When to seek for professional help?

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 02:50 pm
Hi ladies

I am an unhappily married woman for the last 2 years. Me and husband live like two room mates under the same roof. I want to change but am unsure whether that would be something he wants too.

I guess my question is at what stage would you go and seek for professional help? If your husband is not on aboard with the idea of counselling, would you go ahead by yourself?

Any comments would be highly appreciated!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 414 • Replies: 4
No top replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 02:52 pm
@healthylifevault,
Absolutely. Why not.

If you are unhappy, seeing a therapist seems like a perfectly reasonable thing to do. You can't force your husband if he is not on-board. You can take care of yourself.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 10 Jan, 2019 03:58 pm
Seems like you’re putting the cart before the horse, borrowing trouble etc when you haven’t even talked about this with him.

That seems like the logical first step, rather then wasting time wondering “what if?”
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2019 04:34 am
@healthylifevault,
Presumably you've tried everything you can think of to work things out / get them headed in the direction that will make you happy.

If he doesn't want to attend counselling, then it's a good thing for you to attend by yourself - in order to help clarify things for you. You are after all, seeking counselling / clarity for yourself here, on a forum. No different in reasoning to seeing a counsellor, except they are trained, can dedicate time to you, can engage in quick question & answer exchange, etc.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Fri 11 Jan, 2019 08:01 am
Do you think your husband would not “be on board” to counseling?

You say you are not sure how he feels about the marriage. Has he expressed unhappiness about what’s going on?
0 Replies