I Have A Great Idea Politically

Dookiestix

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:02 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
blueveinedthrobber wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You really do seem to have come up with an astonishingly good idea here. I might even be willing to kick in some money.

I'll want to sweep it for electronic devices...

My desire for you to succeed is sincere, believe me. There is only one suggestion for improvement I could make. Proximity to the US might result in some contamination that nobody wants. I hear that many parts of Africa and Asia have excellent weather all year around.

Naw, forget Africa. Some of the best weather is right here in the Bay Area. Besides, the only contamination California offers is a huge economic engine for you folks still living in Dumbf**kinstan. What WOULD you poor folk do without the 5th largest trend setting economy in the world?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:04 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You really do seem to have come up with an astonishingly good idea here. I might even be willing to kick in some money.

My desire for you to succeed is sincere, believe me. There is only one suggestion for improvement I could make. Proximity to the US might result in some contamination that nobody wants. I hear that many parts of Africa and Asia have excellent weather all year around.

]
Don't worry about unwanted contamination Brandon old buddy...part of the plan is to take steps to ensure that you neo cons won't infect us. You're so busy eating yourselves alive.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:11 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

]
Don't worry about unwanted contamination Brandon old buddy...part of the plan is to take steps to ensure that you neo cons won't infect us. You're so busy eating yourselves alive.

Sure, sure, whatever you say is fine. Just so long as you go ahead with your plan.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 01:41 pm
I love B-U-R-L-I-N-G-T-O-N!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:20 pm
Hmmm.....

Sounds like Cascadia. But I like Commonsenseica better.

"Now is the time for the citizens of Cascadia to demand their freedom from the oppressive governments of Canada and the United States. For too long have our people put up with indifference and condescendence from distant seats of power. We have been subject to francophonic imperialism and wasteful spending of our tax money. Our entrepreneurs have been attacked by the so-called justice system for merely doing their jobs and growing our economy. When will we say enough is enough?

The former American states of Oregon and Washington and the former Canadian province of British Columbia must join together as a sovereign nation. Only then can we have self-determination and take our rightful place in the Global Community."

http://zapatopi.net/cascadia/casflagbg.gif
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:29 pm
boomerang wrote:
Hmmm.....

Sounds like Cascadia. But I like Commonsenseica better.

"Now is the time for the citizens of Cascadia to demand their freedom from the oppressive governments of Canada and the United States. For too long have our people put up with indifference and condescendence from distant seats of power. We have been subject to francophonic imperialism and wasteful spending of our tax money. Our entrepreneurs have been attacked by the so-called justice system for merely doing their jobs and growing our economy. When will we say enough is enough?

The former American states of Oregon and Washington and the former Canadian province of British Columbia must join together as a sovereign nation. Only then can we have self-determination and take our rightful place in the Global Community."

http://zapatopi.net/cascadia/casflagbg.gif

I like it.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:31 pm
Let's invoke the nuclear option; straight majority vote, Democrat vs. Republican....
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:33 pm
The Cascadia notion made some sense a few decades ago, but things have gotten a bit complicated. The influx of Californians (a certain type of Californian) in Oregon diluted that state's progressive tradition. Same phenomenon here in WA. Now the no-taxers in both states have managed to damage the educational systems pretty badly.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 02:38 pm
... and they killed the Oregon Health Plan.

Which, by the way, is very much like a big "new" idea that Bush is yakking up according to my daily paper: http://www.oregonlive.com/news/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/front_page/111295426268540.xml
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:02 pm
The Oregon Health Plan seemed like a great idea. Here we had the Basic Health Plan, which helped the uninsured. Same sad story...
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:07 pm
Why do you think we moved from Oklahoma to New York City?

Joe(in the land of the Free)Nation
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:27 pm
old europe wrote:
I love B-U-R-L-I-N-G-T-O-N!

When two Europeans know about Burlington, Vermont, you know you're in Nerdsville Razz
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:32 pm
nimh wrote:
When two Europeans know about Burlington, Vermont, you know you're in Nerdsville Razz

Very Happy

Very true! But what I found almost even more interesting is that Montpelier, VT, is smaller than my home town - and it has a capitol! How absolutely adorable!
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 04:54 pm
<giggles>

Plus - the US may have the most mediatised, impersonal multimillion political races of the world when it comes to the Presidency or this or that Senate race - but at the same time a Progressive candidate from Rochester, Vermont got into the State House for her district by visiting every single of the 1,800 houses in her constituency - at least once.

Such paradoxes ... in January, John Kerry is sitting on the porch of some small-factory town in Iowa with two dozen random rank-and-filers, half a year on he's only doing intricately orchestrated multi-$$ mass media shows ... we don't have either of those things.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:12 pm
Actually,this idea was written about in a series of books by William W. Johnstone.
It was called the "Ashes" series.
Except,his country had conservatives and others that wanted the govt to leave them alone.

Its actually a good series of books.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:14 pm
Kinda ironic. Now the conservatives RUN the gov't and won't leave the rest of us alone...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 05:37 pm
nimh wrote:
Didnt Vermont get so liberal in the first place because progressives flocked to Burlington in the 70s exactly in such a cause - to create a place of their own where they could become dominant?

I know the Libertarians have been trying it with New Hampshire (which won a vote against Montana as the destination of choice among those who pledged to take part) - but someone already posted a link about that.

Hmm ... the 1970s liberal/Progressive "take-over" of Vermont was probly less organised than myth would have it ...

This from some reports of their present-day libertarian counterparts of the Free State Project, who were considering Vermont themselves for a moment:

Quote:
One Vermonter estimates that the number of hippies who moved to Vermont in the 1960s and 1970s was about 20,000

Quote:
[Free State Project mastermind] Sorens' [..] enthusiasm for Vermont is also based in part on the results of their research into the so-called hippie invasion here in the early 1970s.

At the time, news articles and an infamous piece from the April 1972 Playboy Magazine titled "Taking Over Vermont" raised the question of whether a vast influx of young people into Vermont could lead to its takeover.

A lot of Vermonters, including some aging ex-hippies, will tell you no such thing was ever contemplated. Sorens thinks otherwise. He argues the state's shift toward the left over the last 25 years is proof the takeover indeed occurred.

"I think they were certainly less organized than we," Sorens wrote in his e-mail.

Oh and it was Wyoming that came second when the libertarian FSP'ers' eventually voted to collectively move to New Hampshire, a year or two ago ... Montana came third, and Vermont seventh. See here
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 06:36 pm
Dookiestix wrote:
It's sorta happening already (or has been for a while now...).

It's called California, the 5th largest economy in the world.

Although, watching the Governator get mouth cancer and generally make an a$$ out of himself has set us back just a bit...

And MA and NY......
0 Replies