Prisoners 'killed' at US Base

Asherman

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 10:40 pm
Amen
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Apr, 2003 11:51 pm
So "All Saint's Day" actually is "United States Forces Day".

Ora pro nobis.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 12:16 am
timberlandko wrote:
Valid point, tres, and core to the US argument. However, "Uniform" is subject to interpretation. Something as simple as a distinctive armband or headdress could qualify as a uniform. Therein lies an argument for those who wore particularly colored turbans. That those turbans were either black or white does little to make the issue black or white.

Good point and one that might be fun to debate, but it does not lend credibility to those who feel that the Geneva Convention should apply to everyone, everywhere and at any time. Tracing back to my initial point in this line of discussion, I was attempting to discern whether Booman understood this issue well enough to grasp and debate that very point.

And to dys: When US forces engage in covert ops wherein they are not wearing a recognizable unform of the armed forces of the US, I would not expect them to be entitled to Geneva Convention protections were they captured.

I would of course hope that they would be treated half as humanely as are the vermin being detained at Gitmo, but I would probably be disappointed in that hope.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 04:47 am
timberlandko wrote:
Sure, snood. Men in battle are human. Still, part of the principle behind The Colors is the long traditions of American Servicemembers rising above the norm when faced with the challenges of battle, both physical and ethical. All militaries, like any society, have some bad guys. Our forces tend to the low side of the bad guy scale as a whole, not discounting a very few negative indications. Whether or not the same may be said of Our Leaders, Our Military are pretty much Goodguys.

But we have to believe that, don't we? I mean to believe anything but that would be to question the very foundation of this country. Hell, then we might begin to suspect the motives behind all the "conquests" of men fighting under US banners, huh? We might get crazy thoughts about even the subjugation of this continent - like it was carried out with atrocities against a soverign people, masterminded by men whose chief motive was greed. But I know we don't want to go there.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:19 am
[quote="trespassers will

Quote:
And to dys: When US forces engage in covert ops wherein they are not wearing a recognizable unform of the armed forces of the US, I would not expect them to be entitled to Geneva Convention protections were they captured.
.[/quote]
you continue to rebut comments i did not make, i have said nothing about US Military-covert operations- geneva conventions. i only said that the US has engaged in military ops sans uniforms. i do not understand how you can post reasoned arguments and then continue to argue nonexistent points.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:43 am
Nonsense, snood. The historic record of uS troops invalidates your proposition. I'll grant the subjectivity of "Goodguys" and "Badguys", but US troops are not noted as a whole for their barbarity or for their disregard for civilians. That there are exceptions, individual incidents, is undeniable. Their demonstrated behavior, however, has shown them as a class to be disinclined to wanton, indiscriminate vicious depredation. We've never been big on "Rape, Pillage, and Slaughter", and long have been accorded general respect for our treatment of POWs and of non-combatants. We have our tragic, shameful embarrassments, to be sure. However, as a relative matter, those encountering US troops in a warzone are statistically notably less likely to be the victims of inappropriate treatment than are those encountering the troops of a number of other nations, particularly the troops of a number of nations we have opposed or may be expected to oppose. While war arguably is the most inhumane of enterprises, US practice in the endeavor is not characterized by atrocity as an operational norm. Our foes are fortunate, as such things go.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 09:14 am
Timber,
...Do you believe all the stories you hear about U.S. atrocities in Viet Nam, or the imprisonment of American citizens in WWll, or do you think it's forgivable because other countries may have a higher body count that we do?...As for as we know.

Tres.
...Any chance you could address my statements, instead of questioning my intellect, because you disagree with me? I try to joke about it, but this is getting serious. People like you take all the fun out of debating.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:39 am
dyslexia wrote:
trespassers will wrote:

you continue to rebut comments i did not make, i have said nothing about US Military-covert operations- geneva conventions. i only said that the US has engaged in military ops sans uniforms. i do not understand how you can post reasoned arguments and then continue to argue nonexistent points.

With respect, I wasn't trying to "rebut" anything, I was responding to your statement "the united states military has on more than once occasion engaged in combat activities sans uniforms of any kind" in order to let you know my thoughts on the point you made.

I referred to covert ops because I assume that any time our soldiers are not in uniform--as you stated they sometimes are--they are taking covert action. Assume I am wrong if you like, but it doesn't change my point, nor does it change the fact that I was replying directly to your point.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 10:43 am
Booman wrote:
Tres.
...Any chance you could address my statements, instead of questioning my intellect, because you disagree with me? I try to joke about it, but this is getting serious. People like you take all the fun out of debating.

Boo - I was not questioning your intellect, I was questioning your knowledge of the Geneva Convention, which you admitted was lacking. How is that ME questioning your INTELLECT? Rolling Eyes

Try thickening up that skin a bit. That might put some of the fun back in it for you.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 01:36 pm
BTW

Today is "St. Walter of Pontnoise's Day" - St. Walter is the patron of POW's.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 04:13 pm
There's a lovely piece of (il)legality in which it is revealed that the US Military are hiding under Fidel Castro's skirts! We knew it to be true, but we are now witnessing the argument being used in court where a group has filed to allow Guantanamo detainees access to legal counsel. The government is countering with the fact (another one of those "technicalities") that the US court has no jurisdiction over Guantanamo because it is Cuban territory. Thank you, Fidel, for bailing out OUR little dictators...! !Arriba Bush! !Enhorabuena!Ahora sois cubanos como nosotros!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 04:56 pm
timberlandko wrote:
The historic record of uS troops invalidates your proposition. I'll grant the subjectivity of "Goodguys" and "Badguys", but US troops are not noted as a whole for their barbarity or for their disregard for civilians. [..] We've never been big on "Rape, Pillage, and Slaughter" [..] as a relative matter, those encountering US troops in a warzone are statistically notably less likely to be the victims of inappropriate treatment than are those encountering the troops of a number of other nations

From a birds eye view, generally, you are correct. Just last month I was in Vienna. The host of our meeting told us the story of how the city had remained, like Berlin, divided up into different military zones for years after WW2 - American zone, British zone, French zone, Soviet zone. Much like Kosovo was shared up in zones of military oversight after the war there finished. In Vienna's case, it lasted some ten years. One odd thing: in Vienna, the old town was rotated. Every month (I think it was), control switched to another of the four former Allies. Whenever it was the Soviets' turn, the population panicked. Many would flee, temporarily, to family elsewhere until control switched again. The Soviet soldiers were notorious, for looting, for violence, for rape. The Americans were a blessing in comparison, though not any more than the Brits or the French.

There have been exceptions, in today's world as well, and the name of the US army would profit if Army command would be less inclined to consider each of its soldiers part of a fortress to be defended at any cost against anyone. The fury about the US soldier who raped that girl in - Korea?; about the other soldier who caused the death of many by his reckless flying stunts in Italy - that fury was at least as much about the Army's insistence to ship those soldiers safely out of reach of the country's judicial system asap, allowing them to get off with mere internal reprisals, as about the acts of cruelty or stupidity they had actually done.

But the real exceptions come twofold, of course. The One Really Big One is: Vietnam. 'Nuff said.

The second one is more nuanced. It's about US foreign policy strategy. Yes, in general US soldiers may, overall, turn out to be "safer" occupation or liberation armies than other countries'. But in how many of the military conflicts the US government has instigated or been involved in, especially during the Cold War, has the US government opted to fight by proxy? Leave the US soldiers their (relatively) clean hands - instead, fund, arm and train paramilitaries of the cruellest, most merciless kind. Whether in South- or Central-America or in Africa.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 05:28 pm
trespassers will wrote:
Booman wrote:
Tres.

Boo - I was not questioning your intellect, I was questioning your knowledge of the Geneva Convention, which you admitted was lacking. How is that ME questioning your INTELLECT? Rolling Eyes

Try thickening up that skin a bit. That might put some of the fun back in it for you.

Tres, all due respect, but you question a whole lot of folks' intellect.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 05:51 pm
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 06:38 pm
In a further re: to Timber's post:

though it may be true that US soldiers, overall, have behaved in more disciplined ways than the soldier of "a number of nations we have opposed", that doesnt necessarily make the US troops examples of best practice either, when it comes to winning the peace as well as the war.

Translated the article below from newspaper, and it struck a chord. I remember that volunteer aid workers in Kosovo I spoke to were less than happy with the military rule in the American zones. Very much the "hands-off" approach noted below, with soldiers seemingly digging in, and looking down on the aid and peace-building work going on around them. Either the British or the French zone was appraised much more positively; with the soldiers and commanders ruling the area provisionally being said to be helpful and co-operative in allowing, or even helping out with projects.

A lesson to perhaps take to heart if this is indeed going to be "only the beginning".

Quote:
(My) translation from NRC Handelsblad,
http://www.nrc.nl/irak/artikel/1049260973121.html

Quote:
British commanders express criticism of 'unnecessary violence'

'Americans are trigger happy'

Some American soldiers in Iraq behave themselves behind the front like cowboys, say British colleagues. The Brits put on their berets instead of helmets as soon as they can, and carry the gun on their back, not in front of the chest.

By Hans and Menno Steketee

LONDEN/ROTTERDAM, 2 APRIL. British commanders have expressed serious criticism of what they call unnecessarily violent behaviour by American militaries behind the front in Iraq. Unarmed civilians have been killed in the process.

The American conduct, that is said to come forth from an "obsession" with personal security, hinders coalition attempts to portray the war as a war of liberation and not as an occupation of Iraq. "There is a very significant hearts and minds-challenge and we are not interested in gratuitous violence", says the highest British military, General Michael Jackson. Other British militaries have anonymously labelled the Americans the last few days as "trigger happy cowboys".

Brits claim to operate more subtly both in patrols in 'liberated' areas and at road blocks. In parts of 'their' zone around Basra, outside the area where there is still fighting, the Brits have exchanged their helmets for a more friendly looking beret. Furthermore they carry the gun on their back, and not in front of their chest. They patrol by foot and don't wear sunglasses, so that they can make eye contact with the population.

The Americans, on the other hand, always wear their complete battle gear and are said to hardly ever leave their vehicles. That aloofness according to the British leads to fear and distrust among the Iraqis and also has led to incidents, such as monday in Najaf, where Americans shot dead seven women and children in a van.

"The difference in conduct between British and Americans is shocking", says Christopher Bellamy, professor in military science at Cranfield University and author of a standard work on peacekeeping aftr armed conflict. "The Americans are paranoid about their own safety. The British are better used to dealing with the risks after thirty years in Northern Ireland and years as UN peacekeepers in the Balkans".

When NATO ground troops pulled into Kosovo after the 1999 war against Yugoslavia, British officers bitingly commented the attitude of the American soldiers. The first thing they did was roll out the barbed wire and fill sandsacks to pull back behind. "How can you expect the population to trust you when the opposite is very clearly not the case?", says one of them.

British militaries have for some time now harbored reservations about the so-called 'warrior-culture' within the American army, in which military tasks outside the direct battle are considered inferior. "They consider peacekeeping as something for softies", says Lord Guthrie, the British former chief of staff, after the Americans last year refused to commit themselves to peace troops in Afghanistan. Condoleeza Rice, the American national security advisor, confirmed that impression by saying that "the 82nd Airborne Division is not meant to bring children to the nursery". [..]

British troops, who are setting up an administration in the port city of Umm Qasr after the battles, say that the relations with the civilian population have been damaged badly by the AMerican soldiers who fought there earlier. A British officer told press agency Reuters how Americans who accompanied him to his headquearters fired off a volley of shots, "as a warning", at a house from which they had been shot at a few days before. "We would never do such a thing", said the officer. [..] British men who were involved in building up relations with the local population in the south, are said now to have been flown to aid the American advance guards. [..]

According to Bellamy it would be incorrect to think that the Brits can afford to take a more subtle attitude because their zone is relatively safe. "In Iraq it is impossible to see the battle separate from so-called peace support operations", says Bellamy. [..] "The most effective peacekeepers are hardened professional soldiers who nevertheless maintain contacts with the local population". The area around Basra is according to him extremely complex [..], because it incorporates swamps, canals, urban and industrial areas. The risk of suicide bombings is just as big there as in the American zones.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Tue 8 Apr, 2003 09:30 pm
Violence is the american way. This country was founded by people slaughtering the inhabitants, offtimes women and children. ...70& of americans favor capitol punishmen, even though it's not a deterant, and kills innocents...When Bush was on TV, boasting about the people he had killed on death row, he had a gleam in his eye, reminiscent of a man speaking of sexual conquests. I believe the main difference in Bush, and Hussein, is the constitution.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 11:18 am
dyslexia wrote:

Fair enough. I'll try to work on that.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 11:21 am
Booman wrote:
Violence is the american way. This country was founded by people slaughtering the inhabitants, offtimes women and children. ...70& of americans favor capitol punishmen, even though it's not a deterant, and kills innocents...When Bush was on TV, boasting about the people he had killed on death row, he had a gleam in his eye, reminiscent of a man speaking of sexual conquests. I believe the main difference in Bush, and Hussein, is the constitution.

Can you provide us with a reference (link?) regarding the televised moment(s) to which you refer. I am not aware of this "boasting" to which you refer, and would like to see for myself.
0 Replies

Booman

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:10 pm
It was in one of the debates. when I mentoned it before, I got the impression other's had this image burned in their brain, also. It was an eerie sight, Tres.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 10 Apr, 2003 05:25 pm
Booman wrote:
It was in one of the debates. when I mentoned it before, I got the impression other's had this image burned in their brain, also. It was an eerie sight, Tres.

The scene of Bush Jr. "burned into" my memory was the one when he made fun of the woman about to be put to death in Texas.
0 Replies