Gay marriages and adopting children

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 02:07 pm
I'd like to know if anyone is involved in adopting children by gay marriages? What are your views/comments/objections .. and can anyone of you link me to a website or an organization or article that would argue on such a debate?

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,304 • Replies: 5
No top replies

aidan

Reply Sat 9 Apr, 2005 03:41 pm
Vonderjohn - After I adopted my daughter - I worked for the adoption agency in Maine from which we had adopted her. I met and worked with several gay couples (of both genders) who adopted children. My experience was that they were wonderful, committed people who became incredible parents. I have to admit I did have qualms - mainly for the kids and how they would deal with things when they became old enough to be aware of the situation and maybe feel embarrassed and different, etc. - but when I saw the families that were created - my feelings were primarily positive. Don't have any links to give you - just actual real life anectdotal evidence.
0 Replies

vonderjohn

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 10:22 am
"just actual real life anectdotal evidence. "

This is much important to me more than links !

It's interesting you've met such people. Do you think the children of those homosexuals will grow up as sexually normal human beings? Their sexual tendencies won't be affected by the fact they have gay parents?

Do you see this aspect widespreading? Why do you think so?

Isn't that dangerous? Especially that religion bans such issues?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 02:12 pm
I don't think their sexuality will be affected by whom their parents are. It is my belief that a person's sexuality is not determined by extraneous factors such as lifestyle or choice. Just as I did not make a conscious choice to be heterosexual - I just am - I believe the same is true of those who are homosexual. So, no, I don't believe that gays adopting children will cause an increase in the number of people who are homosexual. In terms of religious beliefs I decided a long time ago to leave judgement to God- or to the rest of the people here on earth who are so into judging other people. I'm just not interested in spending my time that way.
0 Replies

watchmakers guidedog

Reply Sun 10 Apr, 2005 09:41 pm
vonderjohn wrote:
Do you think the children of those homosexuals will grow up as sexually normal human beings? Their sexual tendencies won't be affected by the fact they have gay parents?

Not much, several of my friends have gay parents. Hasn't really affected them in any way that I've noticed except to make them more tolerant.

Quote:
Isn't that dangerous?

Why would it be?

Quote:
Especially that religion bans such issues?

Religion frequently acts stupidly, basing your decisions on that are unlikely to lead to positive outcomes. Perhaps if they didn't ban everything under the sun like touching a menstruating woman or eating shellfish then people would take them more seriously.
0 Replies

KelleyF11

Reply Wed 13 Apr, 2005 04:56 am
Religion frequently acts stupidly, basing your decisions on that are unlikely to lead to positive outcomes. Perhaps if they didn't ban everything under the sun like touching a menstruating woman or eating shellfish then people would take them more seriously.

This is statement is way out of line.No offense. It's obvouis you are not a religious person or you would know more about it. Relious leaders believe that being gay is not a choice, but something you are born with. Even thought gay marraiges are banned, gay people are not. I have taken the adoption classes and am presently in the middle of trying to adopt my foster children. There were many same sexed couples there. More than heterosexual couples as a matter of fact. Exteremely wonderful people. Very into becoming a parent and you could tell they were much more prepared than most. There was also a priest at the classes speaking with the adoptive couples. He was very warm and open minded to everone there. We talked privately and he made a remark that he believes God had a plan for homosexual couples. He feels that because they can't reproduce they are here to be wonderful parents to the abandonded children of the world. He was very sincere and very grateful to see so many loving gay couples.
0 Replies