Ther media gets under my skin

au1929

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:40 am
There is a hostage situation going on in NJ at the present time. It is just the cannon fodder that the news media loves. They have managed to capture all available "experts" on hostage situations and are going full blast on the why's and how of hostage taking up to and including the one ongoing.

I am sure everyone has seen similar situations where the media stays on the air repeating the same gibberish over and over.

Question do you appreciate such reporting or is the media too damned intrusive and repetitive? I know they sure do get under my skin. It is as grating as someone scraping their nails on a blackboard.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 693 • Replies: 6
No top replies

smog

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:08 pm
Pretty much all reporting bores me to no end.
0 Replies

rodeman

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:16 pm
I couldn't agree with you more. The media will glam onto a story and beat it to death. With all the cable news we have (24/7) I realize they have time to fill, but spread the coverage around. I'm sure there's more than one news story per day.
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:21 pm
As someone who hopes to someday earn the title 'journalist,' it does make me shake my head in disbelief at the length these "journalists" go to get a good story, or to cover it endlessly. I believe that the issue should be covered - but perhaps only once. Even if they do re-air the event, I am not content (in any way) with their on-going coverage, the hours upon hours of endless 'expert input' and whatever the hell else they find to fill the time slot. From 9/11 to the recent death of the Pope - I am disgusted by it all. Respectable stories are slaughtered by television media (even the newspapers are getting outrageous! Our last hope is slowing turning for the worst as well), and it gets to the point where I just lose all interest in the event/tragedy period, due to this over-coverage. I don't think it's fair to the victims of whatever is going on at the time, and I don't think it's fair for the public who is forced to see the coverage 24/7 whenever they turn on the TV. My opinion? Oust CNN, Fox and MSNBC all together, keep with the local news and maybe the Headline Updates, but that's all! I'm sick of it; it definitely makes my future goals as a possible journalist more apparent.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:27 pm
It's bad enough when they overdo a real story. How about the local weathercaster standing outside in a heavy rainstorm so that we can all see what a rainstorm looks like?
0 Replies

Sanctuary

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:41 pm
flyboy804 wrote:
It's bad enough when they overdo a real story. How about the local weather caster standing outside in a heavy rainstorm so that we can all see what a rainstorm looks like?

Laughing Try living in Oklahoma! The only thing we have here is weather.

Try this on for size: We have three of the most prestigious Meteorologists working at three different stations; News 5 has just gotten 'Advance Doppler Radar,' (oh, and we know about it. They find a way to throw the name of their new toy into every newscast. Did you know that it can get down to the very street addresses, to inform us of where the storm is heading? Of course you did, they remind you every four seconds) the most powerful weather-tracking system in the country. News 4 has just gotten a new doppler that "is stationed miles away from other stations' dopplers, where the real weather happens, in order to keep you safer," and News 9 has the most recognized Meteorologist in the country, Gary England.

Now you try telling me that there isn't competition going on there. The slightest hail storm...

Storm Tracker (they are common names in our households, due to the kind of weather we get here): Oh my God, Rick! This is amazing. With our new Advanced Doppler Radar, I can get awesome readings on this baby. We've got some pea-sized hail heading towards I-45 in Norman, looks like it will be approaching 2141 Meench Dr., home to Mr. and Ms. Robinson, in Moore in about..oohh...4.78947 minutes. Let's keep an eye out, folks! This has been Eye Witness News Five, keeping you ahead of the storm!!"

I kid you not. I mean hell, I'm proud of our weather-tracking abilities, and God knows we need it out here in Tornado-Alley, but it gets exhausting sometimes.

I will now leave you with one of my most favorite comedy skits, as preformed by the Skylar Brothers on Comedy Central:

Chopper 4

Chopper 4 - We Opened fire on Channel 7's pussy New Van...and Chopper 4 was the first on the scene to bring you the bloody photos! Chopper 4? Chopper 4!

Chopper 4 went down Mysteriously in the Hudson River....And Chopper 4 was First on the Scene!
Coincidence....OR CHOPPER 4?
The way We see it, We're Twice as Good as Chopper 2...
Chopper 4!
Channel 7 May have a Van... But can that Bitch FLY!?
CAN IT!?
CHOPPER 4!
Soon the entire News Broadcast will be brought to you from directly inside Chopper 4.
News - Chopper 4!
Sports - Chopper 4!
Weather - Chopper 4!
Traffic - Traffic strangely enough will still be in the Studio...
BUT FOR EVERYTHING ELSE IT'S CHOPPER 4!
Who's Your News Source? Chopper 4!
Who's Your Eye in the Sky? Chopper 4!
Who Shot Tupac Sakur!? CHOPPER 4!

Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 01:55 pm
Dirty Laundry
Don Henley

I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use