President.... Gingrich???

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:37 pm
http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheHill/News/Frontpage/041205/newt.html

Quote:
Eye on '08, Newt hits Iowa, N.H.
By Alexander Bolton

Former Speaker Newt Gingrich (R-Ga.) will spend two days in New Hampshire next week to meet editorial boards and conservative activists, convincing several of his former House colleagues that he will run for the presidency in 2008.

Gingrich will spend Monday and part of Tuesday in the Granite State and has packed his schedule with events calculated to boost his profile and woo influential Republicans whose support would be critical in a presidential primary. New Hampshire is the site of the first primary.

Gingrich will attend a $50-per-person fundraiser for the New Hampshire Republican State Committee and meet a coalition of conservative activists. He has also scheduled meetings with the Concord Monitor, Union Leader and Valley News and an appearance on New England Cable News, said Rick Tyler, his spokesman.

The former Speaker will also visit the Dartmouth College Republicans and participate in two signing sessions for his new book, Winning the Future. High-toned books are classic markers of a politician's blossoming presidential ambitions.

Gingrich will also travel to Iowa on May 12 and 13 for visits to Sioux City, Cedar Rapids and Iowa City and will likely participate in events for the local Republican Party and attend one or two book signings, Tyler said. The Iowa caucuses are the first election of the presidential nominating process, followed by the New Hampshire primary a few days later.

News of Gingrich's foray into the presidential battleground and the array of politically significant activities have prompted enthusiastic responses from House Republicans. All GOP lawmakers who spoke with The Hill said he would be a top-tier candidate who could seriously challenge the early front-runners, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) and former New York Mayor Rudy Giuliani.

Although McCain and Giuliani lead early national polls, some conservatives view them with deep skepticism. McCain has often sided with Senate Democrats in key legislative battles, such as last year's over the budget, and Giuliani supports abortion rights.

Gingrich is a hero of conservatives, whose influence will be heightened in a presidential primary.

"Apart from Ronald Reagan, there has been no voice more clarion in the conservative movement than Newt Gingrich in the last 25 years," said Rep. Mike Pence (R-Ind.), chairman of the Republican Study Committee, a caucus of about 100 conservatives in the House. "I know that conservatives because of their respect and affection for him are going to take a real hard look at Gingrich."
Pence said conservatives would also consider carefully Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist (R-Tenn.) and Sen. Sam Brownback (R-Kan.) should they decide to run for president, as many political observers expect.

Pence recalled his days as a House candidate, driving around the district listening to GOPAC tapes of Gingrich explaining how to communicate the tenets of conservatism.

"The man has a genuine gift for inspiring passion for conservative ideals," Pence said. "That used to come across on tape."

Read the rest of the article at the link provided above.

Interesting Support from Feeney (R-FL) at the end of the article. He's the guy that is currently embroiled in the "make me some software to steal the 2000 election" case.

So, what do you think aof a Newt presidential run?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,225 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:41 pm
Please, god, let him run!!!!

Oh please

I would absolutely die of happiness

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:42 pm
Gingrich...... Gingrich.....

Oh! I remember! Wasn't he the other guy that had an affair with an intern?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:10 pm
While his wife was fighting cancer...Yep, that's the Newt I know.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:38 pm
Yeah, he'd be fun. Run, Newt, run!

I'd love to see him court the Christian Right vote...
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 02:44 pm
gingrich/hannity in 2008 !!! "when nobody else is moral enough!!

Shocked
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 02:48 pm
I don't know about you all, but I know what I would love to see in 2008.

N. Gingrich Vs. H. Clinton

It could happen... but who would be hated by more Americans.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:00 pm
I didn't really think that highly of Gingrich when he was the house speaker, but it would be well worth it to me to support him, to see the reaction of the liberals if he were elected.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:00 pm
Vince McMahon could be Hill's campagin manager. She would whip Newt's pale grey ass. He can only pick on women on their deathbeds, that's his specialty.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:01 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Vince McMahon could be Hill's campagin manager. She would whip Newt's pale grey ass. He can only pick on women on their deathbeds, that's his specialty.

One would normally think killing someone came closer to the spirit of the term "pick on" than trying to save someone.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 03:15 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

One would normally think killing someone came closer to the spirit of the term "pick on" than trying to save someone.

I'm missing your point.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:02 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I'm missing your point.

Lol - all roads lead to Schiavo, BVT!
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:16 pm
Who? Oh yeah dlowan that's so....last week. :wink:
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:22 pm
actually deb I was speaking of this Newt Gingrich

"He walked out in the spring of 1980.... By September, I went into the hospital for my third surgery. The two girls came to see me, and said, "Daddy is downstairs. Could he come up?" When he got there, he wanted to discuss the terms of the divorce while I was recovering from my surgery." - Jackie, his first wife.

and this one

Newt pressed his first wife to sign divorce papers while she was still in the hospital recovering from cancer surgery. He also graciously said "She isn't young enough or pretty enough to be the President's wife." But his second marriage hasn't been that smooth either. Newt and Marianne have been separated - "frankly", she told the Washington Post in June 1989, "it's been on and off for some time."

and while we're at it let's don't forget this one

Sex on the Desk - Oral Sex is More Easily Denied
Several newspapers are now reporting that Newt Gingrich is dating and basically living with Callista Bisek, a "willowy blond Congressional aide 23 years his junior." Biske, 33, has been spending nights at Gingrich's apartment near the Capitol and has her own key. In an amazing act of hypocrisy, Gingrich was apparently dating Bisek all during Clinton-Lewinsky adultery scandal, even as he proclaimed family values and bitterly criticized the President for his adultery.

Reporters and other Washington insiders have known about this relationship since 1994, even before Gingrich became Speaker of the House, but did not have any solid proof to report. In 1995, Vanity Fair magazine described Bisek as Gingrich's "frequent breakfast companion." Gingrich was married to Marianne Gingrich during all of that time, and just filed for divorce in August 1999.

Newt is apparently trying to create a new hybrid form, Christian adultery. According to MSNBC, Bisek sings in the National Shrine Choir, and Newt would often wait for her at the Shrine of the Immaculate Conception, listening to her sing while he read the Bible.

This is hardly the first time Newt has cheated, either. "It was common knowledge that Newt was involved with other women during his [first] marriage to Jackie. Maybe not on the level of John Kennedy. But he had girlfriends -- some serious, some trivial." -- Dot Crews, his campaign scheduler throughout the 70s. One woman, Anne Manning, has come forward and confirmed a relationship with him during the 1976 campaign. "We had oral sex. He prefers that modus operandi because then he can say, 'I never slept with her.'"

Kip Carter, his former campaign treasurer, was walking Newt's daughters back from a football game one day and cut across a driveway where he saw a car. "As I got to the car, I saw Newt in the passenger seat and one of the guys' wives with her head in his lap going up and down. Newt kind of turned and gave me this little-boy smile. Fortunately, Jackie Sue and Kathy were a lot younger and shorter then."

Woo what a guy.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 04:30 pm
matter of fact let me just offer this entire link. Fascinating reading.

http://www.realchange.org/gingrich.htm#adultery
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 06:54 am
Newt for Pres might be ok
I really don't care about his adulterous affairs. (I didn't care about Clinton's either.) Newt's a very sharp guy and able to put together a coherent plan to get from here to where he thinks we should be. Compare that to the current dim bulb running the show and he doesn't look that bad. I would like to see where he thinks we should go, but I'm not adverse to listening to his agenda.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:09 am
Nigel from Spinal Tap is a brain surgeon next to the current dim bulb, but Newt Gingrich is a piece of **** with or without his adulterous affairs, IMO.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:17 am
Yeah, ol' Newt is about as low as one gets.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:40 am
I'm with you engineer in that I don't care about who has affairs.

What does bother me is that Newt held himself out there as some big moral force in the world when all the while he was doing the same, and worse, than what he criticized others for doing.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 08:44 am
Could the republicans be stupid enough to nominate Gingrich run for the presidency? It would be a dream come true and a sure democratic victory. I doubt that the religious rabble would vote for him.
0 Replies