http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050412/D89DN8UO0.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,569 • Replies: 30
No top replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:34 am
I do not know if your caption is meant as a joke or at least what you consider a joke or it is a reflection of your thinking. However, to say the least it is highly offensive. That my friend was the theme of the Catholic church for centuries and the platform for it virulent anti-Semitism
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:38 am
It was a joke dude. strictly. Meant to convey the totally unacceptable attitude of our religious right Christian Taliban currently in power, and provoke a little discussion.

I'm surprised you didn't get that.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:48 am
I think to get it we have to read the whole title in one shot, not stop at the end of the third word and gasp in shock and horror. I did the all words in one go thing and it worked for me. That is, I got it. Not bragging of course Very Happy
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:52 am
Yes, I did get it. However, based upon it's use as a justification of Anti-Semitism and the murder of so many innocents through the ages. I find it offensive and it will always elicit a negative and heated response.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 07:53 am
I fear offending au a poster I enjoy reading and interacting with, but to call a jew a christ killer and refer to Bush as the messenger of God in the same sentence I would think would fairly scream that the entire statement is ridiculous.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:02 am
And where in the article cited does the term "Christ killing Jews ignor God's direct messenger" appear? Who made this enflamatory comment? Could it be that this is another outrageous exageration mouthed by a fanatacal partisan dedicated to hating Bush and Conservatives in general?

The AP story you cite describes the recent Bush/Sharon meeting in which the two discussed Israel's pull out from the West Bank. There are obviously disagreements on scheduling and means, but the two leaders appear cordial and in agreement on the basics.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:03 am
blueveinedthrobber
No problem, I got it off my chest. Those are three words that because of their historical consequences and my sensitivity will always set me off.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:03 am
au I think you're being a bit too sensitive. That is exactly the sort of remark that gets the reactionaries screaming about political correctness. They'll be along any minute now.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:08 am
Asherman wrote:
And where in the article cited does the term "Christ killing Jews defy God's Messenger" appear? The AP story describes the recent Bush/Sharon meeting in which the two discussed Israel's pull out from the West Bank. There are obviously disagreements on scheduling and means, but the two leaders appear cordial and in agreement on the basics.

If you can read the headline Sharon Dismisses Bush Warning and take from that that they are cordial and in agreement then good for you.

btw I read and understood the article.

Bush according to 5 years of headlines, reports, interviews and books does not care to be contradicted or disagreed with and it is not hard to conclude that he is defensive about it given the wealth of information written and spoken about him from sources who both like and dislike him.

I think maybe I'll stop defending my position now because it does require defense.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:11 am
goodfielder
It has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with what those three little words have been justification for. How about, Murder, expulsion, forced conversions, massacres and pogroms
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:13 am
In short, you are the person who said "Christ killing Jew ignors God's messenger", and ascribe the insult to Conservatives and President Bush. I see.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:17 am
Getting past the ridiculous title of the thread, what does this mean for the road map? If declaring that land is "of strategic interest" (as water and other natural resources so often are) is grounds to seize it and settle it, what's next? I imagine that those areas are of strategic interest to the Palestinians too, but they don't have the force, financial backing, and means to just take it.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:19 am
Asherman wrote:
In short, you are the person who said "Christ killing Jew ignors God's messenger", and ascribe the insult to Conservatives and President Bush. I see.

No fooling you Asherman. what a guy. Very Happy

I have enjoyed reading your posts Asherman and find that you are well read, have great knowledge on a variety of subjects, extremely articulate (if a bit ascerbic) and have an abundance of the wisdom of years and experience. I enjoy reading your posts. And I am totally sincere when I say this. You're a smarter man than I am.

I would gently suggest though that since we all know it, it's really not necessary for you to be your biggest promoter of these positive attributes every time you speak (or in this case type). To some, it could appear as smugness.
0 Replies

goodfielder

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:27 am
au1929 wrote:
goodfielder
It has nothing to do with political correctness and everything to do with what those three little words have been justification for. How about, Murder, expulsion, forced conversions, massacres and pogroms

au - I'm aware of the persecution of the Jews throughout history. I'm also aware that those same terrible things have happened to other peoples throughout history although other justifications were given for such treatment. The difference between the treatment of Jews and, say, the wars between French Catholics and Huguenots, is the duration and spread.

I'm not for one second minimising the treatment meted out to Jews over thousands of years. I am however saying that this is where the frustration builds concerning political correctness. And it is about political correctness. We're going to have to agree to disagree - and I hope I can do so without being disagreeable as the old saying goes.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 08:52 am
goodfielder
Yes we will have to agree to disagree. However, telling me about others who have suffered persecution really has nothing to do with the discussion. The discussion was about the use of that expression and what it has meant, evoked and justified through the centuries. Christ Killer was the rallying cry at almost every massacre and pogrom.

Over and out.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:03 am
AU I apologize sincerely for offending you and assure you the sentiments in my title do not reflect my own. Not about the Jews anyway.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:05 am
goodfielder wrote:
The difference between the treatment of Jews and, say, the wars between French Catholics and Huguenots, is the duration and spread.

The difference my good friend(and I do enjoy your posts) is that the persecution of the Jews has touched au and myself personally which is not the case with the wars between the Catholics and Huguenots. I dare say there's no one on this forum that has been affected first hand with these wars.
I don't know any specifics in au's case but his reaction was identical to mine, a knee-jerk reaction to 40 years of anti-semitism;sometimes subtle, sometimes overt.
In my case the loss of members of my immediate family in the death camps.The SS papers I hold right now in my hand that spell out the sizable fortune demanded of my grandparents in order to escape with their lives...and nothing else.
The settlement papers from the Swiss banks that are on my desk. A suit that has dragged on for 30 years because the banks would not admit to stealing millions of dollars from families such as mine.

So in summing up: A jew can not be TOO sensitive...it's not in his genes :wink:
I'm not looking for special treatment and I'm sure au isn't either, but when we see titles such as the one my friend BVT put up...we take a deep breath and then exhale in relief.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:34 am
blueveinedthrobber
blueveinedthrobber, there are some words that are better not used lightly in jest as they are historically "fighting words." Their use in the manner you used defeats the purpose of your thread, to have a discussion, because they cause people to focus on the thread title rather than the thread subject. A waste of everyone's energy.

Perhaps if you edited the original title of the thread to be less diverting, we could have an intelligent and informative discussion.

BBB
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 09:35 am
I don't know BBB we seem to have a good discussion going on right here.....
0 Replies