Congress's Deepening Shadow World. Government for sale.

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:20 am
Quote:
Congress's Deepening Shadow World

Published: April 14, 2005

When it comes to lobbying Congress, Washington is now a $3-billion-a-year company town. The influence industry is multiplying so fast that no one really knows how many lobbyists are at work these days. Ten years after a law was passed to register and track lobbyists, the Capitol staffs charged with the task are woefully short-handed and lack proper auditing and investigative powers, according to a study by the Center for Public Integrity.

It found the industry doubling in size in just the past six years. At the same time, government's revolving door has ratcheted up to warp speed: an estimated 240 former members of Congress and federal agency heads, as well as 2,000 other senior officials, are now lobbyists, earning salaries only fantasized about in their public service days to gain an entree for major corporations and interest groups.

The some $13 billion spent on lobbying since 1998 is more than twice the amount spent by candidates for federal office, yet campaign financing is vetted far more closely for possible abuses than lobbying. Thousands of required lobbying disclosure documents have not been filed, the center found, with no one making a fuss.

Lobbying has now become an established part of representative government. But that doesn't remove the need for far better disclosure rules and regulation, as should be obvious from the tale of Jack Abramoff, the lobbyist-insider being investigated because of allegations that he gulled Indian tribes to collect scores of millions of dollars.

A few lawmakers, like Representative Martin Meehan, a Massachusetts Democrat, have proposed stronger restraints on the Congressional alumni who so quickly turn around to lobby their old committees. He would also require disclosure by the murky, mushrooming world of "grass roots" lobbying via outside pressure groups and television ads. Such good ideas, of course, don't draw the attention of Washington's power lobbyists.

The congressional yard sale. Government goes to the highest bidder. I guess that in washington terms is considered representative government. Or is it free enterprise?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,570 • Replies: 24
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:46 am
I am starting to get very, very worried about the stability of our nation.

Au, I know you've been reading the financial news lately. Do you agree that we are on the brink of a crisis?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:22 am
Without a doubt. Our credit card is about to Max out. How long can we cut taxes, borrow and spend like drunken sailors.
The democrats have been called the tax and spend party. That in my opinion is far better than the republican policy of cutting taxes [for the haves] borrow and spend.

In addition with the horrendous balance of payment deficit and disappearing industry the economic future sure do not look rosy. However, the oil giants are making money hand over fist keeping Bush and friends happy.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:26 am
I think that the mixture of poor economy and Corrupt gov't (our gov't was never intended to be a one-party system) has lead to a situation where we could very easily face panic, recession, and collapse if we are not very very careful.

Most people don't realize just how Urban our society is nowdays. If there is any interruption in the flow of food whatsoever, there will be a panic.

I don't believe it is too late but I believe it will be in just a year if we don't change our ways, quickly...

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:28 am
The stock market has been tanking all year. Although I hate losing money, maybe it's for the best. People may notice (and probably are) while Bush tries to sell us on privatized SSI...
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:31 am
Is a crisis neccessary for real change in our system?

History would suggest so.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 11:44 am
D'artagnan
Me too. Although I have many interest bearing instruments and am getting a steady stream of dividends and interest. The value of my portfolio is taking a beating. Thankfully, I am in no way dependent upon it.
Bush meanwhile is trying to sell an SS plan that is dependent on the market. No wonder he failed in private industry. Buying an MBA is not the same as earning it.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:06 pm
I agree with all of you and I hate to say it, but I feel we're very close to civil unrest....
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:19 pm
Civil unrest! No. All that is needed for the people to wake up and not be fooled by the administrations lies and propaganda. If they do the crud that is now in congress will be voted out in 06.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:21 pm
Quote:
Civil unrest! No. All that is needed for the people to wake up and not be fooled by the administrations lies and propaganda. If they do the crud that is now in congress will be voted out in 06.

Deep in my heart I have zero belief this will happen. Why? Because the voting machines themselves cannot be trusted. Our system has been compromised at the highest levels, and the Republicans sure as hell aren't going to do anything about it.

I too fear civil unrest. I prepare. You should as well.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:37 pm
not that i'd want (or quietly allow ) this to happen, but a while back i started thinking about how things are coming together, or not, as the case may be, and a very strange vision of a possible future america emerged.

as it now stands;

1) we don't really make much of anything anymore. and too much of what is still manufactured in the usa is foreign owned.

2) even much of our food is brought in from mexico and other countries.

3) anyone who has been to the hospital and many doctor's offices lately will see that there are more and more doctors, nurses and technicians from abroad. many have had no med school in the usa.

4) have you talked to a "customer service rep" on the phone lately? it's more than a little disconcerting when you call earthlink and others to reconcile a problem only to find that "kevin" speaks with a distinct bombay accent and you need to repeat yourself because he can't understand "your english". my buddy's a doctor. a year or so ago, the hospital where he practices made the decision to outsource dictation and records to a firm in india. now he must spend even more time proofing the returned notes, and tells me that there are not only problems with spelling and grammar, but that whole sentences are changed, which effects the entire meaning of the documentation. "death by translation"???

5) as some have noted, we are so over extended that our national debt (including the $$ borrowed to pay for those big tax cuts) is being floated by foreign nations in a way never seen before. it's amazing to me that while our leaders condemn, rightfully, the human rights record of communist china, they have also allowed the same to buy up a lion's share of our debt.
let that sink in for a sec. one of our most adversarial competitors in geo-politics, energy requirements and a country that has fostered a mind numbing trade deficit with our nation holds the paper on our national debt. guess we better not piss them off anytime soon, eh?

6) our country, regrettably, really does at this point rely on the cheap immigrant labor for a lot of the hard work. both liberals and conservatives, for different reasons, have done nothing to stem the tide of illegal immigration. both have floated the "they do the jobs that americans won't do" talk. any american who has ever been dead broke but has gotten used to eating occasionally and living indoors can tell you that given the choice of sleeping in a cardboard box in an alley or cleaning the men's room at the red lobster is not really a brain buster.
having done a ton of crappy jobs as a young, struggling musician far from home, i can personally tell you that next to starving and homelessness, a little humiliation is not life threatening and is, in my estimation, kind of good for the soul. frankly, not every one has the desire, or the brain power, to be a stock trader, ceo or similar "professional". but we are increasingly being told, if even in a subliminal way, that really, getting your hands dirty is for losers.
however, if someone from abroad is working under the radar and for less than minimum wage, no benefits and fear that complaining will bring la migre, there are an awful lot of employers that will exploit that and then say that, "gosh, i just couldn't find an american that wanted the job". i for one, have been amazed at some of the places this has occured. airports come to mind.
that a huge amount of the money earned by illegals and other immigrants is sent, not back into the u.s. economy, but out of the country never to return only adds to the problem.

there's more we could point at, but for the purpose of simplicity, let me put it this way;

(Q) if america doesn't build anything, grow our own food, create our own energy or what have you, what would such an america have to sell ?

(A) banking and the worlds most powerful military. both underpinned by religion.

so it's possible that america would mimick the classic tribal order of things, chieftans, priests and the warrior cast. and lots of barefoot women popping out the next generation and cleaning the ol' homestead.

rather than be self sufficient, america would offer it's military as mercenaries in exchange for money and goods. and do so with the blessings of the religious leaders who assure us that "we are one nation under god. and he's on our side !".

somehow, no matter how you care to "interpret" the declaration of independence or the constitution, it takes a veeeerrrryyyy long stretch to reach the conclusion that that is the america that the founding fathers intended.

but we are seeing a tendancy in that direction. we should probably knock it off pretty soon. it doesn't seem to have worked too good for the roman empire.

Idea
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:41 pm
Cycloptichorn
If it doesn't it won't be because of the voting machines but because the republican PR machine will out slick the democratic one. And also because of the political ignorance of the American electorate.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:45 pm
Take heart, folks. This is probably how people felt during the dark days of McCarthyism. Not to worry; it's inevitable, sunlight destroys these things that flourish in the dark and the dank.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:15 pm
bm
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 06:43 pm
JTT wrote:
Take heart, folks. This is probably how people felt during the dark days of McCarthyism. Not to worry; it's inevitable, sunlight destroys these things that flourish in the dark and the dank.

there are more than one or two similarities, aren't there?
0 Replies

chiczaira

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:21 pm
I am sure that "Don't tread on me" has not read any of the works of the Pulitzer Prize winner, Thomas Friedman, Foreign Affairs columnist of the paper of record- the New York Times.

Mr. Friedman in his landmark book- The Lexus and the Olive Tree' answers most of "Dont tread on me"s questions. A quote from his book is revealing:

"the driving idea behind globalization is free-market capitalism--the more you let market forces rule and the more you open your economy to free trade and competition, the more efficient and flourishing your economy will be".

I encourage Dont tread to read the book.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:06 pm
chiczaira
Mr. Freidmans theory does not seem to be working in our favor. What globalization has brought us it would seem is the rape of our industries.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
chiczaira wrote:
I am sure that "Don't tread on me" has not read any of the works of the Pulitzer Prize winner, Thomas Friedman, Foreign Affairs columnist of the paper of record- the New York Times.

Mr. Friedman in his landmark book- The Lexus and the Olive Tree' answers most of "Dont tread on me"s questions. A quote from his book is revealing:

"the driving idea behind globalization is free-market capitalism--the more you let market forces rule and the more you open your economy to free trade and competition, the more efficient and flourishing your economy will be".

I encourage Dont tread to read the book.

first, chiczaira; feel free to save yourself some keystrokes by simply typing "dtom". caps aren't necessary, i'm not that important... Laughing

also, i just looked at the book's listing on the random house site. it does look like a good, informative read and i look forward to picking it up.

don't mistake my comments as "anti-globalization". frankly whether or not i like it, it is an unstoppable reality. i actually favor nafta and believe cafta will also be an important step in creating the type of continental collective effort needed to compete with the e.u. and what's shaping up as "the pacific rim" or whatever. that said with the caveat that in order for the scheme to have parity among members, the opportunities for native born americans, both at home and abroad, must be equal to those enjoyed by the immigrant workforce.

for example, it is estimated that there are +/- 20 million illegal aliens in the country, and lets say that 75% (a low estimate i think) are working, under the radar or with false papers, available in the macarthur park area for $20 a throw. most of that money does indeed go to the illegal worker's country of origin.

now, is there any country, either in the americas or elsewhere that has allowed 15 million illegally immigrated americans to even remain in their country, let alone work illegally and send the money back to america? i don't think so.

what's good for the goose, etc.

that alone is a huge component of the scenario i laid out. and frankly, it's amazing to me that so many people with "patriotic" sentiments about our country are so willing to allow what amounts to being invaded from the inside out, so to speak, just to increase their bottom line.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 07:22 pm
Globalisation renders the definition of "countries" or "states" obsolete. Multinational companies don't recognise themselves as American, Canadian, Britsh, Australian etc. They have no loyalty to states which are irrelevant to them. They don't recognise national eeconomies. They just don't care about anything outside of their own interests.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 15 Apr, 2005 08:26 pm
goodfielder wrote:
Globalisation renders the definition of "countries" or "states" obsolete. Multinational companies don't recognise themselves as American, Canadian, Britsh, Australian etc. They have no loyalty to states which are irrelevant to them. They don't recognise national eeconomies. They just don't care about anything outside of their own interests.

one of the most unattractive aspects of the thing to me. i like being american (though the last 5 years have been fairly embarassing Embarrassed ), but it may be that as time goes on, countries will be regarded in geographic terms, relative to planet earth, the way states and provinces are now.

that probably depends a lot on our finally getting it together to actually do something about getting off the planet first.

i agree with you about the multinational corporations. i'd really like to see something done about that. if we reclaimed taxes from even a fraction of what is sitting in the caymans, national health care would be a no brainer and the deficit would still be a surplus i bet.

the whole thing is starting to look like one of those sci fi movies from the '80s, like "moon 44" or something...
0 Replies