Congress's Deepening Shadow World. Government for sale.

NobleCon

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 01:12 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
goodfielder wrote:
Globalisation renders the definition of "countries" or "states" obsolete. Multinational companies don't recognise themselves as American, Canadian, Britsh, Australian etc. They have no loyalty to states which are irrelevant to them. They don't recognise national eeconomies. They just don't care about anything outside of their own interests.

one of the most unattractive aspects of the thing to me. i like being american (though the last 5 years have been fairly embarassing Embarrassed ), but it may be that as time goes on, countries will be regarded in geographic terms, relative to planet earth, the way states and provinces are now.

that probably depends a lot on our finally getting it together to actually do something about getting off the planet first.

i agree with you about the multinational corporations. i'd really like to see something done about that. if we reclaimed taxes from even a fraction of what is sitting in the caymans, national health care would be a no brainer and the deficit would still be a surplus i bet.

the whole thing is starting to look like one of those sci fi movies from the '80s, like "moon 44" or something...

Globalization, as economic integration that is, may not render those terms obsolete. Countries, or States, may participate in this interdependence and maintain a national identity; or, as Tread noted, perhaps a geographic identity. The complete annihilation of State or Geographic identity is, at best, a shot in the dark; at worst, an abhorrent prediction.

As for multinationals, they do indeed "recognize" national economies: how else will the math boys adjust their stats and predictor markers to compensate for the changing data? Their "interests" do involve, and primarily I will add, national economies- they must, by necessity; international economies are stretched very thin and still in their infancy, and small community-like economies of a third-world nature are of interest certainly, but not as profitable. So, then, what "types" of economies would a multinational- or the math boys I should say- pay close attention to: petty economies, infant economies, or large national economies? In point, national economies are not "outside" of their interests; rather, they represent their prime interest. Additionally, to create "funnels" between such economies would be of greater interest.

Tread, I thought no one watched that flick.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:03 am
NobleCon wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
the whole thing is starting to look like one of those sci fi movies from the '80s, like "moon 44" or something...

you mean... two people saw it ???? Laughing
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 02:21 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
NobleCon wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

you mean... two people saw it ???? Laughing

make that 3 people.
0 Replies

NobleCon

Reply Sat 23 Apr, 2005 10:54 am
That is funny. I really thought that movie never "made it."

You guys are good!
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Thu 28 Apr, 2005 10:15 am
Checking in and taking a seat.
0 Replies