The Wild, Wild....Southeast?

cjhsa

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:17 pm
MIAMI (AFP) - Florida's legislature has approved a bill that would give residents the right to open fire against anyone they perceive as a threat in public, instead of having to try to avoid a conflict as under prevailing law.

Outraged opponents say the law will encourage Floridians to open fire first and ask questions later, fostering a sort of statewide Wild West shootout mentality. Supporters argue that criminals will think twice if they believe they are likely to be promptly shot when they assault someone.

Republican Governor Jeb Bush, who has said he plans to sign the bill, says it is "a good, commonsense, anti-crime issue."

Current state law allows residents to "shoot to kill if their property, such as their home or car, is invaded by an unknown assailant."

But it also states that if a resident is confronted or threatened in a public place, he or she must first try to avoid the confrontation or flee before taking any violent step in self defense against an assailant.

The bill, supported by the influential National Rifle Association, was approved by both houses of the Republican-run legislature on Tuesday. http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/afp/20050406/ts_alt_afp/uscrimeguns_050406201103
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 498 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:25 pm
the inmates are running the asylum. Men of sense and cool heads should build a wall around Florida and force them out of the Union.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:27 pm
It's actually gotten much safer there since they relaxed the gun laws.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 03:55 pm
Re: The Wild, Wild....Southeast?
cjhsa wrote:
MIAMI (AFP) - the right to open fire against anyone they perceive as a threat in public

Several months ago I found a rather large women approaching me on a sidewalk walking erratically, gesticulating, and speaking what seemed to gibberish into thin air,. An obvious nut case and I felt a pang of anxiety. But as she moved closer it turned out that she was talking into a small cell phone plugged into her ear with a wire microphone extending to her mouth and she was speaking French (Creole).

This is a very foolish law. It requires that a person coolly judge a perceived threat and then take on the powers of the police and open fire if necessary, an almost impossible task. We have culturally learned assumptions about what proper and expected behavior should be in public, and when that expected behavior is violated we feel unease and possible fear. But our expectations can not cover all possible non threatening behaviors. Nor all all people equally cool and rational in unexpected situations. This law is going to get some innocent people shot and some foolish but otherwise innocuous people in jail.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 04:02 pm
I think the driving factor behind this are the arcane laws in other states that don't allow you to protect yourself. Even in states with CCW laws in place, you are told that if anyone breaks into your house, not to interrupt them. Rather, you should go hide near a phone and call the police, and only use your firearm if they come after you and threaten you.

This isn't all that new for Florida anyway. If you are robbing someone with a partner, and your partner gets shot and killed by the victim, not only will they arrest you for robery, but you'll also get charged with murder (in FL).
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 04:23 pm
cjhsa wrote:
This isn't all that new for Florida anyway. If you are robbing someone with a partner, and your partner gets shot and killed by the victim, not only will they arrest you for robery, but you'll also get charged with murder (in FL).

Same in Connecticut, but I can't shoot someone down in the street if I feel threatened.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 04:30 pm
Makes you wonder how they plan to enforce this law, eh?
0 Replies