What prompted Al Qaeda's terrorism against the US.

steissd

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 02:12 pm
Oil for Americans, it is also in favor of the USA.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 03:35 pm
This administration knew it was going to war way back in the early 90's!
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 03:36 pm
And it wants the next, and the next and the next war for war's sake. This type of administration would pick and peck and hunt and scratch until it found a war - any war, just so there's a war!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 04:16 pm
Personally, I'd like to see as much US attention given to resolving the mess in The Holy Land ... with no undue favoritism shown to Israel. That in itself would call for a mind-set change among Israel's neighbors. On the other hand, a large US military Presence could inhibit both Arab-State aggression and Stateless aggression, along with Israeli aggression. While we probably can't make them freinds, we should be able to keep them from fighting with one another. Of course, then, they'd probably want to fight with us.

Its a safe bet we're going to be distracted by Korea for a while, diverting attention and resources. This War on Terrorism is a burdensome thing. It already is a World War in the classic sense, and Iraq, Afghanistan and Manhattan, The Philipines, Africa, The Holy Land and perhaps soon Korea are but individual battles, at most separate campaigns, in The War on Terrorism as opposed to distinct wars in and of themselves. Al Queda, HAMAS, FARC, any number of acronymic "Liberation Armies" are but individual units of the Enemy Forces. More units will be encountered. More battles are likely.

The effects of this war will have as much influence on the frst half of this century as had WWII on the Twentieth Century. There is no cause for surprise should this war prove to be as lengthy, and as disquieting, as did either of the previous two World Wars (the consequences of which have resulted in the current state of affairs).

timber
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 04:19 pm
And as upsetting to the balance of world power?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 04:35 pm
I imagine there will be significant adjustment to The Balance of Power. There will be a very different Global Political Structure.
I doubt, however there will be much difference in the proportion of Global Power held by The US.

Untill China comes of age ... which will probably take something less than a generation. That is a most disturbing prospect, and one which receives scant attention.

timber
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 04:46 pm
About solving Mideastern conflict: some positive changes can be observed here. Arafat agreed Abu Mazen to be appointed a prime-minister and to share power with the latter. Abu-Mazen is not moderate, but he is pragmatic, and he opposes terror. If he succeeds in achieving armistice, then the negotiations on the creation of the Palestinian state may be resumed, and it will be formed. Israeli requirements regarding political process are very moderate: its security is to be provided. If the latter condition is met, no settlers will be able to prevent establishment of the Palestinian state: they will be forcefully evacuated by the IDF, just as were evacuated settlers from Sinai when it became possible toi sign a peace treaty with Egypt.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 05:00 pm
It would be nice if you are right timber, however, it may also be very wrong! There certainly is no balance going in and there appears to be more hatred on the way from areas other than Islam.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 06:58 pm
Why
"What prompted Al Qaeda's terrorism"?
I've read 2000+ news articles and I don't know.
The American media is not interested in publishing this information because it seems there's no audience for it. We're more interested in fighting and dominating than learning to understand and appreciate the richness of other cultures. Caring about other human beings is not America's strong point.

One example: try to find how many innocent civilians have been killed by Americans in the name of "that's just war", not much different from Al-Queda's "war". You won't find this information. You are not allowed to know that over 5,000 innocent women, children, and men (many who never heard of Al-Qaeda) have been killed by America in the "war" against the other guys terrorism. I had to search for ten hours before finding some estimates!

Given the lack of information, one can only imagine what life must be like for human beings living in the Middle East. But when I read stories like this one, and mentally multiply it by 10,000 then it's pretty obvious why someone would attack the U.S.
As a patriotic American I certainly would.

A loosely organized culture of people, in any country,
is no match for a direct and focussed corporate strategy to move on in.
I have to imagine that people go on suicide missions in order to
save their families, their culture and honor, their way of life.
I don't see any Americans who are that courageous yet.

I still believe the spirit of the American people can overcome the greed of their own government and the "protected interests" of it's lobby groups. But it's going to take a lot of individuals asking a lot of questions.

Like this one.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 08:22 pm
au

If you have the notion already that religious differences or religious intolerance fully addresses the cause for 'al Quaeda hatred of the US', then perhaps you should have set out that thesis at the beginning.

But the immediate problem that seems to appear for this thesis is that such sentiment (though manifesting differently, and not so severe) is not by any means unique to al Quaeda. If that is so, then your thesis gets to only a part of a full causal explanation.

I very much doubt you will find this a simple question to answer, or that those of us here will be able to help you satisfactorily. In the link below, the html links in blue are available for no cost, and you'll get some of Bernard Lewis's writing here. Understanding Islam will necessarily be part of your project. http://www.nybooks.com/archives/search?author_name=&title=Islam&reviewed_author=&reviewed_item=&form=&year=
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 10 Mar, 2003 08:50 pm
what prompted the invasion (crusades) of the middle east? in short the causes were religion, politics and economics. my my how times have changed!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:06 am
Blatham
I certainly do not know all the reasons for Al Qaeda's terrorism against the US. However, in my opinion a Religion plays a major roll. As it has in a good many of the conflicts through the ages. As for it not being a simple question to answer that is quite obvious. All we can give is opinion which is some times backed up by historical data and at other times pure conjecture. Why would you expect anything different? I should also note that we continually reference links written by experts to qualify our positions. I would point out that these too are ofttimes just opinions. There are very few absolutes.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 08:35 am
au1929 wrote:
There are very few absolutes

Absolutely.

timber
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:11 am
Hi, just joined the thread.

If you want to get some good information on this topic, this article from a recent speech by Norman Mailer is excellent:

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/16166

It's long, and it's detailed, but it's worth persevering with.

McT
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:23 am
McTag

Nice to see you. The Mailer piece is very good. For a drinking, fighting, womanizing novelist, he often has a fresh and interesting take on things, and this is an example.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 09:43 am
au

My apologies if my posts seem obvious or patronizing. I responded as I have simply because I think the 'religion causes difference' to be a faulty thesis, and that religion is not itself causal. This is a fairly long and complex argument to make in a forum like this and on a particular thread such as this one, and I don't really want to procede with it in any throrough way.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:06 am
blatham
Think nothing of it. Everyone is entitled to his/her opinion.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:11 am
au, it is also obvious (unfortunately) that religion is leaking into America's response to 9/11 also!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:47 am
Bill
I do not believe that religion is leaking into America's response to 9/11. I do believe however, that there is a religious war being waged in the US. Our present government is intent on destroying the principle of separation of church and state and is intent on imposing what they consider to be religiously correct upon us.
0 Replies

trespassers will

Reply Tue 11 Mar, 2003 10:49 am
<deleted>
0 Replies