those millions and millions of people who were killed by fascism and communism were killed by ideologues from both ends of the political spectrum who dismissed the facts and instead marched forward thinking they had absolute certainty.

That is exactly the sprit of your post.

And fascism and communism were defeated by Western liberals and conservatives alike. I lost family members in WWII fighting fascism and have family that was wounded or died fighting communism, so piss off with your remarks.

As I stated earlier when you popped up on-site with your mindless drivel;

WHEN THE RIGHT ACCUSES LIBERALS OF "FASCISM," IT ALMOST ALWAYS DOES SO IN AN EFFORT TO OBSCURE ITS OWN FASCIST PROCLIVITIES -- AND IT REMINDS THE REST OF US JUST WHOSE FOOTSOLDIERS ARE IN REALITY MERRILY GOOSESTEPPING DOWN THE NATIONAL GARDEN PATH.

Finally Mr Freeper, I note that you cowardly failed to take up the challenge I offered, and instead continued with your hit and run ignorant rant about Leftists.

Why is it that freeper folks like you are incapable of intelligent discussion yet parade about thumping their chests and boast how you bested others without even offering a modicum of evidence.

Sport, you couldn't even beat up your fu@king shadow.

Again, this is the challenge to you:

"Start a thread called "communism, socialism, liberalism, and fascism; what are they" and have you define them for the rest of us.

And if you don't. I will call you a cowardly pussy each and every time I counter post you.
That's a very lengthgy argument of sorts, but it doesn't reflect very well upon you.
You've chosen to go personal instead of your political beliefs, and I find your argument somewhat less than wanting.
It's quite obvious that Leftist-moonbats, when given every opportunity and advantage, can't make their case on the merits of the argument...
Right-Wingers Always Win!
Not only that, but Liberals/Leftists/Democrats R Nazis!!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 02:30 am
I am still waiting for that thread so you can dazzle us with your understanding of what liberalism, communism, fascism and socialism are.

Strange that such a tough minded guy like you refuses to defend your positions with facts, nor engage in a substantive, real debate, and instead prefers to waltz around vomiting innanities.

You are exhibiting the typical freeper modus operendi: start with spouting inflammatory and unsubstantiated political nonsense, mix it with personal invective and attack, yet when the former is counted with facts, and the latter returned in kind, provide nothing more than limp-wristed insouciance and an air of superior moral rectitude.

Nice work if you can get it. But you are still wrong, and we both know that if you were capable of a supporting your remarks and positions with a cogent, concise presentation of your politics backed up with historical accuracies and consistent political theories you would have done so by now.

But you can't, and that is the pity with which you must live.

Btw: Say hello to Jonah Goldberg for me. He's just like you.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 3 May, 2005 12:32 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
fribbley wrote:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:

fribbley wrote:
By your own stastistics and admission, look at your numbers and what you're trying to propagate... Doesn't it drive the Left nutz that the stastistics you cite tend to show that Americans tend to vote for Americans, rather than Democrats/Leftists? I think your exposition of the numbers tends to bear me out...

YOU REALLY NEED TO READ THEM AGAIN...

what they show is that, while george w. bush may have been able to con his way into a repeat performance, he's taking on water fast.

as to your drivel about americans voting for americans ? of course they do. to be president you must be a native born american. duh. at least for now. unless your bunch is successful in passing the hatch bill that would allow schwarzenegger to be installed. doubt that's gonna happen. but isn't it ironic that it appears that the current republican party leaders can't find an american to run, so they want to outsource the presidency to ostreich ? yeah, that's real patriotic. Rolling Eyes

your inference that only republicans or conservatives are real americans supports the assertion that certain fringe elements of the gop, in concert with other right wing extremists, have a fascist, or if you prefer, nazi-esque view of things.

and i also agree with kuvasz regarding your ignorant "hanoi john" comment.

thanks for stopping by...
[/color]
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Wed 4 May, 2005 09:57 am
I might post something from the Sojourner's site about the misuse of Christianity by Bill Frist.

What I want to do, however, is to ask folks if they remember the strategy the Republicans used in regard to judicial nominations during the Clinton administration. The Republicans simply failed to put up nominees' names for consideration and many judicial seats were left empty. Now, the hypocrites want to ban the discussion in the form of filabuster. Disgusting.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:09 pm
Bill Frist is an embarrassment to this country, to the Congress and to the medical profession.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 03:40 pm
I worked for a newspaper specifically for attorneys in Michigan during the early 1970s. Michigan was/is (I'm not certain how things are done there at the present time) unusual because judges were generally elected, although the governor would fill vacancies in the various state courts by appointing candidates that were vetted at least by the Bar Association. Sorry, I don't remember whether the legislature had any authority over gubernatorial appointments to the bench.

Anyway, Detroit's Recorders Court is the oldest court of record east of the Mississippi. During the late 60s, one of the hot-ticket, young radical lawyers successfully ran for a seat on said court. He had a flair for the dramatic and wore cowboy boots with his robes and, I believe, either refused to stand during the National Anthem or when the flag was saluted.

Not long after this leftist attorney was appointed, the governor appointed a veteran prosecutor to the bench who was widely considered a "pig" by his brothers at the bar for his ultra-right stands.

Guess what? After a few years, the Bar did a survey. The two men were tied in the esteem the Bar held them for their fairness.

Now, what is going on today in the Congress is unfair. Congress is supposed to act as a check on the administrative branch. The Neo-Cons want it to act as a rubber stamp. The unfairness shown by the Republicans in not even allowing the names of Clinton appointees out of committee is appalling. For that same group to yell foul over activist judges when their own activist judges were keeping women from having abortions and keeping black children out of good schools not so many years ago is hypocrisy.

At this rate, the NeoCons will never allow this country to witness a situation like the Michigan bench demonstrated: that there can be good liberal and conservative judges. The Neo-Cons will simply prevent anyone who is not of their brotherhood from succeeding to the bench.
0 Replies

Atkins

Reply Mon 9 May, 2005 04:00 pm
Let's play word association.

Word: Religious right

Association: Bigot
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 12:25 am
Atkins wrote:
Let's play word association.

Word: Religious right

Association: Bigot

i like this;

word: faith-based government

association: theocracy

word: theocracy

association: iran

all in favor of modeling the united states after iran, raise your hand.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:29 am
Great EJ Dionne column today:

Quote:
A GOP Plan to 'Fix' the Democrats

By E. J. Dionne Jr.
Tuesday, May 10, 2005; Page A21

The stakes in politics are about to get a lot higher.

The partisan battles in the coming weeks -- on judges, Social Security and the future of Tom DeLay -- are part of a larger struggle in which Republicans are seeking to establish themselves as the dominant party in American politics. Essential to their quest is persuading Democrats, or at least a significant number in their ranks, to accept long-term minority status.

The current acrimony in politics is incomprehensible unless it is understood as the inevitable next act of a long-term struggle. Its ferocity arises from the Democrats' refusal to accept the role assigned them by their opponents. They are taking a stand across a broad front not simply to "obstruct" current GOP designs but to reverse a Republican political offensive that began during Bill Clinton's presidency.

In fact, every one of today's fights can be seen as a response to something that happened in the 1990s.

Democrats in the Senate insist on their right to stop some of President Bush's judges because Republicans were so aggressive in stopping Clinton judges in the '90s.

Privately, Senate Democrats are especially furious that Republicans have completely reversed their position on whether there is even a need for more federal judicial appointments. During the Clinton administration, many Republican senators insisted that there were too many federal judges and that it was therefore unnecessary for the president to fill all the vacancies that came up at the time. Republicans changed their story after President Bush's election, talking about a "vacancy crisis." Democrats are dug in on judges precisely because they do not want to reward Republican obstruction in the 1990s. The theory is that one wave of obstruction deserves -- even demands -- another.

In refusing to deal with Bush on Social Security privatization, Democrats recall the battle over Clinton's health care plan. While a few moderate Republicans, notably the late Sen. John Chafee of Rhode Island, were willing to bargain with Clinton, the party as a whole put up a front of opposition. Republican House Speaker Newt Gingrich made it a matter of party discipline to bar anyone in his caucus from negotiating with the Democrats.

Now that Republicans are in control of the presidency and both houses, Democrats -- even moderates who might otherwise favor modest Social Security changes -- see no reason to help Republicans dismantle any aspect of a program that is central to the Democratic legacy. They note (sometimes with grudging admiration) that Republicans paid no price for obstructing health care reform in the 1990s and that Republicans have no right to demand Democratic complicity with Bush now.

As for DeLay, there is singular Democratic satisfaction in seeing that the moralist who insisted that Clinton be impeached is now embroiled in a series of ethical scandals. DeLay, it should be recalled, pressured many House Republicans to vote, against their own instincts, for impeachment.

Moreover, the DeLay scandals go to the heart of how Republicans have achieved power since 1994: the creation of an interlocking directorate of politicians, lobbyists, fundraisers and interest groups. For Democrats, the DeLay scandal is not simply a political gift but also an opportunity for public education on the nature of the Republicans' congressional machine.

DeLay's fate will depend on how long his party stays loyal to him and whether there are new revelations. But even on the issues of Social Security and judges, there can be no easy compromise, because both sides understand the stakes in these battles in exactly the same way.

DeLay himself drew the line sharply the day after the 2004 elections. "The Republican Party is a permanent majority for the future of this country," DeLay declared. "We're going to be able to lead this country in the direction we've been dreaming of for years."

Grover Norquist, the president of Americans for Tax Reform and a leading figure in both the DeLay and Bush political operations, chose more colorful post-election language to describe the future. "Once the minority of House and Senate are comfortable in their minority status, they will have no problem socializing with the Republicans," he told Richard Leiby of The Post. "Any farmer will tell you that certain animals run around and are unpleasant. But when they've been 'fixed,' then they are happy and sedate. They are contented and cheerful."

If you wonder in the coming weeks why Democrats are so reluctant to give ground, remember Norquist's jocular reference to neutering the opposition party. Democrats are neither contented nor cheerful over the prospect of being "fixed." Should that surprise anyone?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 10 May, 2005 08:40 am
tah
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 04:37 am
Quote:
Schumer calls Frist out on his own filibuster

Think Progress:

This morning on the floor of the Senate, Sen. Chuck Schumer asked Majority Leader Bill Frist a simple question: SEN. SCHUMER: Isn't it correct that on March 8, 2000, my colleague [Sen. Frist] voted to uphold the filibuster of Judge Richard Paez?

Here was Frist's response:

The president, the um, in response, uh, the Paez nomination - we'll come back and discuss this further. … Actually I'd like to, and it really brings to what I believe - a point - and it really brings to, oddly, a point, what is the issue. The issue is we have leadership-led partisan filibusters that have, um, obstructed, not one nominee, but two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten, in a routine way.

When Frist voted to filibuster Paez's nomination it had been pending for four years. It's hard to believe he couldn't get all the info he needed or ask all the questions he had during that time. Make no mistake about it: Bill Frist was trying to kill the Paez nomination. A press release issued the following day by former Sen. Bob Smith, who organized the filibuster effort, read "Smith Leads Effort to Block Activist Judges." All the details about Frist's hypocrisy HERE.

Touche'
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 20 May, 2005 10:21 am
looks like fristy is just about as good as bush at thinking on his feet.

or is that, "thinking with his feet. Laughing
0 Replies