Oooh, those brainy, college Republicans...

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:18 am
Warrior And Chums
From Democraticunderground.com

And finally, the artist formerly known as "The Ultimate Warrior" (now apparently just plain "Warrior" for some reason) made a professional wrestling-sized ass of himself at the University of Connecticut last week, choke-slamming the UConn College Republicans in the process. Former WWF star Warrior had apparently been invited by the College Republicans to speak about... well, actually that's not entirely clear. But Warrior is a radical right-wing nutcase, so presumably that's all the reason they needed. Unfortunately Warrior was a little too nutty even for the College Republicans, "screaming and stomping on the stage," according to liveaudiowrestling.com, and provoking the crowd into a frenzy. The evening turned sour when Warrior answered an Iranian student's question by telling him that he needed to "get a towel," and pontificated on such subjects as why "Queering don't make the world work." Which is a bit odd coming from a guy who used to make a living publicly groping a steady stream of greased-up bodybuilders in leotards.

Anyway, it turns out that the UConn College Republicans were a tad embarrassed by the debacle, issuing a profoundly apologetic press release the next day. They made sure to mention that they were sending individual letters of apology to, "the Rainbow Center, AQUA, QUAD, the African American Cultural Center, the Asian American Cultural Center, the Puerto Rican/Latin American Cultural Center, the Iranian Students Association, and the Women's Center." Oh, and in case you were wondering, "this is not a complete list of the groups that will receive a direct written apology from the College Republicans." Good lord.

But the story doesn't end there: the College Republicans' press release provoked a hilarious outburst "From the Desk Of Warrior" where he announced (in the third person!) that "All of the above notwithstanding, it is somewhat sad to see how utterly spineless the UConn College Republicans have turned out to be. Not a single UConn CR voiced any objection to Warrior after the event. The detailed emails between Warrior and the UConn CRs reveal that the CRS repeatedly encouraged Warrior to single out the Tent City Trash for some re-education. Yet, it now seems that the CRS have collectively decided to bow down and beg forgiveness from various extremist, anti-American, left-wing groups who infest the UConn campus. Perhaps the UConn CRS should refrain from engaging in political activism until such time as they develop enough backbone to be able to withstand not being liked by their opponents."

Ooh, smackdown!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,553 • Replies: 26
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 09:53 am
http://www.homestarrunner.com/vcr_sb.html

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail1.html

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail3.html
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:13 am
College Republicans disavow a bigot and it's cause for ridicule?

Hyper-partisanship makes for strange bedfellows on occasion.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:41 am
maybe ucon cons need to take some steroids so they can go mano a mano with hemen like warrior and ahnold.

incidentally, if you're reading this, craven dk, i wasn't knowingly abetting a spammer trying to post 500 times; i was just partaking of silliness.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:10 am
I don't think Lord is a spammer and he probably didn't mean anything by it but we still need to worry about load, there are only so many posts that can be made a day with a set of hardware, to accommodate more it costs more money and time and mass posting for those purposes wastes those resources.

Anywho, let's not derail this thread.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:20 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Anywho, let's not derail this thread.

Yes, but your new spamming topic is much more interesting ... and might just have a point.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 11:54 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
College Republicans disavow a bigot and it's cause for ridicule?

Hyper-partisanship makes for strange bedfellows on occasion.

The bigot part is cause for ridicule.

The fact that he was able to offend so many different people is definitely amusing.

The apology by the organization is gracious.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 12:31 pm
The shortsightedness by these college Republicans is stunning...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 05:19 pm
DrewDad wrote:

The bigot part is cause for ridicule.

The fact that he was able to offend so many different people is definitely amusing.

The apology by the organization is gracious.

I feel the same way, however the initial post in this thread seems to be lampooning the organization for apologizing and perpetuating the ignorant bigot's "smackdown" of their graciousness.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 06:09 pm
The fact that the organization had to apologize so profoundly and so profusely speaks volumes. How could these "intelligent" college Republicans NOT know that this would happen? I thought colleges were designed for intellectual "diversity?" How does having a WWF wrestling star appearing on behalf of college Republicans promote their goal of diversifying intellectual "diversity?"
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:36 pm
I think that they were willing to apologize speaks more profoundly.

They had the misfortune to invite a guest who they later found objectionable. This might be a lack of foresight but that they don't endorse his position speaks much more loudly about them than a lapse in selecting a speaker.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 07:56 pm
Is this the first time I've heard of a Republican of any stripe apologizing for anything since Newt told never to do so?

Is it?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:13 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
How does having a WWF wrestling star appearing on behalf of college Republicans promote their goal of diversifying intellectual "diversity?"

Ya gotta have somebody from the bottom of the bell-curve if you want true intellectual diversity.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 11 Apr, 2005 08:13 pm
Then again, inviting a Neanderthal to speak could be seen as supporting the theory of evolution....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 01:30 am
I WAS wondering - happy as I am re the apologies - quite what he was expected to say?

The wrestler idea seems a little odd, in and of itself - although oddities once explained are often no longer odd.
0 Replies

Dookiestix

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:01 am
dlowan:

Thanx for reinforcing the whole point of this thread.

Just what WERE those crazy, wacky college Republicans thinking? Shocked
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:26 am
You have to not only know your target audience, but also the direction your speaker is going to go. This was clearly not a well thought out seminar.
Just because a person is a "neanderthal" wrestler, doesn't mean they have nothing meaningful to contribute. Some of these guys are academics to some degree (having known a few myself, I was shocked at their political awareness), and are unfairly thrown under the same blanket as Andre the Giant and Macho Man Randy Savage.

Men like Sean Hannity have views that might make a moderate conservative cringe, but nevertheless has a rather large following among those in that place on the right side of the spectrum. Clearly, this crowd was the wrong audience for this speaker....but I'm sure he has a niche somewhere on the right.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:34 am
Dookiestix wrote:
dlowan:

Thanx for reinforcing the whole point of this thread.

Just what WE'RE those crazy, wacky college Republicans thinking? Shocked

could be they wanted some publicitiy, in which case they got it in spades, although it may not be the type of publicity they wanted.
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:42 am
candidone1 wrote:
You have to not only know your target audience, but also the direction your speaker is going to go. This was clearly not a well thought out seminar.
Just because a person is a "neanderthal" wrestler, doesn't mean they have nothing meaningful to contribute. Some of these guys are academics to some degree (having known a few myself, I was shocked at their political awareness), and are unfairly thrown under the same blanket as Andre the Giant and Macho Man Randy Savage..

jesse the body politic ventura was at least as well qualified to be governor as ahnold, imo. after all, they appeared in some of the same movies: predator & running man, to name two. going back to the warrior, they should have rehearsed his speech before he gave it; he may well have been playing a heel, something most wrestling veterans do quite well.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:52 am
yitwail wrote:
could be they wanted some publicitiy, in which case they got it in spades, although it may not be the type of publicity they wanted.

Right, or even just attracting people to their event. Famous person who's on our side! Gonna be crazy! Come check it out!
0 Replies