Presesnt continuous

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 07:43 am
Hi everybody,

In definite arrangement in the near future ( immediate plans ) , We must mention the time of action. So, we don't confuse the future and the present,

- I am meeting her tonight.

Isn't that right ? What I don't get is in the case of come and go. They can be used without a time expression. Could someone tell more? ( Maybe it's me ) .

2 ) If I say,

- At six, I'm bathing the baby.

The rule says that present continuous is used with a point of time that begins before the time of action and probably follows it. How come before six, when it's mentioned that it's six ?

3 ) Ok, if I say,

- I'm always making this mistake.

The repeated action here is accidental . This is right in the case of I, we + always + present continuous.

What if I say,

He's always making this mistake.

Does this also imply accidental ?

Thanks,

Am I asking stupid questions ?!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 628 • Replies: 2
No top replies

syntinen

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 01:33 am
Hi navigator,
No, they're not stupid questions. There are rules but native English-speakers don't always keep to them!

1. Mentioning the time in order to make clear that you are talking of the future rather the present is a good rule, but it is not necessary if there is no likelihood of confusion. If I say to friends I'm going to Spain for my holiday, or My mother is coming to visit me, they will understand that I am talking of the near future, and that neither I nor my mother has a suitcase and an airline ticket in hand at this moment.

2. At six, I'm bathing the baby sounds altogether odd to me.
For the future, depending on the context I would say:
- I'll bathe the baby at six
- I'm going to bathe the baby at six
- At six I'll be bathing the baby.
(This one would fit in a sentence such as "Come round to my house at six, I'll be bathing the baby" - i.e. that's what you'll find me doing when you arrive.)

For the present, I would say:

- At six I bathe the baby. (i.e. that's what I usually do at six).

3. Yes, He's always making this mistake is just as correct as I'm always making this mistake and implies just the same.
0 Replies

navigator

Reply Thu 14 Apr, 2005 07:18 am
Hi syntinen, and thanks. So, I can say either,

I'm meeting her.

or

I'm going to meet her.

and both sentences will be fine without the " must " of time for the first one.

As for At six, I'm bathing the baby I found it in a book ( don't wanna mention Smile ) . The use of present continuous here is in a point of time, which means I start bathing the baby before six. That was what I didn't get .
0 Replies