Apollo, Apollyon, Apollonion (and Pericles)

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:18 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,560 • Replies: 11
No top replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:29 pm
It's a type of horse.

Apella actually has the meaning of "assembly," because of the greek horse races, which used apollonian horses (I believe they were imported from an arabian country with a similar name). These assemblies were the predecessors of today's horse races, except gambling has been implemented more strongly. It used to be the "entertainment of kings".

Hope that helps.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 05:42 pm
maybe
So...it could only very indirectly be related to Apollo then...

thank you...yes I guess it helps...
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 06:58 pm
Just another tidbit.
The spiritual theme was ,,know yourself" (the motto at the entrance of the Apollonion mysteries at Delphi).

Actually, if Apollo comes from apella and apella comes from Apollonion...then Apollo = Apollonion in part at least.

But who knows...it's so long ago...

And I am here today and gone tomorrow.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Thu 7 Apr, 2005 07:55 pm
From an article about Nietsche's uberman, uses Apollonion
Another characteristic used to describe an overman originated in his earlier work, The Birth of Tragedy. In this book, the notion of Apollonion and Dionysian principles is used with respect to his analysis of the Greek tragedy. They are used to describe two principles men use in thinking which consequently determine actions. Apollonion principle is the principle of light, rationality, order and clear boundaries whereas Dionysian is the principle of the dark, irratioanality, the collapse of order and boundaries. The Apollonion views an individual as separate from other reality and hence can be viewed dispassionately with rationality. On the other hand, the Dionysian views things as a living whole where one is a part of a larger reality. The Apollonion therefore involves no passion or emotion but pure reasons with order whereas the Dionysian is passionate, dynamic and unpredictable. Nietzsche believes that a balance of the two principles is essential in order to have some meanings in life.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 07:15 am
shunammite~

I think SCoates is pulling your leg.

Apollonion means "of or pertaining to Apollo". It was a name given to
temples of Apollo. As contrasted with Dionysian, it is probably used as an
adjective and would better be spelled "Apollonian".

There may have been persons named Apollonion, but I've never heard of
them, nor can I find any references to them. I did find a strange refernce
to an Apollonius of Thyana, but that was by someone selling magic kits.

~George
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:00 am
hmmmm
My legs are hard to pull...I found oodles of refs, those are quotes...

Will put links later...gonna get in trouble at work, pretty busy on another board...

But again...it was all so long ago...and what does it matter...except...for people ruled by other testimonies from long ago...it's good to get more Light on the subject...same kind of "light"...

After all...the physical is here today gone tomorrow...well I guess the physical is still here...always...but "I" am not...people leave...where do they go, where did they come from...why...why...
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:12 am
I'll go with George the name being Apollonius, which in some of my books, means "destroying".

Many famous people in history were named Apollonius.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:55 am
some links
From a baby name site, lol, and it is Apollonia there, http://www.thinkbabynames.com/search.php?g=0&s=saint:

(ah-poh-LONE-yah) (Latin, Greek) "Belonging to Apollo." Feminine form of Apollo. Mythology: Apollo was the Greek god of sunlight, music, and poetry. Saint Apollonia was an early Christian martyr. In art she is often portrayed with a pair of tongs and an outsized molar. [Abbeline, Abbelina, Apolline, Appoline, Appolinia, Apollinia, Apollyne, Appolonia]

From this link:
http://www.altaegypten.com/English_site/english_site.html

It was the time of individual heroes like Prometheus, Heracles, Odysseus, etc. The spiritual theme was ,,know yourself" (the motto at the entrance of the Apollonion mysteries at Delphi). The fate of an individual person became an important topic in art. Emotional expression was portrayed, and the body mirrored personal biography. Degenerations of the body structure and random movement patterns were visible components of the individual subject.

Hmmm may be right about the Shakespeare source version being Apollonius:

http://encyclopedia.lockergnome.com/s/b/Pericles_Prince_of_Tyre

Pericles was written from 1607 to 1608, and is one of Shakespeare's later plays. It was based on the classical story of Apollonius of Tyre, as retold in Book Eight of Confessio amantis (The Lovers' Confessions) by John Gower, a 14th century English poet whom Shakespeare uses to narrate the story.

Well...add one more "apollo" related name then...

In the Bible, Apollo is actually a legitimate preacher apparently, "some say I am of Apollo, others Paul"... And Apollyon, the bad bad bad angel is the same word, in Greek...

And...the people I know...live..and die...and kill, at least mentally, based on the Bible...

And...I love it also..surprisingly...

But like to know what it actually says...and means...if I can.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 08:59 am
apollonius
http://www.livius.org/ap-ark/apollonius/apollonius01.html

It IS apollonius...damn me...somewhere I got Apollonion in the brain but that is there also, that entrance to Delphi, "know thyself"...

This link is about that Thyana guy...pretty interesting...if he was real...again...who knows...so long ago...
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:02 am
one more..
http://www.in2greece.com/english/historymyth/mythology/names/apollo.htm

One of many sites about Apollo...who sounds just like Jesus...

Very complicated...

Sorry guess this is in the wrong forum but it was about foreign word meanings...and you guys have helped...and helped me help myself, thanks.
0 Replies

shunammite

Reply Fri 8 Apr, 2005 09:21 am
last link I hope...
Another characteristic used to describe an overman originated in his earlier work, The Birth of Tragedy. In this book, the notion of Apollonion and Dionysian principles is used with respect to his analysis of the Greek tragedy. They are used to describe two principles men use in thinking which consequently determine actions. Apollonion principle is the principle of light, rationality, order and clear boundaries whereas Dionysian is the principle of the dark, irratioanality, the collapse of order and boundaries. From this link about Nietsche and his "uberman":

http://www.stanford.edu/~pj97/Nietzsche.htm

The Apollonion views an individual as separate from other reality and hence can be viewed dispassionately with rationality. On the other hand, the Dionysian views things as a living whole where one is a part of a larger reality. The Apollonion therefore involves no passion or emotion but pure reasons with order whereas the Dionysian is passionate, dynamic and unpredictable. Nietzsche believes that a balance of the two principles is essential in order to have some meanings in life. He seems to be very fond of art and viewed that artistic works, paintings, plays, literature or music exhibit a great deal of Dionysian principle in the form of creativity. In his later work, the importance of the Dionysian principle in living a life with values and meanings is expressed clearly. He views that the highest state attainable by a man can be achieved when life is conceived in terms of the realisation of the Dionysian ideal of the overman. That means one must realise and accept his own Dionysian nature and use it appropriately.

And I will leave it alone...but thanks again...well one more thing, this is a language question, the root is obviously Apollo, do the suffixes mean something, like -on or -us or -a?

And I seem to remember something about links not being kosher here...sorry...could hardly address this issue without them, it's ok, I saved this stuff elsewhere...
0 Replies