OCD and Alcoholism

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:54 pm
I was wondering if anyone could tell me about links between OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) and alcoholism. Alcoholism runs in my family from both paternal and maternal sides. I know that I have a high risk of addiction. I am 25 years old and have never had a substance abuse problem, but I do have OCD as well as ADHD. My fiancee has made the suggestion that it could stem from the substance abuse that I have a predisposition towards. Has there ever been any studies on this? Has anyone else had similar issues? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 996 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sun 17 Apr, 2005 01:57 pm
I can just speak of my personal experience......

I'm alcoholic, stopped drinking in 1987. I definately feel that alcohol and OCD are somehow "hardwired" together in my brain.

Since childhool I realized I had obsessive/compulsive tendencies. Also, looking back I realized I had been experiencing panic attacks since at least my mid teens.

Alot of my drinking was to aleviate the feelings of panic, and I felt the counting rituals I had was the only control I had.

A about 5 years ago, the stress of a family members illness set off a time bomb in me and I began experiencing panic attacks almost daily. At the time, I didn't know what they were, I just new I had gotten to the point I couldn't live like this any longer.
Long story short (too late), after a year of so of therapy, I ended up taking Zoloft, which is supposed to be for depression (which I never had), but it also works for Anxiety Disorder and OCD.
I'll let you read up on the relationship of seritonin and all of this.
Anyway, by George, it sure did work!
Funny, now sometimes when I find myself wanting to repeat calculating my check book balance, or need to see if I REALLY set the coffee pot up for the morning, I can laugh at myself.
0 Replies

MelRich79

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:07 pm
Thank you so much for your story. It does sound very similiar to my situation. I also suffer from panic attacks, but I've never taken medication for it. I've always just been told to "calm down" and not to freak out so much. But, I'm beginning to see that it might not be me freaking out, but something that I need to seek medication for. Again, thank you!
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 12:09 pm
Bookmark. I'll try to post here later when I have more time.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Apr, 2005 01:12 pm
I don't think that there is a scientific link between OCD and alcoholism, although, like Chai said alcoholism can come from trying to dull the pain and emotional stress from OCD or other disorders.

OCD puts you at a higher risk for alcoholism but having a disorder like depression, anxiety, OCD, etc...puts you at a higher risk for lots of things. Depression can lead to alcoholism, drug abuse, domestic violence...

It is just important to get the help you need and to realize that these things do not cure the disorder. And that you aren't alone. Knowing is half the battle.
0 Replies