Students don't know tolerence.

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:28 pm
Quote:
UC-Santa Cruz students disrupted a campus job fair that included military recruiters. According to the Santa Cruz Sentinel, more than 200 student anti-war protesters stormed the Stevenson Event Center, "shouting and banging on windows and demanding that military recruiters in the corner of the room leave."

The noisy sit-in ended after an hour of chaos and tension when military representatives vacated their posts. Student protesters hugged each other happily after administrators allowed them to hand out information on alternatives to military careers and agreed to a meeting to discuss future job fairs.

The protesters got exactly what they wanted.

I guess these guys think the freedoms they have came from thin air. Why is it that the college realm is one of intolerence and distrubence. It is these types of people that make me the most mad in life. How many of you think that the govt should pull funding for schools that don't allow military recruiters or other govt agency's go to job fairs?

Army Cadence:

Some say freedom is free
but I tend to disagree
Some say freedom is won at the barrel of a gun.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,047 • Replies: 62
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:38 pm
Sorry, but count me out of your "pull the funding" movement. Colleges can choose who they want at their job fairs.

And while those students were rude, this stuff was going on 35 years ago when Dow Chemical recruiters came to campuses. Somehow the republic survived then and no doubt will do so now...
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:39 pm
I agree that they should be allowed; but I also agree with the protestor's handing out the alternative options. I wouldn't have caused chaos by any means, but maybe set a stack of alternative brochures somewhere near the post, and walk off without causing a stirr.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:49 pm
If you ask them if they believe in freedom of speech, they will say, "Of course," but what they mean by it is "I should be allowed to say what I think, because I'm right." What ignorance. Freedom of speech is most important when it is speech one considers repugnant. Anyone can go along with letting people he agrees with talk.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:55 pm
What's wrong, Baldimo, can't handle a little free speech? If these recruiters are willing to take the chance and show up on college campuses, then students who are p*ssed at Bush and his illegal war have every right to make their sentiments known...

Vietnam brought out a great deal of anger on college campuses.

Iraq could very well do the same. And now with Republicans starting to question Bush's motives and his handling of intelligence, this is only going to get worse.

So is it going to turn into another Kent State? Four dead in O-hi-o?

I wouldn't push it with that blind arrogance of yours...

Barrel of a gun? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 04:57 pm
You're not concerned about them lacking tolerance. You're concerned about them lacking tolerance in something you believe in.

If they had done the same thing and booted gay marriage organizations off campus you'd be praising them for acting on decent Christian beliefs.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:22 pm
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
You're not concerned about them lacking tolerance. You're concerned about them lacking tolerance in something you believe in.

If they had done the same thing and booted gay marriage organizations off campus you'd be praising them for acting on decent Christian beliefs.

Thank you for telling me my own motives. And you know this about me how? Perhaps your extensive familiarity with my life history.

Regardless of any personal qualities I have or lack, what I say is true. Freedom of speech is for people of every political stripe, and is most essential when the speech is unpopular.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:26 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
What's wrong, Baldimo, can't handle a little free speech? If these recruiters are willing to take the chance and show up on college campuses, then students who are p*ssed at Bush and his illegal war have every right to make their sentiments known...

They do, but that is quite a different thing from preventing the recruiters from making their sentiments known.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:32 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

Thank you for telling me my own motives. And you know this about me how? Perhaps your extensive familiarity with my life history.

Regardless of any personal qualities I have or lack, what I say is true. Freedom of speech is for people of every political stripe, and is most essential when the speech is unpopular.

I was speaking to the author of the thread.

paranoia strikes deep...into yor life it will creep Laughing
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:50 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:

I was speaking to the author of the thread.

paranoia strikes deep...into yor life it will creep Laughing

Oops.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:02 pm

I'm not a Christian if you must know. Who are you kidding; people who praise gay marriage are seen as heroes on campus. If some group tried to protest that the students would attack and the school officials would demand that all the protesting students be forced to attend some sort of reeducation classes where tolerance is taught. It happens to this day and you know it does.

Dookiestix wrote:
What's wrong, Baldimo, can't handle a little free speech?

I can handle free speech just fine; it is the students who once again are interfering with others free speech. Have them protest outside the place, not inside where they will cause a disturbance.

Quote:
If these recruiters are willing to take the chance and show up on college campuses, then students who are p*ssed at Bush and his illegal war have every right to make their sentiments known...

The problem is, they are taking it out on the wrong people. The military is just doing their jobs.

Quote:

It only brought anger because of the draft. When the draft stopped, the protests stopped.

Quote:
Iraq could very well do the same. And now with Republicans starting to question Bush's motives and his handling of intelligence, this is only going to get worse.

I would love to see the proof of this. If people questioned this as much as you say they are then why did Bush get so many votes and get back into the Oval Office?

Quote:

That would depend on the protesters.

Quote:

Blind? You need to look through your history books if you think someone else provides you with your freedom.

If you can find a time in place where a bunch of over rated lawyers or reporters protected your freedom then I will believe you. It is the self-sacrifice and bravery of soldiers that do this for you and no one else!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:12 pm
Dwight David Eisenhower-President of the USA/5 star General- on his retirement as President gave a speech explicitly warning to 2 great dangers to american democracy (1) the dominance of the military/industrail complex and (2) the negative power/influence of fed funds into the US University system resulting in dangerous influence on the universities themselves for they would become beholden to the giver rather than the truth.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:20 pm
when I was little my parents bought me an Eisenhower action figure. You wound him up, sat him behind a desk, and watched him do nothing for eight years.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:22 pm
yeah really other than play golf but them he didn't do much harm either.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:26 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Dwight David Eisenhower-President of the USA/5 star General- on his retirement as President gave a speech explicitly warning to 2 great dangers to american democracy (1) the dominance of the military/industrail complex and (2) the negative power/influence of fed funds into the US University system resulting in dangerous influence on the universities themselves for they would become beholden to the giver rather than the truth.

All I'm asking for is equal access to the govt that provides money for the system to run. Why should the govt keep providing money to a system that only wants and doesn't want to give? The students are biting the hand that feeds them.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:32 pm
And what about those students on campus who wanted to learn more about joining the military? They don't get that opportunity because some loud-mouth drives the recruiters off? Who elected the protesters into minitrue? Why do they get to decide who hears what?

If you don't like the message you don't have to listen to it. But stopping other people from hearing it is stepping beyond your rights and stepping on their rights. Create your own message and offer it up too, but not by shouting over the top of someone elses.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:45 pm
Quote:
They do, but that is quite a different thing from preventing the recruiters from making their sentiments known.

Seeing men in uniform with materials to hand out looking to talk to students ISN'T a blatant move on their part in making their sentiments known?

Laughing

I believe EVERYBODY knows what their sentiments are. It's pretty damned obvious...
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:59 pm
Baldimo wrote:

I'm not a Christian if you must know. Who are you kidding; people who praise gay marriage are seen as heroes on campus. If some group tried to protest that the students would attack and the school officials would demand that all the protesting students be forced to attend some sort of reeducation classes where tolerance is taught. It happens to this day and you know it does.

Dookiestix wrote:
What's wrong, Baldimo, can't handle a little free speech?

I can handle free speech just fine; it is the students who once again are interfering with others free speech. Have them protest outside the place, not inside where they will cause a disturbance.
Sorry. They're students, who have every right to be there. More so IMO than the military recruiters.

Quote:
If these recruiters are willing to take the chance and show up on college campuses, then students who are p*ssed at Bush and his illegal war have every right to make their sentiments known...

The problem is, they are taking it out on the wrong people. The military is just doing their jobs.
Oh, really? Who should they be taking it out on?

Quote:

It only brought anger because of the draft. When the draft stopped, the protests stopped.
I give you one chance to guess the "sentiments" of the protestors. My guess is that they were ANGRY. And as rumors fly regarding reinstating the draft (the backdoor draft is in full effect), then that is most likely adding fuel to their anger.

Quote:

I would love to see the proof of this. If people questioned this as much as you say they are then why did Bush get so many votes and get back into the Oval Office?
Because once again, he cheated.

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2005/cr040605.htm

http://www.house.gov/paul/congrec/congrec2005/cr040605.htm

Quote:

That would depend on the protesters.
Who were shot dead by police...

Quote:

Blind? You need to look through your history books if you think someone else provides you with your freedom.

If you can find a time in place where a bunch of over rated lawyers or reporters protected your freedom then I will believe you. It is the self-sacrifice and bravery of soldiers that do this for you and no one else!

I don't question the self-sacrifice our men and women in uniform have given. It is those in power who sent them into this illegal war who I hold in utter contempt.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:06 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
Quote:

Seeing men in uniform with materials to hand out looking to talk to students ISN'T a blatant move on their part in making their sentiments known?

Laughing

I believe EVERYBODY knows what their sentiments are. It's pretty damned obvious...

Does that mean they should be prevented from getting that message out? Just because you don't like it doesn't mean you should intervein.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:35 pm
By Dook:
Quote:
Sorry. They're students, who have every right to be there. More so IMO than the military recruiters.

It's a job fair, everyone who has something to offer is allowed there. They don't like the military so they chase them off. It wasn't a regular student event that was being run by the students, it was more then likely being run by the school. They had a right to be there.

Quote:
Oh, really? Who should they be taking it out on?

Maybe they should be writting their congressmen, or marching on D.C. not harassing the military.

Quote:
I give you one chance to guess the "sentiments" of the protestors. My guess is that they were ANGRY. And as rumors fly regarding reinstating the draft (the backdoor draft is in full effect), then that is most likely adding fuel to their anger.

It was your lefty friends who stated the rumor of the draft, not the admin. Blame them for the students being mad not the recruiters. It goes to show that students don't know squat if they don't know who started this whole talk of a draft. It also shows you don't know squat if you can't remember either.

Just because you don't like the out come you are going to claim cheating. How about you get over your sore loss and move on!

Quote:
Who were shot dead by police...

While tragic, it isn't likely to happen again. As long as the protest is kept peaceful (which they always are right Laughing ) then I'm sure nothing will happen.

Quote:
I don't question the self-sacrifice our men and women in uniform have given. It is those in power who sent them into this illegal war who I hold in utter contempt.

This is almost a complete contradiction of an above post. I guess you don't shoot for consistency.
0 Replies