The Dentist's Office is a Bad, Bad Place!

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:22 pm
Holy crap, I had a dental appointment this morning, and let me just say, that was not a pleasant hour.

It didn't help that I hadn't been to the dentist's office in about two years. I stopped going when I started to feel like the dentist's in my plan were all pretty much the bottom of the barrel.

Finally, I have found a good one now. But after all that time, there was all this calcified gunk on my teeth, so, after about forty-five minutes of pain and incessant bleeding, my gums were swollen up to the point where the dentist told me that they couldn't even finish the teeth polishing today, because it was too inflamed. I've never had such a painful visit to the dentist before. Excruciating.

Plus, I have a frickin' cavity!

What about you?

All dental horror stories are welcome here...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,013 • Replies: 26
No top replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:43 pm
I had 9 cavities filled last fall. The first 2 sets (I was there 3 times) of fillings were done by a little fierce woman - I will be switching to the other dentist for my routine cleanings.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:45 pm
Holy crap! How could you have nine cavities at once? I smoked, drank Pepsi constantly, and sucked on lollipops for the past three months and I only have one. What could you possibly do to get nine cavities at once?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:47 pm
I hadn't been to the dentist in like 8 years. I drinkbottled water without added flouride. I got bad genes. I dunno.

Sorry about your trip to the dentist today - sounds terrible!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:50 pm
Eight years is a long time.

Actually today's visit was horrible, but I'm glad I finally went. And she seemed like a good dentist. Yay for me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:54 pm
Yay for you.

I got a note to go in for my cleaning..... I get 2 free cleanings/year with this psuedo plan I have.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 10:26 pm
I just got my braces tightnended yesterday. Try being on a liquid diet for 3-5 days, when you're an athlete.

Pain from slightest touch + no food (i miss chicken) = Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 12:26 am
I am SOOOOOO lucky that I don't get tartar and never need my teeth cleaned - I gather it is lucky genes?

Anyhoo - I still hate dentists!!! Had a truly horrific filling years ago - never recovered my equilibrium - but I am getting better.

My old dentist used to work from home - with her dogs in the room. It was nice!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 03:14 am
My dentist calls me a plaque manufacturing plant. As a result, I have to brush my teeth atleast 3 times a day, and go to the dentist to have them cleaned every 3 instead of a normal 6 months.

I also used to chew tobacco in my youth, which is a fairly normal thing as part of growing up in my part of country, coupled with years of smoking have left my teeth in a bad shape. They are yellow instead of white, and have to be frequently polished. The enamel is damaged so tooth whitening is not recommended for me.

And you think you had a horrible time at the dentist ? Laughing
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:26 am
I have bad teeth genes and an early history of neglect. I've paid for it in more ways than I'd like to remember. Even with everything I went through, including some root canals, crowns, and a root extrusion via orthodonture, the absolute WORST was the routine cleanings I would get from a certain sadist hygenist. The dentist was a personal friend and I told him she was absolutely brutal. A couple years later she was gone and I asked what had happened to her. He said they had finally fired her after they realised they were losing patients because of her. I had stayed because this guy was a personal friend but a number of others had moved on.

<shudder> It's all coming back to me now, thanks a lot, Kicky.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:31 am
I have to go in for cleanings every 4 months, but they're not too bad. I'm a very compliant patient. The worst thing they've ever done was a root canal on one of my front teeth. It took two of them to hold me down.

After it was over, they told me that was the most painful place to do a root canal. Gee, thanks. I would have asked for general anesthesia.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:43 am
Ilove the dentist. Two words Nitrous Oxide. Yee Haw!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:45 am
The precursor to my visits to the dentist Twisted Evil is a toothache. Otherwise the guy with the pick and drill won't see me.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:59 am
Generally, going to the dentist doesn't bother me too much. Over the years I have had a root canal and a couple of fillings, and had two wisdom teeth pulled. I'm thankful for the invention of novocain, but I don't like nitrous oxide at all.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:11 am
one of my best friends is a dentist. i haven't had a filling in i don't know how many years. she cleaned my teeth once, out of utter boredom, for there's nothing to do in my mouth. i don't produce plaque at all. the downside - slow metabolism...
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:13 am
I have dentistphobia due to an ogre I had for a dentist as a child. I can only go if nitrous is involved, but right now I am going on 10 years between dental visits. I'm petrified to find a new dentist. Especially now. My teeth are probably rotting out of my head at this point.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 09:18 am
Haha, that reminded of my first visit to a dentist office. I was about 5.

Me: I'm feeling sick.

He: And I'm sick of you, sit down and be quiet.

Not another peep from me...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 05:42 pm
Nice.

I actually don't produce much plaque. At least I don't traditionally, like I said, I hadn't been to the dentist in 8 years before about 7 months ago. EXCEPT for a root canal surgery on my front tooth which didn't hurt at all. How did that happen?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 08:42 pm
Okay, lilk, I'm taking a loaded gun to my dentist's office next time. I'm gonna get that sucker....
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 10:11 pm
hehehe.... don't go by me - my family has weird reactions to both pain and medication. Speaking of medication. I'm looped on cold meds right now. I hope I don't say anything embarassing.
0 Replies